Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ethnic slurs

1. May 5, 2006 #1
    So, I just found out that a nickname I used to refer to my little sister by (and still occasionally do) is an ethnic slur for Hispanic people. I won't say what it is, except that it has to do with beans. In case you're wondering, the name was a corruption of the name of one of the characters from the television show Out of this World. I probably referred to her by that nickname for a good five to six years, and I feel bad that I can no longer say it. :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2006 #2
    What, you mean beaner? Carlos mencia's show makes fun of it all the time (He makes fun of everyone). He calls mexicans beaners and wet backs. :rofl: His show is awesome.

4. May 5, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: gotta love those beaners! as in me i guess.

5. May 5, 2006 #4

dav2008

Gold Member

You think Mencia's show is awesome and Colbert sucks?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

6. May 5, 2006 #5
    Uhhhhhhh, yeah. Colbert sucks.

7. May 5, 2006 #6
    Last edited: May 5, 2006
  8. May 5, 2006 #7

JamesU

Gold Member

Mind of Mencia- sucks
    Steven Colbert- Sucks

9. May 5, 2006 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

yomamma - sucks

10. May 5, 2006 #9
    You're not old enough to get Mencia's jokes yet Yomamma.

11. May 5, 2006 #10

dav2008

Gold Member

Or Colbert's jokes for that matter

12. May 6, 2006 #11

JamesU

Gold Member

I get Mencia's jokes...The show was okay for the first few episodes, and it went WAY downhill from there

13. May 6, 2006 #12
    I'm inclined to agree

14. May 6, 2006 #13

wolram

Gold Member

Why do you yanks like to (suck) on some thing that is nasty :rofl: oh and
    that thing about (turdistan) was just so base, maybe some one should seek
    a job on stage, it would be such a waste deny the public of this talent.:rofl:

15. May 6, 2006 #14
    Stand up comedy in general - sucks.
    Television entertainment - sucks.

16. May 6, 2006 #15

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Well, I can empathize. It's not as bad, but it took me a long time to realize just what my parents and grandparents were calling me all those years when they called me "their little bugger." (Brits help me out here)

17. May 6, 2006 #16

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Disagree here, if 'beaner' is some kind of racist term (even if not very severe) it'd still be on a par with 'jock', 'taffy', 'paddy', and perhaps 'frog'. Haven't ever heard beaner before but I know plenty of people who would be offended (in a racial way) by the use of these four, but nobody who I couldn't call a bugger!

18. May 6, 2006 #17
  19. May 6, 2006 #18

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Back in 1974, some friends and I used the term "beaner" to mean something like "egg-head", i.e. something like a nerd or geek, and actually it really meant "smarta$$."

We used the term "cleat" to refer to "jocks". :biggrin:

Then we used to insult each other with these and other terms. We even used the word "turkey" before it became mainstream in the late 70's and 80's.

20. May 6, 2006 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, I've never heard of "beaner" as a racial slur. I can't say I've ever heard anyone use that word for anything actually. It sounds like a perfectly good name for a little sister though. :tongue: I haven't heard it used as a term for a nerd either...just plain "bean" for that.

Brewnog, you're going to have to translate to American again. Here, "jock" refers to someone who is athletic but not necessarily very smart (usually said as, "dumb jock")...like a guy on the high school football team (that's American football...we all know the soccer players are smarter than them :wink:) flunking out of math class. It's a stereotype, but not at all racial. What does it mean to you in Britain that it would offend someone in a racial way?

I don't know at all what "taffy" or "paddy" means. Taffy is a type of candy, and that's the only meaning I know of it. And, I've only heard of "getting tossed in the paddy wagon," which means getting arrested and carted off to jail. I have no idea of any other use of the word "paddy."

I know "frog" is what you call the French as a slur, but that wouldn't stop someone from calling their little sister a frog to imply she might be green and have a big mouth. :biggrin:

I guess with most of these terms, it's all context dependent. There are a few racial slurs that are words with no other meaning other than as a racial slur. I don't even know where or how most of them originated, but there is no other legitimate use for them, and they are best avoided. But, when a perfectly ordinary word is also used as a racial slur, as long as you are using it in a context other than as a racial slur, I don't see it as a problem. It's still not nice to call your sister names, but if you just made up the word without knowing it had another meaning, then it would be quite a stretch to accuse you of racial insensitivity for it...you're just being a mean older brother. :wink:

21. May 6, 2006 #20

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

"Beaner" is a very commonly used ethnic slur in southern California, although it's not really something anyone takes all that much offense to. It's like calling a German a "kraut." Does anyone honestly care? In both cases, you refer to a group of people by a dominant side dish in their culture. Apparently this term isn't even used anywhere else, since no one has ever heard of it. "Wetback," on the other hand, is much more offensive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?