1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium Ball attached to wall problem

1. Jan 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A uniform sphere of mass m and radius r is held in place by a massless rope attached to a frictionless wall a distance L above the center of the sphere. Find (a) the tension in the rope and (b) the force on the sphere from the wall.

2. Relevant equations
    net torque = 0
    net force = 0
    t=force of tension
    F=force of wall
    mg=gravitational force on ball
    3. The attempt at a solution
    well, strangely enough I am able to solve for part B. choosing the point where the string is attached to the wall as my origin. I am able to determine the torque caused by tension to be 0 as the tension force runs 180 parallel the string. Using motion arm times force = torque, I can find the remaining torques so that:
    which yields
    which is the correct answer to part B. However, I have no clue how to solve part A. I have already used my torque, so I tried setting the force equations for the x and y axis to 0.
    but that doesn't get me anything close to the correct answer of

help please
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Either one of those force equations will get you the answer. Hint: Evaluate sin(x)--or cos(x)--in terms of the lengths given.
  4. Jan 6, 2008 #3
    oh, thanks!...so

replace L/a for cosx
    by pyth. theorem a = sqrt(r^2+L^2)

THANK YOU SO MUCH! It feels so good to get that problem done. For awhile I thought that there would be something way complex to do that would take a lot of work...and I was intimidated to go any further. Thanks again.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?