Error Propagation: x/(y-z) Uncertainty

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the quantity q= x/(y-z) with its uncertainty, where x, y, and z are measured values with uncertainties. The method of step-by-step propagation is suggested, involving finding the derivatives of the function with respect to each variable, and adding the uncertainties squared before taking the square root. The conversation ends with the question of how to propagate error in subtraction.
newbe318

Homework Statement

Suppose you measure three numbers as follows:

Homework Equations

x= 200. +-2.
y= 50. +-2.
z= 40. +-2.

where the three uncertainties are independent and random. Use step-by-step propagation to find the quantity
q= x/(y-z) with its uncertainty.

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know what to do. The only thing I am thinking of doing is taking the derivatives of the func., q= x/(y-z), with respect to x, y, and z, ... and ... that's it. I'm stuck. Help, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
newbe318 said:

Homework Statement

Suppose you measure three numbers as follows:

Homework Equations

x= 200. +-2.
y= 50. +-2.
z= 40. +-2.

where the three uncertainties are independent and random. Use step-by-step propagation to find the quantity
q= x/(y-z) with its uncertainty.

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know what to do. The only thing I am thinking of doing is taking the derivatives of the func., q= x/(y-z), with respect to x, y, and z, ... and ... that's it. I'm stuck. Help, please?

How is error propagated in the (y-z) part? That will produce some new uncertainty a, which you then propagate for x/a. How far have you actually gotten?

I didn't get very far.
I skipped that problem and continued with my other homework problems.

newbe318 said:
I didn't get very far.
I skipped that problem and continued with my other homework problems.

Do you know how error is propagated in subtraction?

You add them?

newbe318 said:
You add them?

You add the sum of the uncertainties squared, then take the square root. Is it apparent why?

So what's the uncertainty of a?

1. What is error propagation?

Error propagation is a method for estimating the uncertainty or error in a calculated quantity that is derived from several measured values.

2. How does error propagation work?

Error propagation uses mathematical formulas to combine the uncertainties of the measured values and calculate the uncertainty of the final calculated quantity.

3. What is the formula for error propagation?

The formula for error propagation depends on the specific equation being used. However, a general formula for error propagation can be written as δf = √( ∂f/∂x * δx )^2 + ( ∂f/∂y * δy )^2 + ( ∂f/∂z * δz )^2, where f is the calculated quantity, x, y, and z are the measured values, and δx, δy, and δz are their respective uncertainties.

4. How can error propagation be applied to the equation x/(y-z)?

To apply error propagation to this equation, you would first calculate the uncertainty for each measured value (x, y, and z) using the appropriate formula. Then, plug those uncertainties into the general error propagation formula to calculate the overall uncertainty for the final calculated quantity.

5. What are some limitations of error propagation?

One limitation of error propagation is that it assumes the uncertainties of the measured values are independent and random. It also does not take into account any correlations between the measured values. Additionally, error propagation is only an estimate of the uncertainty and may not accurately reflect the true uncertainty of the final calculated quantity.