Equicontinuity and uniform convergence

In summary, the statement is true if X is compact, but not if Y is compact. The proof is based on the following: let ε > 0 be given and let x0 be a point of X. The proof is based on the following: let ε > 0 be given and let x0 be a point of X. The proof is based on the following: for all x in X, and for n >= N, we have d(f(x), fn(x)) < ε/3. The proof is correct.
radou
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

This is a nice one, if it's correct.

Show that if (fn) is a sequence of elements of C(X, Y) (where Y is a metric space) which converges uniformly, then the collection {fn} is equicontinuous.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ε > 0 be given and let x0 be a point of X. The proof is based on the following:

d(fn(x0), fn(x)) <= d(fn(x0), f(x0)) + d(f(x0), f(x)) + d(f(x), fn(x)).

Since fn converges uniformly, we can find a positive integer N such that, for all x in X, and for n >= N, we have d(f(x), fn(x)) < ε/3. Since f is continuous, for ε/3 choose a neighborhood U of x0 such that whenever x is in U, we have d(f(x0), f(x)) < ε/3. Now the upper inequality becomes d(fn(x0), fn(x)) < ε, for all x in X (and hence for all x in U), and for all n >= N, i.e. for all but finitely members of the collection {fn}. Now, for every of the remaining members of {fn], use continuity of fn at x0 to find neighborhoods of x0 such that d(fn(x0), fn(x)) < ε. Now, intersect this finite number of neighborhoods of x0 with the neighborhood U, call this intersection U'. Clearly, for any x in U, we have d(fn(x0), fn(x)) < ε, for all elements of {fn}.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is X compact here? Because if it is not, i don't think the statement is even true. The problem is that if X is not compact than f may or may not be uniformly continuous, which is crucial in this case. For, if f is not uniformly continuous you won't be able to find an epsilon that will work for all N and all x.

Other than this, your proof seems correct.

No, Y is not assumed to be compact.

The proof is correct. I don't think you need compactness or uniform continuity here...

micromass said:
The proof is correct. I don't think you need compactness or uniform continuity here...

Thanks!

Btw, it seems I found the first error in Munkres, after 278 pages!

Definition. If (Y, d) is a metric space, a subset F of C(X, Y) is said to be pointwise bounded under d if for each x in X, the subset Fa = {f(a) : f is in F} of Y is bounded under d.

I assume he meant Fx = {f(x) : f is in F}, right? I mean, it's not a big mistake (if!) but I want to make sure, since I need this definition in another proof...

Haha! You're correct, Munkres indeed made a mistake here :smile:

micromass said:
Haha! You're correct, Munkres indeed made a mistake here :smile:

OK! Now off to proving Arzela's theorem... :biggrin:

What is equicontinuity?

Equicontinuity is a property of a set of functions, where all the functions in the set are continuous and there exists a single value of delta that works for all functions in the set. This means that small changes in the input will result in small changes in the output for all functions in the set.

What is uniform convergence?

Uniform convergence is a type of convergence of a sequence of functions, where the functions in the sequence approach a limiting function at a uniform rate. This means that for any given epsilon, there exists a value of N such that the difference between the limiting function and all functions in the sequence is less than epsilon for all x in the domain.

How are equicontinuity and uniform convergence related?

Equicontinuity is a necessary condition for uniform convergence. This means that for a sequence of functions to converge uniformly, the set of functions must first be equicontinuous. Equicontinuity ensures that the functions in the sequence are close enough to each other to converge uniformly.

What are some applications of equicontinuity and uniform convergence?

Equicontinuity and uniform convergence are important concepts in functional analysis, and have applications in fields such as differential equations, complex analysis, and numerical analysis. They are also used in the study of dynamical systems and the convergence of algorithms.

How can equicontinuity and uniform convergence be tested for a set of functions?

Equicontinuity can be tested by checking if all the functions in the set satisfy the definition of equicontinuity. Uniform convergence can be tested by using the Cauchy criterion, which states that a sequence of functions is uniformly convergent if and only if it satisfies the Cauchy criterion.