Equivalent circuit for a battery.

In summary, an engineer is attempting to model a lithium battery using a Thevenin equivalent circuit. By connecting a voltmeter across the battery, she obtains a reading of 3.7V. When a 0.5 Ohm resistor is connected across the terminals, the reading drops to 3.2V. The circuit parameters of the equivalent circuit are the Thevenin voltage and Thevenin resistance, which can be derived using the given information. The internal resistance of the battery is also a component of the equivalent circuit and can be calculated using the voltage readings and Ohm's Law. After 2 hours of work, the problem was successfully solved.
Yam

Homework Statement

An engineer is trying to model a lithium battery with a thevenin equivalent circuit. She first connects a voltmeter across the battery and gets a reading of 3.7V. She then connects 0.5 Ohms resistor across the battery terminals. The reading now drops to 3.2V. Draw the equivalent circuit for the battery and work out the circuit parameters.

Homework Equations

I understand how to derive the equivalent circuit but i do not understand what circuit parameters represent

The Attempt at a Solution

VOC=3.7V
R=? I do not know how to derive the internal resistance of the battery also

Now, i don't understand what the circuit parameters mean. What are they asking for?[/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yam said:

Homework Statement

An engineer is trying to model a lithium battery with a thevenin equivalent circuit. She first connects a voltmeter across the battery and gets a reading of 3.7V. She then connects 0.5 Ohms resistor across the battery terminals. The reading now drops to 3.2V. Draw the equivalent circuit for the battery and work out the circuit parameters.

Homework Equations

I understand how to derive the equivalent circuit but i do not understand what circuit parameters represent

The Attempt at a Solution

VOC=3.7V
R=? I do not know how to derive this also
o_OIn Relevant equations above you stated that you knew how to derive the equivalent circuit.
Now, i don't understand what the circuit parameters mean. What are they asking for?
In this case they are looking for the component values for the Thevenin equivalent circuit (Thevenin voltage and Thevenin resistance).

Show us what you know!

Post the equivalent circuit of the battery and 0.5 Ohm load resistor.

Haha! Yes! i solved it after 2 hours haha! thanks guys

What did you get for the internal resistance?

1. What is an equivalent circuit for a battery?

The equivalent circuit for a battery is a simplified electrical circuit that represents the behavior of a battery. It consists of a voltage source, internal resistance, and an ideal battery. This circuit allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of a battery in a circuit without having to consider the complex internal structure of the battery.

2. Why is it important to use an equivalent circuit for a battery?

Equivalent circuits for batteries are important because they allow us to make accurate predictions and calculations about the behavior of a battery in a circuit. It simplifies the analysis process and makes it easier to understand the effects of a battery on a circuit.

3. How is an equivalent circuit for a battery created?

An equivalent circuit for a battery is created by observing the behavior of the battery in a circuit and determining the necessary components to represent that behavior. The most common components used in an equivalent circuit for a battery are a voltage source and an internal resistance.

4. Can an equivalent circuit for a battery accurately represent all types of batteries?

No, an equivalent circuit for a battery may not accurately represent all types of batteries. Each type of battery has different internal structures and behaviors, so the equivalent circuit may need to be modified to accurately represent a specific type of battery.

5. How does the internal resistance affect the behavior of a battery in an equivalent circuit?

The internal resistance in an equivalent circuit for a battery represents the resistance within the battery itself. This resistance can cause a drop in voltage and affect the overall performance of the battery in a circuit. It is an important component to consider when analyzing the behavior of a battery in a circuit.