Equation of the Osculating circle

• Thread starter chillpenguin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary: Thank you for your response. Before you replied I thought of something. Tell me if it's a valid argument. Since the graph of this parametric is symmetrical, and both my points are on either the y or x axis, wouldn't the center of the osculating circle be on the x or y axis? So I could just subtract the radius from 2 for the first one and 3 for the second one. Is that valid? For example: the point (2,0) had a radius of curvature of 27/6. I could subtract that from 2 and get -5/2. So the center would be -5/2. Is that correct?That looks correct. Luckily, you have points where
chillpenguin

Homework Statement

The ellipse has equations x = 2cos(t) and y = 3sin(t) where 0 <= t <= 2*pi
The problem asked me to calculate the curvature at points (2,0) and (0,3). I did that, but now the problem asks what the equation of the osculating circle is at each of those points. I know the radius of curvature of each of those points since I already calculated the curvature. But I'm not sure how to figure out where the center of the osculating circle needs to be.

Homework Equations

I used this equation for calculating curvature of a parametric curve: http://math.info/image/58/curvature_parametric.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
chillpenguin said:

Homework Statement

The ellipse has equations x = 2cos(t) and y = 3sin(t) where 0 <= t <= 2*pi
The problem asked me to calculate the curvature at points (2,0) and (0,3). I did that, but now the problem asks what the equation of the osculating circle is at each of those points. I know the radius of curvature of each of those points since I already calculated the curvature. But I'm not sure how to figure out where the center of the osculating circle needs to be.

Homework Equations

I used this equation for calculating curvature of a parametric curve: http://math.info/image/58/curvature_parametric.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

You know the radius of the osculating circle is equal to the radius of curvature. To find the center of the osculating circle, move from the curve a distance equal the radius along the direction of the principle normal (the direction of the normal component of acceleration).

Thank you for your response. Before you replied I thought of something. Tell me if it's a valid argument. Since the graph of this parametric is symmetrical, and both my points are on either the y or x axis, wouldn't the center of the osculating circle be on the x or y axis? So I could just subtract the radius from 2 for the first one and 3 for the second one. Is that valid? For example: the point (2,0) had a radius of curvature of 27/6. I could subtract that from 2 and get -5/2. So the center would be -5/2. Is that correct?

chillpenguin said:
Thank you for your response. Before you replied I thought of something. Tell me if it's a valid argument. Since the graph of this parametric is symmetrical, and both my points are on either the y or x axis, wouldn't the center of the osculating circle be on the x or y axis? So I could just subtract the radius from 2 for the first one and 3 for the second one. Is that valid? For example: the point (2,0) had a radius of curvature of 27/6. I could subtract that from 2 and get -5/2. So the center would be -5/2. Is that correct?

That looks correct. Luckily, you have points where the direction of the normal is easy.

I hope my instructor doesn't dock me points for taking a shortcut haha

What is the equation of the Osculating circle?

The equation of the Osculating circle is a mathematical formula that describes the circle that best approximates the curvature of a curve at a specific point. It is also known as the "circle of curvature".

How do you calculate the equation of the Osculating circle?

The equation of the Osculating circle can be calculated using the following formula: x^2 + y^2 = (1 + [dy/dx]^2)^3/(d^2y/dx^2)^2, where dy/dx and d^2y/dx^2 are the first and second derivatives of the curve at the given point.

What is the significance of the Osculating circle?

The Osculating circle is significant because it helps us understand the curvature of a curve at a specific point. It also allows us to approximate the behavior of the curve in the surrounding area.

Can the equation of the Osculating circle be used for any curve?

Yes, the equation of the Osculating circle can be used for any curve, as long as the curve is differentiable (meaning it has a well-defined derivative at each point).

How is the Osculating circle related to the normal vector of a curve?

The Osculating circle is related to the normal vector of a curve because the radius of the Osculating circle at a specific point is equal to the reciprocal of the curvature of the curve at that point, and the curvature is related to the normal vector. In other words, the normal vector of the curve at a point is tangent to the Osculating circle at that same point.