Equations for fk, Wfk, and WF as an expression

• Thread starter svfetz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, Homework Statement states that a block with mass is pulled along a horizontal surface by a constant force vector at an angle, and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the table is μk. No work is done by the friction force, but Wfk=-4.0J when F is 17.0N.
svfetz

Homework Statement

(a) A block with a mass m is pulled along a horizontal surface for a distance x by a constant force vector F at an angle θ with respect to the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between block and table is μk. Is the force exerted by friction equal to μkmg?
ANSWER = No (Correct )

Enter the expression that describes only the magnitude of the force exerted by friction. (Use any variable or symbol stated above along with the following as necessary: g and F for the magnitude of vector F .)

fk = ?

(b) How much work is done by the friction force and by vector F ? (Don't forget the signs. Use any variable or symbol stated above along with the following as necessary: g and F for the magnitude of vector F .)
Wfk = ?
WF =?

The Attempt at a Solution

fk= μk (mg-Fsin(θ))
Wfk=-(cos(θ))d
WF=mg(sin(θ))d

*d= distance

I'm struggling coming up with the correct equations. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi svfetz! welcome to pf! :smile:
svfetz said:
fk= μk (mg-Fsin(θ))
Wfk=-(cos(θ))d
WF=mg(sin(θ))d

*d= distance

your fk is correct :smile:

but i don't understand what formula you're using for work done :confused:

Hi :smile:

For my submission for fk webassign didn't like my answer for it so I have no idea what I am doing wrong because you agree its right.

For my other two equations I used W= FΔh and used cos and sin because it is getting pulled at an angle. So w=(Fcosθ)Δh?

Ahhh, I'm so confused right now that I don't even know what I did anymore:confused:

**For my Homework webassign hates me. (this is just the full problem)

(a) A block with a mass m is pulled along a horizontal surface for a distance x by a constant force vector F at an angle θ with respect to the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between block and table is μk. Is the force exerted by friction equal to μkmg?
No

Enter the expression that describes only the magnitude of the force exerted by friction. (Use any variable or symbol stated above along with the following as necessary: g and F for the magnitude of vector F .)
fk =

(b) How much work is done by the friction force and by vector F ? (Don't forget the signs. Use any variable or symbol stated above along with the following as necessary: g and F for the magnitude of vector F .)
Wfk =
WF =

(c) Identify all the forces that do no work on the block.
1. friction vector f k 2.vector n 3.vector F sin(θ) 4. mvector g 5.vector F cos(θ)

(d) Let m = 2.00 kg, x = 4.00 m, θ = 41.0°, F = 17.0 N, and μk = 0.400, and find the answers to parts (a) and (b). (Include appropriate signs.)

fk = -12.3 NThe response you submitted has the wrong sign.
Wfk = -4.0 J Wrong
WF = 68.15 J Wrong

hi svfetz! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
svfetz said:
For my other two equations I used W= FΔh and used cos and sin because it is getting pulled at an angle. So w=(Fcosθ)Δh?

yes :smile:
(d) Let m = 2.00 kg, x = 4.00 m, θ = 41.0°, F = 17.0 N, and μk = 0.400, and find the answers to parts (a) and (b). (Include appropriate signs.)

fk = -12.3 NThe response you submitted has the wrong sign.
Wfk = -4.0 J Wrong
WF = 68.15 J Wrong

sorry, i don't follow any of these :confused:

how did you get WF ?​

For the first equation, fk, we can use the formula for friction force: fk = μkN, where N is the normal force. In this case, the normal force is equal to mgcos(θ), so the equation becomes:

fk = μk(mgcos(θ))

For the second equation, Wfk, we can use the formula for work: W = Fdcos(θ). In this case, the force is the friction force, so the equation becomes:

Wfk = fkdcos(θ) = μk(mgcos(θ))dcos(θ)

For the third equation, WF, we can use the formula for work again, but this time the force is the applied force F, so the equation becomes:

WF = Fdcos(θ) = Fdcos(θ) = (mgcos(θ))dcos(θ)

So the final expressions are:

fk = μk(mgcos(θ))

Wfk = μk(mgcos(θ))dcos(θ)

WF = (mgcos(θ))dcos(θ)

1. What are equations for fk, Wfk, and WF as an expression?

The equations for fk, Wfk, and WF as an expression are mathematical representations of the relationships between these variables. They help us understand how fk, Wfk, and WF are related to each other and how they may change under different conditions.

2. Why are equations for fk, Wfk, and WF important in science?

Equations for fk, Wfk, and WF are important in science because they allow us to make predictions and test hypotheses about the behavior of these variables. They also provide a way to quantify and measure the relationships between these variables.

3. How do you solve equations for fk, Wfk, and WF?

To solve equations for fk, Wfk, and WF, you need to first determine the known values for the variables and plug them into the equation. Then, you can use algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to isolate the desired variable and solve for its value.

4. Can equations for fk, Wfk, and WF be used in all scientific fields?

Yes, equations for fk, Wfk, and WF can be used in all scientific fields. These equations are fundamental to the understanding of various phenomena and can be applied in different scientific disciplines, such as physics, chemistry, and biology.

5. How do changes in fk, Wfk, and WF affect each other?

Changes in fk, Wfk, and WF can affect each other in different ways depending on the specific equation and the relationship between the variables. In some cases, an increase in one variable may lead to a corresponding increase or decrease in another variable, while in other cases, the relationship may be more complex and not directly proportional.