Enthelpy of vaporization of hexane

In summary, the conversation is discussing the estimation of the enthalpy of vaporization for hexane using the Clausius-Clapeyron equation. The attempt at solving for this value resulted in a difference from the expected answer. It is suggested to obtain a (T,p) point closer to the desired temperature and pressure for a more accurate estimation.
ricard.py

Homework Statement

The normal boiling point of hexane is 69.0°C. Estimate (a) its enthalpy
of vaporization

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to solve for ΔHvap in the Clausius-Clapeyron equation I need a reference T and p point. I extracted it from the triple point (T=178K and p=1,23Pa).
I solve and I get 34kJ/mol, while the answer is 29,1kJ/mol. What I've done wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The Clausius-Clapeyron equation is just an approximation, because it is assumed in deriving it that the enthalpy of vaporization is temperature independent and that the gas phase behaves as an ideal gas. Like it's said in the question, you are only expected to give an estimate, anyway.

Likes 1 person
So how would you do to get a more accurate result? One option is to get a (T,p) point closer to the desired 69ºC and 1bar, but if this is not available...?

What is the enthalpy of vaporization of hexane?

The enthalpy of vaporization of hexane is a measure of the energy required to convert one mole of liquid hexane into its gaseous state at a constant pressure and temperature. It is typically expressed in units of joules per mole (J/mol).

Why is the enthalpy of vaporization of hexane important?

The enthalpy of vaporization of hexane is important because it is a key factor in determining the boiling point of hexane, as well as its ability to evaporate and form a vapor at a given temperature. It is also a useful parameter in understanding the thermodynamic properties of hexane and its behavior in various processes and reactions.

How is the enthalpy of vaporization of hexane measured?

The enthalpy of vaporization of hexane is typically measured using calorimetry, which involves measuring the heat flow during the phase transition from liquid to gas. The heat flow is then used to calculate the enthalpy of vaporization using the equation q = ∆Hvap * n, where q is the heat flow, ∆Hvap is the enthalpy of vaporization, and n is the number of moles of hexane.

What factors affect the enthalpy of vaporization of hexane?

The enthalpy of vaporization of hexane can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities. Generally, the enthalpy of vaporization increases as temperature and pressure increase, and decreases with the presence of impurities. It can also be affected by the molecular structure and intermolecular forces of hexane.

How does the enthalpy of vaporization of hexane compare to other substances?

The enthalpy of vaporization of hexane is relatively low compared to other substances, such as water. This is due to the weaker intermolecular forces present in hexane compared to substances with stronger hydrogen bonding, like water. However, the enthalpy of vaporization of hexane is still significant and plays an important role in its physical and chemical properties.