Solve Equilibrium Problem: Find Equilibriant Force

• Thread starter Hollysmoke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, the conversation is about finding the equilibriant force and forces from the left side on a diagram. The solution involves solving for Fx and Fy and using trigonometry to find the values and direction of the equilibriant force. Some confusion arises about the values and directions of the forces, but it is eventually resolved and the final answer is determined to be 155.55N at 49.35 degrees to the horizontal.
Hollysmoke
As you can see in the attachmen, I'm supposed to find the equilibriant force and the force from the left side.

So is it something like this:

Fx = 0,

Fh + 200cos20-100cos30=0
Fh = -101.33N

Fy = 0
Fv + 200sin20 + 100sin30 = 0
Fv = -118N

But I get stuck on the rest. Can someone help me out please?

Attachments

• resolveso9.jpg
    resolveso9.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 381
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a bit confused here... exactly what are you trying to solve for?

Actually, I think I figured it out but are the vertical and horizontal forces correct? Or do the Fh and Fv should cancel out

I'm supposed to find the equilibriant force on the diagram I posted (see attachments)

the force that give you equilibrium is 155.55N and its direction is 49.35 degress to the horizontal

uhmm...thanks for telling me the answer, but it's useless if I don't know how to get the answer =(

-101.33 + (theforce)cosA = 0
-188 + (theforce)sinA = 0

tanA = -188 / -101.33

therefore A = 49.35 degrees to the horizontal

Last edited:
if you need further explanation let me know

Wait how did you get -188 for the vertical?

nvm I think you meant 118. if you divided 188, you get 61 degrees.

well

-188 +FsinA = 0
is the same as writing
-188 +Fcos(90-A) = 0

since its sin it means it is the verticle

but this does not mean that Fy will always be the verticle if you in a situation where Fx has to be sin0 then fx will be the verticle and it would be 101.33/118
instead of the other way around

if your still not 100% percent clear i ll draw a picture for you, its quite hard to explain without pictures

Hollysmoke said:
nvm I think you meant 118. if you divided 188, you get 61 degrees.

yes i meant 118
sorry about that

What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state in which all the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no overall motion or acceleration.

How do you find the equilibriant force?

The equilibriant force is found by taking the negative of the resultant force. This means that the magnitude of the equilibriant force is equal to the magnitude of the resultant force, but the direction is opposite.

What is the difference between equilibrium and stability?

Equilibrium refers to the balance of forces on an object, while stability refers to how resistant an object is to being disturbed from its equilibrium state. An object can be in equilibrium but not stable if it is easily tipped over, while an object can be both in equilibrium and stable if it is able to maintain its balanced state.

How do you know when an object is in equilibrium?

An object is in equilibrium if the sum of all the forces acting on it is equal to zero. This means that the forces are balanced and there is no overall motion or acceleration.

Can an object be in equilibrium if it is moving?

Yes, an object can be in equilibrium while it is moving at a constant velocity. This occurs when the forces acting on the object are balanced, resulting in no net force and no change in motion.