Equillibrium: torque and net force

In summary, the problem involves finding the net torque and net force for a ladder with a person on it, with the given equations of net torque and net force equaling zero. The solution involves finding the force of the ladder and the horizontal forces, and using the moment arm to calculate the net torque. The length and vertical height of the ladder are provided indirectly through the given image.
henry3369

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/rWsNsmp

Homework Equations

net torque = 0
net force = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Finding f1 was easy.
f1 = wladder + person = 885.92 N
Then the horizontal forces are also equal:
f2 = f3

Now net torque = 0 (I'm using moment arm because there is no angle given):
f3(3.8) = wladder(moment arm) + wperson(0.70)

I can't manage to figure out the moment arm. I'm not sure if 0.7 meters can be used because I think that is the moment arm for the force of the person only. No angles were given, all I know is that the distance from the bottom of the ladder to the center of mass of the ladder is 2 meters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
henry3369 said:
No angles were given
Oh, yes, they were (but indirectly). Length of ladder = 4m, vertical height of ladder = 3.8m.

Svein said:
Oh, yes, they were (but indirectly). Length of ladder = 4m, vertical height of ladder = 3.8m.
Didn't think about it that way. Thanks!

1. What is equilibrium in terms of torque and net force?

Equilibrium in terms of torque and net force refers to a state in which an object is not accelerating and is in a state of balance or stability. This means that the sum of all forces acting on the object is equal to zero, and the sum of all torques acting on the object is also equal to zero.

2. How are torque and net force related in equilibrium?

In equilibrium, the net torque acting on an object must be equal to zero. This means that the clockwise and counterclockwise torques must cancel each other out, resulting in a net torque of zero. Similarly, the net force acting on an object in equilibrium must also be equal to zero.

3. What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

In static equilibrium, an object is not moving or rotating, and the net force and net torque acting on the object are both equal to zero. In dynamic equilibrium, an object is moving at a constant velocity, and the net force and net torque are still equal to zero due to balanced forces and torques acting on the object.

4. How can I calculate equilibrium of a system?

To calculate equilibrium, you will need to consider all the forces and torques acting on the system. First, draw a free-body diagram to identify all the forces and their directions. Then, use the equations for net force and net torque to determine if the system is in equilibrium.

5. What are some real-life examples of equilibrium in terms of torque and net force?

Some examples of equilibrium in terms of torque and net force include a book sitting on a table, a seesaw with two people of equal weight on either end, and a bicycle wheel spinning at a constant speed. In all of these examples, the forces and torques acting on the objects are balanced, resulting in a state of equilibrium.