Equilibrium Ball attached to wall problem

In summary, a uniform sphere of mass m and radius r is held in place by a massless rope attached to a frictionless wall a distance L above the center of the sphere. To solve for the tension in the rope, you can set the torque caused by tension to be 0 and use motion arm times force = torque to find the remaining torques. This yields the equation T=(mg/L)*sqrt(L^2+r^2), which is the correct answer for part A. For part B, you can use the fact that net force = 0 to find the force on the sphere from the wall, which is F=mgr/L. By evaluating sin(x) or cos(x) in terms of the lengths given, you
brendan3eb

Homework Statement

A uniform sphere of mass m and radius r is held in place by a massless rope attached to a frictionless wall a distance L above the center of the sphere. Find (a) the tension in the rope and (b) the force on the sphere from the wall.

Homework Equations

net torque = 0
net force = 0
t=force of tension
F=force of wall
mg=gravitational force on ball

The Attempt at a Solution

well, strangely enough I am able to solve for part B. choosing the point where the string is attached to the wall as my origin. I am able to determine the torque caused by tension to be 0 as the tension force runs 180 parallel the string. Using motion arm times force = torque, I can find the remaining torques so that:
-mgr+t*0+L*F=0
which yields
F=mgr/L
which is the correct answer to part B. However, I have no clue how to solve part A. I have already used my torque, so I tried setting the force equations for the x and y-axis to 0.
T*cos(x)-mg=0
F-T*sin(x)=0
but that doesn't get me anything close to the correct answer of
T=(mg/L)*sqrt(L^2+r^2)

help please

Physics news on Phys.org
brendan3eb said:
However, I have no clue how to solve part A. I have already used my torque, so I tried setting the force equations for the x and y-axis to 0.
T*cos(x)-mg=0
F-T*sin(x)=0
but that doesn't get me anything close to the correct answer of
T=(mg/L)*sqrt(L^2+r^2)
Either one of those force equations will get you the answer. Hint: Evaluate sin(x)--or cos(x)--in terms of the lengths given.

oh, thanks!...so

t*cosx-mg
t*cosx=mg
replace L/a for cosx
t*(L/a)=mg
t=mg/L*a
by pyth. theorem a = sqrt(r^2+L^2)
t=(mg/L)sqrt(r^2+L^2)

THANK YOU SO MUCH! It feels so good to get that problem done. For awhile I thought that there would be something way complex to do that would take a lot of work...and I was intimidated to go any further. Thanks again.

1. How do you determine the forces acting on the equilibrium ball attached to a wall?

To determine the forces acting on the equilibrium ball, we must first draw a free body diagram. This diagram will include the weight of the ball acting downwards, the normal force from the wall acting upwards, and any other external forces such as friction or tension. By using Newton's laws of motion and setting the net force equal to zero, we can solve for the unknown forces.

2. What is the condition for the ball to be in equilibrium?

The condition for the ball to be in equilibrium is when the net force acting on the ball is equal to zero. This means that all the forces acting on the ball must be balanced and cancel each other out, resulting in no acceleration or movement.

3. Can the position of the equilibrium ball be changed without changing the forces acting on it?

Yes, the position of the equilibrium ball can be changed without changing the forces acting on it. This is because the forces acting on the ball are dependent on its position, but as long as the net force remains zero, the ball will still be in equilibrium.

4. What factors can affect the equilibrium of the ball attached to a wall?

The factors that can affect the equilibrium of the ball attached to a wall include the weight of the ball, the angle at which it is attached to the wall, and any external forces applied to the ball such as friction or tension. Changes in any of these factors can disrupt the equilibrium and cause the ball to move.

5. How can the equilibrium ball attached to a wall problem be applied in real-life scenarios?

The equilibrium ball attached to a wall problem can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as determining the stability of a structure or the balance of an object. It can also be used in physics experiments and demonstrations to understand the concept of equilibrium and how forces interact with each other.