Equilibrium of a particle - hibbeler , help please

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitudes of F1 and F2 for a particle to be in equilibrium. Using the equations ΣFx = F1 cos θ1 + F2 cos θ2 - F = 0 and ΣFy = F1 sin θ1 - F2 sin θ2 = 0, with given values of F1 = 500N, θ1 = 45deg, and θ2 = 30deg, we can solve for F1 and F2. The correct answers are F1 = 259N and F2 = 366N.
dumbengineer
[SOLVED] Equilibrium of a particle - hibbeler , help please

Hi all
I was surfing the net looking for a physics / mechanic forum and thank god i found this.
I have problem with solving Equilibrium problems, hopefully you guys and girls would help me out.

1) Question. ( this is problem 3-1 , in engineering mechanic statics , 11th edition hibbeler)

- Determine the magnitudes of F1 and F2 so that the particle is in equilibrium
Given : F1 = 500N , θ1 = 45deg and θ2 = 30 deg

2) this is how far i went.

ΣFx = F1 cos θ1 + F2 cos θ2 - F = 0

ΣFy = F1 sin θ1 -F2 sin θ2 = 0
-
ΣFx = F1 cos 45 + F2 cos 30 - 500 = 0

ΣFy = F1 sin 45 -F2 sin 30 = 0 -> f1sin 45 = f2sin 30

so , f1 cos 45 + f1sin 45 - 500 = 0
f1 cos 45 + f1 sin 45 = 500
f1 1.41 = 500
500 / 1.41 = 354.60

well that answer is wrong , i know that f1 = 259 and f2 = 366 those are the correct answers

any help guys
thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to be a bit more specific in the problem statement... are there 3 forces F1, f1, and f2? Direction of F1?? theta reference axis?? etc.

This so
f1 cos 45 + f1sin 45 - 500 = 0
is not consistent with
ΣFx = F1 cos θ1 + F2 cos θ2 - F = 0

Taking ΣFx = F1 cos θ1 + F2 cos θ2 - F = 0, and θ1 = 45° and θ2 = 30°, then

F1 cos (45°) + F2 cos (30°) = 0.7071 F1 + 0.866 F2 = 500 N.

The other equation is F1 sin 45° -F2 sin 30° = 0 = 0.7071 F1 - 0.5 F2 = 0.

Subtract the first equation from the second and one obtains

1.366 F2 = 500 N

Solve for F2 and substitute that value into either equation and solve for F1.

Thank you very much for your help.

1. What is the definition of equilibrium of a particle?

The equilibrium of a particle refers to the state at which the particle is at rest or is moving with a constant velocity in a straight line, with no external forces acting on it.

2. What are the conditions for a particle to be in equilibrium?

For a particle to be in equilibrium, two conditions must be met: the net force acting on the particle must be zero, and the net torque (or moment) acting on the particle must also be zero. This means that the particle is either at rest or moving with a constant velocity in a straight line.

3. What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

In static equilibrium, the particle is at rest and there is no movement. In dynamic equilibrium, the particle is moving with a constant velocity in a straight line, but there is no acceleration. Both types of equilibrium have the same conditions: zero net force and zero net torque.

4. How do you calculate the forces and torques in equilibrium problems?

To calculate the forces and torques in equilibrium problems, you can use the equations of motion and the free body diagram of the particle. The equations of motion include Newton's second law (F=ma) and the equations for torque (T=Iα), where F is the net force, m is the mass of the particle, a is the acceleration, T is the net torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration.

5. Can a particle be in equilibrium if it is in motion?

Yes, a particle can be in equilibrium even if it is in motion, as long as the velocity is constant and there are no external forces or torques acting on it. This is known as dynamic equilibrium, which is different from static equilibrium where the particle is at rest.