Equation for velocity of center of mass

In summary, the equation to find the velocity of the center of mass is: x_{CofM}=\frac{m_1x_1+m_2x_2}{M_{total}} v_{CofM}=\frac{p}{M_{total}} which means that if momentum is p=momentum over total mass, v_{CofM}=\frac{p}{M_{total}}.
UrbanXrisis
What is the equation to find the velocity of the center of mass?

since...
[tex]x_{CofM}=\frac{m_1x_1+m_2x_2}{M_{total}}[/tex]
then...
[tex]v_{CofM}=\frac{d(m_1x_1+m_2x_2)}{dt(M_{total})}[/tex]
this means...
if p=momentum
[tex]v_{CofM}=\frac{p}{M_{total}}[/tex]

is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Though i didn't understand very well what your formulas meant (i must be having a bad day :-p ),i can tell you that it's the other way around:
VCM (velocity of the center of mass) results immediately by computing the total (linear) momentum in 2 ways...

Daniel.

I'm not quite sure I undersatnd what you are saying...what 2 ways?

let me explain.

[tex]x_{CofM}=\frac{m_1x_1+m_2x_2}{M_{total}}[/tex]
is the equation to calcualte the distance of center of mass. I took the derivative of it to find the velocity. Therefore, my second equation was the velocity of the center of mass. My third equation went further to say that d(m1v1+m2v2)/dt was really momentum. So... VCM is really momentum over the total mass

I know what u did.It's not wrong at all.I've just given u an alternative approach and i think much more intuitive.

Daniel.

does the momentum of the center of mass tell the total linear momentum of the system?

Or do I have to caculate the momentum of each object and then add them together?

Of course.The total linear momentum of the system is the linear momentum if the CM.

Daniel.

in an elastice collision, the VCM is the same before and after to collisions right?

Yes,and that's due to total linear momentum conservation.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Of course.The total linear momentum of the system is the linear momentum if the CM.

Daniel.

I have the velocity of the CM to be (3.00i-0.8j)m/s
would the total linear momentum be...
[tex]v=\sqrt{3^2+.8^2}[/tex]
[tex]v=3.1m/s[/tex]
[tex]p=(m_1+m_2)v[/tex]
[tex]p=(3kg+2kg)3.1m/s[/tex]
[tex]15.5Ns[/tex]

Would 15.5Ns be the total linear momentum?

Yes,of course.

Daniel.

FAQ: Equation for velocity of center of mass

What is the equation for calculating the velocity of the center of mass?

The equation for calculating the velocity of the center of mass is v = (m1v1 + m2v2 + ... + mnvn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn), where m represents the mass of an object and v represents its velocity.

Why is it important to calculate the velocity of the center of mass?

Calculating the velocity of the center of mass is important because it allows us to understand the overall motion of a system. It helps us determine how the individual parts of a system are moving relative to each other and to the external environment.

What is the significance of the center of mass in physics?

The center of mass is an important concept in physics because it is the point at which the mass of a system can be considered to be concentrated. It simplifies the analysis of complex systems by allowing us to treat the entire system as if it were a single point.

Does the velocity of the center of mass change over time?

Yes, the velocity of the center of mass can change over time. This can occur if the individual masses within the system are moving at different velocities or if external forces are acting on the system.

How does the equation for velocity of center of mass differ from that of average velocity?

The equation for velocity of center of mass is similar to that of average velocity, but it takes into account the individual masses of the objects in a system. The average velocity equation only considers the overall displacement of the system, while the center of mass velocity equation considers both the displacement and the individual masses of the objects. Additionally, the average velocity equation assumes a constant velocity, while the center of mass velocity equation can account for changes in velocity over time.

Back