Enthelpy of formation- NaCl & KCl

In summary, the enthalpy of formation for NaCl and KCl is -411 kJ/mol and -436 kJ/mol, respectively. It is determined by measuring the heat released or absorbed during a reaction and is important in understanding the stability and energy of a compound. The enthalpy of formation for KCl is lower than that of NaCl due to the larger atomic radius and higher polarizability of potassium. While the enthalpy of formation is constant under standard conditions, it can change with different conditions and the presence of impurities or isotopes.
babita

Homework Statement

In my book it is given that ΔHffor NaCl is less negative than that for KCl.
I'm not able to understand that...I think that electrostatic attractions between Na+ and Cl- will be stronger than K+ & Cl- as Na has smaller size than K...in its formation more energy should be released and ΔHffor NaCl should be more negative.

I also noticed that in case of F my reasoning seems correct.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
please reply someone...thanks

1. What is the enthalpy of formation for NaCl and KCl?

The enthalpy of formation for NaCl (sodium chloride) is -411 kJ/mol and for KCl (potassium chloride) is -436 kJ/mol.

2. How is the enthalpy of formation determined?

The enthalpy of formation is determined by measuring the heat released or absorbed during a reaction in which the compound is formed from its constituent elements in their standard states.

3. Why is the enthalpy of formation important?

The enthalpy of formation is important because it provides information about the stability and energy of a compound. It is also used to calculate the enthalpy of reaction for a given reaction.

4. How does the enthalpy of formation for NaCl and KCl compare?

The enthalpy of formation for KCl is lower than that of NaCl, meaning that KCl is more stable and has a lower energy compared to NaCl. This is due to the larger atomic radius and higher polarizability of potassium compared to sodium.

5. Can the enthalpy of formation change?

The enthalpy of formation is a constant value for a particular compound under standard conditions. However, it can change with different conditions such as temperature and pressure. It can also be affected by the presence of impurities or isotopes in the compound.