Projectile Motion: Escape Velocity and Altitude at 55%

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the altitude of a projectile when its speed is at 96% of the escape speed, as well as the formula for the final velocity of a projectile launched from the surface of the Moon. The calculation involves using the relationship between kinetic and potential energy, as well as the formula for escape speed. The final result is that the altitude can be calculated as R divided by the square of the velocity ratio (k^2).
SoccaCrazy24
Question 1: If a projectile is launched from Earth with a speed equal to the escape speed, how high above the Earth's surface is it when its speed is 96% of the escape speed?
On this question i understand i am not finding how high it would go if it were launched at 96% of the escape velocity, but rather that when it gets to 96% of the escape speed. I am unsure of how I am to find this... and I would like to atleast get a concept for this one... which will help me with question 2 as well. I believe it will deal with energy conservation, but i cannot think of a way that i can involve velocity with this. Can I get atleast an intuitive way to help lead me to get somewhere with this? :confused: If I can get this question I can surely get question 2.
Question 2: A projectile is launched vertically from the surface of the Moon with an initial speed of 2300 m/s. At what altitude is the projectile's speed 55% of its initial value?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravity will act on the projectile. So what is the formula for its final velocity in terms of t, its initial velocity and the acceleration?

if a projectile is launched from Earth at escape speed, then its total energy is equal to 0 ...

K + U = 0

from this relationship, escape speed is calculated as v = sqrt(2GM/R)
where G = grav. constant, M = Earth mass, and R = Earth radius.

I'm assuming that you already know all the above, but the point is this ...
during its entire trip, total energy remains a constant equal to zero.

let v = escape velocity, k = .96, and r = variable distance from Earth's center

(1/2)m(kv)^2 - GMm/r = 0

since escape velocity v = sqrt(2GM/R)

(1/2)m*k^2*2GM/R - GMm/r = 0

solving the above equation for r yields ...

r = R/k^2

where r = distance from the Earth's center when it is at 96% of escape speed

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air with only the force of gravity acting on it. It follows a parabolic path.

2. What is escape velocity?

Escape velocity is the minimum speed needed for an object to overcome the gravitational pull of a larger body, such as a planet or moon, and escape its orbit.

3. How is escape velocity calculated?

Escape velocity can be calculated using the formula v = √(2GM/r), where v is the escape velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger body, and r is the distance from the center of the larger body to the object.

4. What is the significance of 55% in the context of escape velocity?

In the context of escape velocity, 55% refers to the velocity needed for an object to escape a planet's gravitational pull at 55% of its radius. This is known as the circular orbit velocity.

5. How is altitude related to escape velocity?

As altitude increases, the escape velocity decreases. This is because the gravitational pull of a larger body weakens with distance, making it easier for an object to escape its orbit at higher altitudes.