Equilibrium meter stick problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum value of theta for which a uniform meter stick, held by a cord at an angle theta with the stick, will remain in equilibrium against a vertical wall with a coefficient of static friction of 0.360. The problem also asks for the minimum value of x for which the stick will remain in equilibrium when theta is 17 degrees, and the minimum coefficient of static friction needed for a block attached at 12.0 cm from the left end of the stick to not cause it to slip. The solution involves creating a free body diagram and using equations for torque to find the maximum value of theta and solve for the other parts of the problem. The problem does not provide numerical values, so letters are
jaymode
Alright well I have an equilibrium problem to do and I have sat here and stared at it but it does not really seem to make sense or I can't see a way of solving it:
The problem is this(also see attached image):
One end of a uniform meter stick is placed against a vertical wall. The other end is held by a lightweight cord that makes an angle theta with the stick. The coefficient of static friction between the end of the meter stick and the wall is 0.360 .

I need to find the maximum value of theta for which the stick well remain in equilibrium; when theta equals 17 degrees, find the minimum value of x for which the stick will remain in equilibrium; and when theta equals 17 degrees, how large must the coefficient of static friction be so that the block can be attached 12.0 cm from the left end of the stick without causing it to slip?

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 1,418
Physics news on Phys.org
Focus on one problem at a time, and make a free body diagram. Theres a downward torque from the block and an upward torque from the string.

whozum said:
Focus on one problem at a time, and make a free body diagram. Theres a downward torque from the block and an upward torque from the string.
I am not given a weight, mass or gravity so I don't see how torque would help me.

The way I see it, the angle that I am trying to find has something to do with the coefficient of friction, and that's all I know.

You may have to assume that the masses are given. Since they did not say that the meter stick is light, you may have to consider it's it weight too.

alright I feel really stupid because I am still having trouble getting it. This is a mastering physics problem and mass is not a variable, or so it says. Maybe I am supposed to eliminate it or something?

I tried soving the first part of the problem. I to torque about the masses connection in order to cancel it out of the calculation. Here is how far I got:

[tex] 0 = Tsin\theta + \mu T cos\theta - g(m_{Rod} + m_{Box}) [/tex]
[tex] 0 = Tsin\theta (1-x) - \mu Tcos\theta x + g(0.5m_{Rod}) [/tex]
[tex] N = Tcos\theta [/tex]

here is where I am stuck. For the other parts of the queston, I haven't tried them yet. If you could, write the complete question, all information included.

Regards,

Nenad

Nenad said:
I tried soving the first part of the problem. I to torque about the masses connection in order to cancel it out of the calculation. Here is how far I got:

[tex] 0 = Tsin\theta + \mu T cos\theta - g(m_{Rod} + m_{Box}) [/tex]
[tex] 0 = Tsin\theta (1-x) - \mu Tcos\theta x + g(0.5m_{Rod}) [/tex]
[tex] N = Tcos\theta [/tex]

here is where I am stuck. For the other parts of the queston, I haven't tried them yet. If you could, write the complete question, all information included.

Regards,

Nenad

That pretty much is the complete question but I will type it out exaclty:
A. What is the maximum value the angle \theta can have if the stick is to remain in equilibrium?

B. Let the angle between the cord and the stick is theta = 17.0 degrees. A block of the same weight as the meter stick is suspended from the stick, as shown, at a distance x from the wall. What is the minimum value of x for which the stick will remain in equilibrium?

C. When theta = 17.0 degrees, how large must the coefficient of static friction be so that the block can be attached 12.0 cm from the left end of the stick without causing it to slip?

And the problem is exactly the same as what was in the first post.

ok since you are not given any NUMBERS you have to make do with ALPHABETS instead. Assume soemthing like this, mass of the block is M, tension of the string is T, and so on. Just think you had numbers but instead just put in the alphabets in the places

for the first part
look at the NET torques exerted by all the components of the system
Assume all forces/torques pointing upward are positive
When calculating the torques of each system use the formula
[tex] \tau = rF sin \theta [/tex]
where theta is the angle between the radius from the center of mass and the force F is acting on it. Since this system is in equilibrium there is no motion, SO the torques wll add up to what?

form the equations from what info i have given to you, thereafter you can address the problems you are given. THink step by step!

stunner5000pt said:
ok since you are not given any NUMBERS you have to make do with ALPHABETS instead. Assume soemthing like this, mass of the block is M, tension of the string is T, and so on. Just think you had numbers but instead just put in the alphabets in the places

for the first part
look at the NET torques exerted by all the components of the system
Assume all forces/torques pointing upward are positive
When calculating the torques of each system use the formula
[tex] \tau = rF sin \theta [/tex]
where theta is the angle between the radius from the center of mass and the force F is acting on it. Since this system is in equilibrium there is no motion, SO the torques wll add up to what?

form the equations from what info i have given to you, thereafter you can address the problems you are given. THink step by step!

If you haven't noticed, we alwready got that far. I am trying to solve the first part. Give me some time, I'll have it done.

Regards,

Nenad

For the stick to not to slip, [tex] F \leq \mu N [/tex] ------------(1)

Using Nenad's approach, find F and N and substitue in the above inequality equation. You should get [tex] tan \theta \leq ...[/tex] ----------(2)

or [tex] \theta \leq ...[/tex]. This is the max value of theta.

Rest of the problems just follows from equation (2).

Part ii of you question gives you the value of theta and ask for minimum value of x. So substitue for theta= 17 degrees in eq(2) and rearrange to get

[tex] x \geq ...[/tex] ; Also in this part they are saying m(rod) = m (hanging mass). That may simplify your expression.

In part iii , theta and x are given. Substitute them in (2) and rearrange to get mu.

Note: I am a little not clear on the direction of forces at the point where the meter stick touch the wall. I believe Nenad is correct. Frictional force F is along the wall upward direction and the Normal Force N is along the rod to the right.

Gamma said:
For the stick to not to slip, [tex] F \leq \mu N [/tex] ------------(1)

Using Nenad's approach, find F and N and substitue in the above inequality equation. You should get [tex] tan \theta \leq ...[/tex] ----------(2)

or [tex] \theta \leq ...[/tex]. This is the max value of theta.

Rest of the problems just follows from equation (2).

Part ii of you question gives you the value of theta and ask for minimum value of x. So substitue for theta= 17 degrees in eq(2) and rearrange to get

[tex] x \geq ...[/tex] ; Also in this part they are saying m(rod) = m (hanging mass). That may simplify your expression.

In part iii , theta and x are given. Substitute them in (2) and rearrange to get mu.

Note: I am a little not clear on the direction of forces at the point where the meter stick touch the wall. I believe Nenad is correct. Frictional force F is along the wall upward direction and the Normal Force N is along the rod to the right.

you have the right idea, but its a little tougher than that to prove it. There is probably a step where you have to use the fact that [tex] \frac{sin \theta}{cos \theta} = tan \theta [/tex].

This is the answer during my lunch break was complicated, it is correct but I don't believe it is the simplest answer; for it uses a lot of variables. There has to ba a way to simplify:

[tex] \theta = cos^{-1} (\frac{g(1-x)(m_{Box} + m_{Rod})}{\mu T}) [/tex]

I'm going to keep working on it, the rest of the question is similar, the answers wil be in equation form. Ill keep working on it.

Regards,

Nenad

1. What is the "Equilibrium meter stick problem"?

The equilibrium meter stick problem is a physics problem that involves finding the point of balance on a meter stick when different masses are placed on either side of the fulcrum.

2. How do you solve the equilibrium meter stick problem?

The equilibrium meter stick problem can be solved by using the principle of moments, which states that the sum of clockwise moments is equal to the sum of counterclockwise moments when an object is in equilibrium. This can be represented mathematically as ΣMclockwise = ΣMcounterclockwise.

3. What are the key factors that affect the equilibrium meter stick problem?

The key factors that affect the equilibrium meter stick problem are the masses of the objects placed on the meter stick, the distances of those objects from the fulcrum, and the location of the fulcrum itself.

4. How does changing the fulcrum position affect the equilibrium meter stick problem?

Changing the fulcrum position affects the equilibrium meter stick problem by changing the distances of the masses from the fulcrum, thereby changing the moment arms and the overall balance of the meter stick. The closer the fulcrum is to a heavier mass, the more weight it will support and the further it will be from the lighter mass, resulting in an unbalanced system.

5. Can the equilibrium meter stick problem be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the equilibrium meter stick problem can be applied to real-life situations, such as balancing a seesaw, a scale, or a teeter-totter. It is also used in engineering and construction to determine the balance and stability of structures.