Equivalence Principle: A hint on how to start

In summary, we are trying to prove that for a non-empty set with an equivalence relation ~, the equivalence class of x is equal to the equivalence class of y if and only if x~y. This can be shown by first proving that if x~y, then [x]=[y], and then proving that if [x]=[y], then x~y by contradiction. This is done by showing that for any element z in [x], there exists an element z in [y] such that z~y, and vice versa. This proves the equivalence of the two classes and establishes the Equivalence Principle.
dpa
Equivalence Principle: A hint on how to start!

Hi, I have no idea where to start.

1. Statement Problem
Let X be a non empty set with a equivalence relation ~ on it. Prove that for all x,y[itex]\in[/itex]X,
[x]=[y] if and only if x~y.

Homework Equations

For the Equivalence Relation to exist, it must be transitive, reflexive and symmetric.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start. May be,
~ exists means that, x=y. But is self evident.
How do I prove the "only If" part as well?

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org

What do the square brackets mean in [x] = [y]?

Hi voko,

I did not understand that either. That is the exact statement in the Homework question. I assumed it simply meant x=y.
Can you help me if it is x=y?

Thank You.

This cannot be proven for simple equality, because I can easily give you a counter-example.

Can the square brackets mean the "equivalence class" of x?

Yes, that is it. Still, I have no idea how to prove equivalent classes as equal.

I will try it now.
Thank You.
dpa

Start by proving the "if" part. Use the definition of the equivalence class and the properties of equivalence.

Here is my solution,

From the definition of equivalence class, we suppose any z such that,
[x]={z[itex]\in[/itex]Xlx~z} holds. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -(i)

for every such z,
since,
x~y and x~z=z~x [property of symmetry]
we write from law of transitivity,
z~y exists.
Thus,
we can now define,
[y]={z[itex]\in[/itex]Xly~z}, which is true.
can also be written as
[y]={z[itex]\in[/itex]Xlx~z} - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -(ii)
Thus from i and ii, we can write that
[x]=[y]

Now we show that it holds true only when x~y by method of contradiction (how?).
Suppose there exists w such that x~w, but x~y is false,
but what next?

Do I say since x~y does not exist,
we cannot write,
[y]={z[itex]\in[/itex]Xly~z} exists for every
[x]={z[itex]\in[/itex]Xlx~z}
??
Any more hints?

I got it. I have to prove if a=>b and then if b=>a.
Is first part correct then?

The first part seems OK. The second part, prove by contradiction. Suppose there are x and y such that [x] = [y], but x not ~y.

is it better now?

To Prove [x]=[y] iff x~y
Here, First we take x~y and prove [x]=[y]. Then we take x is not ~y but [x]=[y] and arrive at x~y.

Firstly,
For any element zEX and zE[x] we know there exists a relation z~x
Sincem z~x and x~y, we can write from law of transitivity,
z~y which implies zE[y].

Thus we can write from zE[x] and zE[y] that [x]=[y].

Next, we assume x is not ~y but [x]=[y] exists.
Here, [x]=[y] implies there exists an element z where zE[x] and z~x.
There also exists zE[y] for which z~y exists.
Thus from law of transitivity, and from z~y and z~x, we can write,
x~y.

Thus Prooved.

In the second part of the proof, instead of saying "there also exists zE[y]" you should say "because [x] = [y], zE[y]".

Otherwise the proof is good.

Someone said zE[x] and zE[y] cannot imply [x]=[y]. It is indeed true if equivalent relation does not exist.
What happens when the equivalence relation x~y does exist as in above example. So, is the first part of proof correct in the light of this comment?
I am totally new and just had one/two class on this topic.
Thank You.

The first part of the proof is correct. You take ANY element from [x] and show that it also exists in [y]. You could equally take ANY element for [y] and likewise show it is in [x]. So each contains all the elements of the other.

1. What is the Equivalence Principle?

The Equivalence Principle is a fundamental concept in physics that states that the effects of gravity cannot be distinguished from those of acceleration. This means that an object in a gravitational field will experience the same effects as an object in an accelerating frame of reference.

2. Who first proposed the Equivalence Principle?

The Equivalence Principle was first proposed by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity in 1915. It was later refined and expanded upon by other physicists, such as Galileo Galilei and Isaac Newton.

3. What are the implications of the Equivalence Principle?

The Equivalence Principle has several important implications in physics. It allows us to understand the effects of gravity on objects and to make predictions about how objects will behave in different gravitational fields. It also forms the basis of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which has been crucial in our understanding of the universe.

4. How is the Equivalence Principle tested?

The Equivalence Principle has been tested in various ways, including experiments involving free-falling objects, measurements of the acceleration of objects in different gravitational fields, and observations of the bending of light in the presence of massive objects. These experiments have consistently confirmed the validity of the Equivalence Principle.

5. What are the practical applications of the Equivalence Principle?

The Equivalence Principle has several practical applications, including its use in GPS technology, which relies on precise measurements of time and gravity to determine location. It also plays a crucial role in space travel, as it helps us understand and predict the effects of gravity on spacecraft and astronauts.