Equation for airtime given velocity?

• Thread starter Toptomcat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the equation for air time given velocity is d = v*t + 1/2at^2, where d represents displacement, v represents velocity, and a represents acceleration. To find the air time, one must set the displacement equal to 0, and solve for t using the given velocity and acceleration values.
Toptomcat
Equation for air time given velocity?

Homework Statement

Given a certain velocity going straight up in a vacuum on Earth from y = 0 m, how long does a mass remain in the air? Create an equation.
(So, for example, if you throw a baseball up at 20 m/second, how long will it take for it to fall back to your hand?)

Homework Equations

Unsure...d = v*t + 1/2at^2?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that this should be really elementary, but I must be really sleep-deprived because I'm just not seeing how to extrapolate it from my standard kinematics equations.
For the record, this isn't the whole question, just the part of a lab I'm hung up on...so please don't think I'm trying to get you guys to do my job for me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the correct equation. Just consider this: the d is a vector. It represents the "displacement," or the straight line distance between the initial and final positions of the mass.

Now assume that the mass falls back to the its initial position. What is d =?

Oh. Okay. So for the sample;
0 = 20*t + 1/2(-9.8)t^2
0 = 20t + -4.9t^2
0 = 20t - -4.9t^2...
...apply Quadratic Formula at this point?

Last edited:
No, it's easier than that. Subtract 20t from both sides. then...

1. What is the equation for calculating airtime given velocity?

The equation for calculating airtime given velocity is t = 2v/g, where t is the airtime in seconds, v is the initial velocity in meters per second, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

2. How is this equation derived?

The equation is derived from the kinematic equation d = v0t + 1/2at², where d is the distance traveled, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. By rearranging this equation to solve for t, we get t = (√(2d/a)). Since airtime is the time it takes for an object to reach its maximum height and then fall back down, the distance traveled is equal to half of the maximum height (d = 1/2h). Therefore, we can substitute 1/2h for d and solve for t, which results in t = 2v/g.

3. Can this equation be used for any object or only for objects in free fall?

This equation can only be used for objects in free fall, where the only force acting on the object is gravity. For objects with air resistance or other external forces, the airtime equation would be more complex and would depend on the specific scenario.

4. Does airtime depend on the initial velocity?

Yes, airtime is directly proportional to the initial velocity. This means that the higher the initial velocity, the longer the airtime will be.

5. How accurate is this equation for real-world scenarios?

This equation is a simplified model and does not account for air resistance, which can significantly affect the airtime of an object. Therefore, it may not be very accurate for real-world scenarios. However, it can provide a good estimate for objects in free fall in a vacuum.