Equation for the frequency of light from an accelerating charge

In summary, the conversation discusses the frequency of light emitted by an electron that is accelerating along the x-axis at 10 meters per second squared. The equations for the electric and magnetic fields of an accelerating charge suggest that the frequency spectrum is continuous and time-varying. The equivalence principle only applies locally, so it may not necessarily apply to the electromagnetic field of a charge that fills all of space. The expression for the frequency of light emitted is complicated and cannot be explained at a B-level. It is also noted that a charge with constant acceleration does not radiate, whether in a rocket or at rest in a gravitational field.
ealbers
Say I have a electron in space, its accelerating along say the x-axis at 10 meters per sec^2, what frequency of light does it emit?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such equation. It's not a single frequency. The equations that do exist, which are complicated, really cannot be explained at the B level.

Really?
Can't they measure this? Say take a vacuum tube and shoot electrons one at a time down it and measure the waves given off? A old tv with an electron gun has accelerating electrons, does it emit waves?

Of course you can measure the electromagnetic field of an accelerating charge. I doubt it's simple to do because you want to ignore whatever powerful field is accelerating the charge, but it could be done.

However, taking a look at the equations for the electric and magnetic fields of an accelerating charge (see equation 32 in this PDF) and the diagram of the electric field and Poynting vector (diagram at top of p6 in the above) I suspect that the frequency spectrum is continuous, broad, and time-varying. So I'd be surprised if there's "a frequency", so much as a time-and-distance dependent power spectrum.

Why do you want to know?

Likes vanhees71
I was reading about the equivalence principal and was curious how it handles a electron in the accelerating rocket vs one on the earth...seems the one in the rocket should radiate a frequency, just wondering what frequency the Earth one would give off. I THOUGHT it would be some kind of simple linear relationship between the charge and the acceleration q and a say, but apparently its a bit more complicated.

That's complicated. The short answer is that the equivalence principle only applies locally (the formal statement is that second derivatives of the metric can be made to vanish at one event, and are negligible in a small volume around it). However, the electromagnetic field of a charge fills all of space (in principle), so we don't necessarily expect the equivalence principle to apply here.

I have to admit that the formal discussion around this went over my head the last time it came up. A search of the relativity forum may well turn up the thread if you want to see.

ealbers said:
Can't they measure this?

I never said they couldn't. I said that there is not a single frequency and that the expression is complicated - too complicated for B-level.

ealbers said:
just wondering what frequency the Earth one would give off

It gives off no radiation, as it is not accelerated. (Well; actually it emits a very small amount of radiation with a frequency of 1/24 h because the Earth is spinning)

Likes davenn

What is the equation for the frequency of light from an accelerating charge?

The equation for the frequency of light from an accelerating charge is given by f = qE/2πm, where f is the frequency, q is the charge of the accelerating particle, E is the electric field strength, and m is the mass of the particle.

How is the frequency of light affected by an accelerating charge?

The frequency of light is directly proportional to the acceleration of the charged particle. This means that as the acceleration increases, the frequency of light also increases.

What is the significance of the equation for the frequency of light from an accelerating charge?

This equation is important because it helps us understand the relationship between the acceleration of a charged particle and the resulting frequency of light emitted. It is also used in various fields such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics.

Can this equation be used to calculate the frequency of any type of light?

No, this equation is specifically for the frequency of light emitted by an accelerating charge. Other factors such as the type of material and energy levels also affect the frequency of light.

What are the units of measurement for the variables in this equation?

The frequency is measured in hertz (Hz), the charge is measured in coulombs (C), the electric field strength is measured in volts per meter (V/m), and the mass is measured in kilograms (kg).