Equipotential line and electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the electric field strength vector at a given point on an equipotential line in an electric field. It is established that the vector should be perpendicular to the line, and multiple options are given to check this condition. The correct answer is determined to be d), with a slope of -1/2 and a point of (1,2) on the line.
Saitama

Homework Statement

The equation of an equipotential line in an electric field is y=2x, then the electric field strength vector at (1,2) may be
a)4i+3j
b)4i+8j
c)8i+4j
d)-8i+4j

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since its an equipotential line, the electric field vector should perpendicular to this line. Therefore, the slope of line perpendicular to y=2x is -1/2. The equation should be y=[itex]\frac{-1}{2}[/itex]x+k, where k is any constant. Now i am stuck, can somebody help me proceed in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot find the exact vector, as there can be many answers satisfying the given condition. But, you sure can check the options to see which of them would give you a vector perpendicular to y=2x :wink:

I believe the options were specifically made that way so that you can get the answer.

Infinitum said:
You cannot find the exact vector, as there can be many answers satisfying the given condition. But, you sure can check the options to see which of them would give you a vector perpendicular to y=2x :wink:

I believe the options were specifically made that way so that you can get the answer.

Yes, many answers are possible.
How can i check that the vector is perpendicular to line y=2x?

Pranav-Arora said:
Yes, many answers are possible.
How can i check that the vector is perpendicular to line y=2x?

Check the slopes of the vectors!

Infinitum said:
Check the slopes of the vectors!

Lol, then the answer is d), its slope is -1/2.
But then what's the use of (1,2)?

EDIT: Got it why the points are given. :)

Last edited:
Pranav-Arora said:
Lol, then the answer is d), its slope is -1/2.
But then what's the use of (1,2)?

EDIT: Got it why the points are given. :)

Good going! :approve:

1. What is an equipotential line?

An equipotential line is a line on a graph or diagram that connects points with the same potential, meaning they have the same electric potential energy per unit charge.

2. How is an equipotential line related to electric field?

An equipotential line and electric field are perpendicular to each other. This means that the equipotential lines are always at right angles to the electric field lines. Any movement along an equipotential line will result in no change in electric potential energy.

3. What is the significance of equipotential lines in an electric field?

Equipotential lines are important in understanding the behavior of electric fields. They show us how the electric potential energy varies throughout a given space. Additionally, they can help us determine the direction and strength of the electric field.

4. How are equipotential lines represented in a diagram?

Equipotential lines are typically shown as dashed or solid lines on a graph or diagram, and are labeled with the corresponding potential values. They are often drawn parallel to each other and perpendicular to the electric field lines.

5. How do equipotential lines affect the motion of charged particles?

Charged particles will always move perpendicular to the equipotential lines in an electric field. This means that they will move from areas of high potential to areas of low potential, as they seek to minimize their potential energy. Additionally, charged particles will not experience a change in kinetic energy when moving along an equipotential line.