Ethical Dilemna - Finding Money In Random Places

In summary: I don't know. But I would definitely turn it in if I found it on the ground.In summary, if you find a ten dollar bill on the ground, it is not illegal to keep it.

At what dollar amount would you have initiated an investigation?

• Total voters
GCT
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I just found a ten dollar bill while taking a walk through my suburbia , it's seemed pretty obvious to me that there was no dilemna to be acknolwedged here and that it was perfectly fine to keep the money - am I going to ring the doorbell on every house and ask " is this your 10 bucks " - the answer to that is no.

So here is the question - at what dollar amount would you have sensed the obligation to initiate an investigation before you kept it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it in a money bag like a business uses and might have been a theft or a paper bag?

If it's in a plain paper bag, it's mine.

I found five pounds on the floor of the local shop yesterday. I gave it to the woman on the checkout in case somebody came back for it. I've also given as little as a pound back when I got too much change before. Of course it depends on the situation but in most cases I'd at least try something to find the person who lost it.

Recently, there was one similar thread (not the same subject) - about one old lady finding 10K.

It depends on where you found them
- a place where all people are rich (1000 would be mine answer in that case)
- a place where people cannot afford to lose 10 (10$ in that case)
- bad neighborhood (best not to touch the money) (I would never investigate)

I found 3 dollars in the change dispenser at an automated check out. I gave it to the clerk overseeing the check out stands, just in case the person realized they forgot their change, that was an undertandible mistake and i wouldn't feel right taking it.

But a paper bag lying in the road with hundreds of thousands of dollars = my lucky day. That's really dumb. I would donate part of it to the local animal shelters though.

GCT, you forgot an option for "none of the above".

Last edited:
Unless the quantity is huge, it depends on the container. If you literally find a big pile of cash in the street, it may actually be illegal to take it if it fell out of an armored car, even if it isn't in a bag.

Who carries more than 1000 cash either in plain or marked paper bag?
I think most people use credit cards. I don't own one but I do shopping with my university card + debit card. I never have cash of more than 200.

I don't think I would go door-to-door finding the rightful owner of ten dollars, but I couldn't keep it either. At my grocery store there's a food bank collection box - I'd put it in an envelope and put it in the box. Especially now, they need it more than I do.

A hundred dollars? Yeah, I'd probably knock on a few doors, at least.

lisab said:
A hundred dollars? Yeah, I'd probably knock on a few doors, at least.
I would just assume that some dishonest person would say that it's theirs. I guess I don't have much faith in people in general. :frown:

russ_watters said:
The officials say they will prosecute any thieving motorist they can find.http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...7A15752C1A961948260&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

Good luck with that. Money blowing in the wind?

What crime is that again?

My guess is they didn't prosecute a single person. It sounds like a scare tactic to hopefully jog some consciences and encourage whatever recovery they could. Whoever spilled it was on the hook.

If it was a really lot of money, I'd turn it in immediately and then reread Steinbeck's The Pearl, before I started second-guessing myself.

Back when I was in high school I found a $10 bill on the floor and turned it into the Dean.

LowlyPion said:

Wikipedia has something, but the references seem to be broken. :frown:

Hurkyl said:
Wikipedia has something, but the references seem to be broken. :frown:

If a law can't be enforced, it has no practical effect.

The idea that there would be prosecution is pretty absurd under the circumstances of the situation, and it was clearly a hollow threat. Personally I'd be tempted not to turn it in if that was their attitude.

LowlyPion said:

Taking something that isn't yours would be called "theft"...
My guess is they didn't prosecute a single person. It sounds like a scare tactic to hopefully jog some consciences and encourage whatever recovery they could. Whoever spilled it was on the hook.
Definitely not a scare tactic, but it may have been hard to identify anyone. I'll see if i can find links about people prosecuted for this...

russ_watters said:
Taking something that isn't yours would be called "theft"... Definitely not a scare tactic, but it may have been hard to identify anyone. I'll see if i can find links about people prosecuted for this...

Under the law it maybe called theft. But I'd say it is highly improbable, if you didn't incriminate yourself by say bragging you found $350 and had a great night at the bar, telling anyone and everyone, that anything could be proved.

So they have your picture? They have you picking up something? Cash is highly fungible and proving it as theirs and how much it was absent recovery in your possession and your refusal to cooperate, I'd say there's virtually no case.

LowlyPion said:
Under the law it maybe called theft. But I'd say it is highly improbable, if you didn't incriminate yourself by say bragging you found $350 and had a great night at the bar, telling anyone and everyone, that anything could be proved.

So they have your picture? They have you picking up something? Cash is highly fungible and proving it as theirs and how much it was absent recovery in your possession and your refusal to cooperate, I'd say there's virtually no case.

since all money is uniquely identifiable, it is a reasonable request to ask that they provide serial numbers.

LowlyPion said:
Under the law it maybe called theft. ... I'd say there's virtually no case.
You asked what crime was committed. You got an answer. Talk about whether or not there is a case is irrelevant to whether or not it's a crime. :tongue:

Angling back to the original topic you seem to be pushing for the "it's okay to commit a crime if you don't get caught" school of ethics... is that intentional?

Taking something that isn't yours would be called "theft"...
I believe this reminds me of admiralty law. The captain's word is law. When he goes out in the ocean on his boat, he has a 40 foot floating country. It's his country and he is a dictator. He can throw you in the brig for anything he wants. If I'm floating out there in the ocean on my boat and I find another boat and there's nobody on it, who owns it? Me, now, I'm the captain! It's called salvage rights. I found it, no body else claimed it, end of story, and it's not theft.

Everybody has a right to due process under common law, but this definitely isn't common law since the ownership of what property is not clearly defined.

If the bills were sequential, or the serial numbers recorded, then it's possible that they could catch someone using them. If they're non-sequential and the numbers unrecorded, it would be virtually impossible to trace them.

Mk said:
I believe this reminds me of admiralty law. The captain's word is law. When he goes out in the ocean on his boat, he has a 40 foot floating country. It's his country and he is a dictator. He can throw you in the brig for anything he wants. If I'm floating out there in the ocean on my boat and I find another boat and there's nobody on it, who owns it? Me, now, I'm the captain! It's called salvage rights. I found it, no body else claimed it, end of story, and it's not theft.

Everybody has a right to due process under common law, but this definitely isn't common law since the ownership of what property is not clearly defined.
but say the captain of that ship and all his crew had been blown off the ship by a wave just as u were passing and were swimming back to get on to the boat... and you just hop on their ship cause no ones on it and take off with it. I'm sure that's called theft.

btw i'd still keep the money... not saying its right but does it really matter? the person that lost it should take better care of their money i would expect the same if i had lost money of my own. I'm not going to be mad at anyone except for myself. a wallet or something on the other hand... if it had like ID or important information etc. then i would definitely give that back cause those dumb documents take FOREVER to get all back lol

Mk said:

That's a clearly defined case: the true owner of the ship can still rightfully claim it - that's in the link that Hurkyl posted.

That applies to the money (and anything else) too. The problem in the case of the money is whether or not the true owner can actually identify it. Note: that's a different question than whether it is illegal to take it.

As I see it, property can be juridically lost, in that priorly owned objects become ownerless objects.

If a person cannot make a probable case for the ownership of some item, then his CLAIM that it is his property is nothing more than that, a claim, to be judged alongside others.

If a finder of some object on basis of the type of object may conclude in good faith that the original possessor (whether owner or not) cannot be found, then "finders keepers" is a valid principle.

If I see an old woman losing a 100$ note out of her pocket, then I am necessarily a thief in keeping it for myself.
If I came half an hour later, and stumbled across that note, I would not necessarily be a thief in keeping it for myself.

Before taking the bag with thousands of dollars, watch the movie "No Country for Old Men". Might make you think twice.

But seriously, a bag with thousands of dollars would probably be drug money. If it is marked, spending it might land you in real trouble.

Since a BAG of money is most likely evidence of some sort of crime, then we have a juridical obligation to inform the police about our find.

I put the last two, but that was assuming I was in a big city, if I were to be in a small town such as my own I'd start at $100.

I'd inform the police, if no one claims it it would be mine.

I've heard several times of people losing a bag of money, it was there complete savings that they were going to put into the bank or use for a purchase. I consider keeping such a bag without telling the authorities a real crime.

I also heard a case that someone found a bag of money, a huge amount, went to the police, no one claimed the money (probably criminal money), and that person got to keep it, now that's a good find.

Evo said:
I found 3 dollars in the change dispenser at an automated check out. I gave it to the clerk overseeing the check out stands, just in case the person realized they forgot their change, that was an undertandible mistake and i wouldn't feel right taking it.

But a paper bag lying in the road with hundreds of thousands of dollars = my lucky day. That's really dumb. I would donate part of it to the local animal shelters though.

GCT, you forgot an option for "none of the above".

You are right , is it possible to add it now?

I found the $ 10 bill on the sidewalk and did not have the ingenuity to plan for a foolproof way to find the owner , anyone is able to claim it as their own ... it's just plain dumb to ask the question from door to door because if you had the moral incentive to find the owner you also have the full obligation to find the rightful owner and this means inevitably doing more research and questioning the validity of anyone who claims the money to be theirs. You just may find that your neighbor is an ***hole.

And thus the question arises , are you creating more trouble by investigating the matter , since you might as well keep it for yourself - regardless of how much is involved - if you do not want to do a full proof investigation. And if you were to give it to the police , how would they really manage it , would they have the capacity to find the rightful owner?

GCT said:
And if you were to give it to the police , how would they really manage it , would they have the capacity to find the rightful owner?
They really do not have to do anything, just wait for someone to show up who can say exactly how much was lost, where and when.

LowlyPion said:
If a law can't be enforced, it has no practical effect. ...
Such laws have a decidedly bad effect: they encourage a disrespect for the rule of law.

In third grade, I found a 2-dollar bill (the bicentennial edition) in the hallway of my school. A friend was with me at the time. I didn't even think about other options; I took it to the main office.

I found out, months later, that the friend I was with claimed it as his own. He was able to describe what he lost and exactly where and when he lost it. As he showed it off to the rest of the class I knew that he knew that I knew what went on, and that I'd never turn him in because he was my "friend."

Boy, did I learn a lesson that day.

And today, for me, the threshold for trying to return found money is somewhere between 10 and 100 dollars, depending on the situation.

GCT said:
You are right , is it possible to add it now?

I found the $ 10 bill on the sidewalk and did not have the ingenuity to plan for a foolproof way to find the owner , anyone is able to claim it as their own ... it's just plain dumb to ask the question from door to door because if you had the moral incentive to find the owner you also have the full obligation to find the rightful owner and this means inevitably doing more research and questioning the validity of anyone who claims the money to be theirs. You just may find that your neighbor is an ***hole.

And thus the question arises , are you creating more trouble by investigating the matter , since you might as well keep it for yourself - regardless of how much is involved - if you do not want to do a full proof investigation. And if you were to give it to the police , how would they really manage it , would they have the capacity to find the rightful owner?
The police would hold on to the money for a while, giving the owner a chance to claim it. And after a period of time has passed, the money would go to you. Depending on the quality of the local police, the finder usually gets it. Sometimes the petty cash of the precinct gets a bump.

Anyone who has said they would hand in 1000's of $ in a marked bag but keep an unmarked to themself is a closet thief.

This is equivalent to saying I would steal money only if I could be sure I won't get caught. At least actual thieves have no pretense about what they are.

Last edited:
neu said:
Anyone who has said they would hand in 1000's of $ in a marked bag but keep an unmarked one are closet thieves.

This is equivalent to saying I would steal money only if I could be sure I won't get caught. At least actual thieves have no pretense about what they are.

Not at all. It has nothing to do with whether or not you could be "caught".