Enthalpy of vaporization of hexane using Clausius-Clapeyron

  • Thread starter Thread starter ricard.py
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Vaporization
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
ricard.py
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The normal boiling point of hexane is 69.0°C. Estimate (a) its enthalpy
of vaporization

The Attempt at a Solution


In order to solve for ΔHvap in the Clausius-Clapeyron equation I need a reference T and p point. I extracted it from the triple point (T=178K and p=1,23Pa).
I solve and I get 34kJ/mol, while the answer is 29,1kJ/mol. What I've done wrong?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The Clausius-Clapeyron equation is just an approximation, because it is assumed in deriving it that the enthalpy of vaporization is temperature independent and that the gas phase behaves as an ideal gas. Like it's said in the question, you are only expected to give an estimate, anyway.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
So how would you do to get a more accurate result? One option is to get a (T,p) point closer to the desired 69ºC and 1bar, but if this is not available...?