Triple Integral Evaluation with Spherical Coordinates

In summary, the person is trying to figure out how to evaluate a function that takes three points in a plane and returns the area of a circle with a radius equal to the sum of the two points. They convert to spherical coordinates and get the following:
twoflower
Hi,

I don't know whether this is the best place to ask, anyway, I would like to check my results in Maple and don't know how to evaluate something like this there:

[tex]
\iiint_{M} z^2\ dx\ dy\ dz\mbox{ , where M = [x,y,z] \in \mathbb{R}^3, x^2+y^2+z^2 \leq R^2, x^2 + y^2 + z^2 \leq 2Rz}
[/tex]

There is function Tripleint in Maple but I don't know how to properly pass the bounds..

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
benorin said:
What version of Maple R U using?

It's version 9.5

Me too. Have you tried using the MultiInt function call with spherical coordinates? (trying to figureit out also)

benorin said:
Me too. Have you tried using the MultiInt function call with spherical coordinates? (trying to figureit out also)

I didn't know about this function, thank you.

After converting to spherical coords, I got

[tex]
\iiint r^4\sin^2 \phi \cos \phi\ dr\ d\phi\ d\theta
[/tex]

Anyway, I'm still not sure about the bounds..

the bounds are two spheres, the first is centered at the origin with radius R, the second is [itex]x^2+y^2+(z-R)^2\leq R^2[/itex], which is a sphere of radius R centered at (0,0,R). These spheres overlap and have a curve of intersection which is a circle contained in some plane z=k, for some constant k. But that is not the point; the region is bounded below by the shifted sphere and bounded above by the other sphere.

Last edited:
I get

[tex]\int_{\theta =0}^{2\pi}\int_{\phi =0}^{\pi} \int_{r =2R\cos\phi}^{R} r^4\sin^2 \phi \cos \phi\ dr\ d\phi\ d\theta=\frac{4\pi R^5}{15}[/tex]

Last edited:
benorin said:
I get
[tex]\int_{\theta =0}^{2\pi}\int_{\phi =0}^{\pi} \int_{r =2R\cos\phi}^{R} r^4\sin^2 \phi \cos \phi\ dr\ d\phi\ d\theta=\frac{4\pi R^5}{15}[/tex]

Thank you benorin. First, I didn't know how to write the bounds in spherical coordinates so I tried to compute in cartesian coordinates. But I got a different result. Here's how I approached:

When I draw it, it's clear that for [itex]z \in [0,\frac{R}{2}][/itex] I have

[tex]
A:= {[x,y] \in \mathbb{R}^2, x^2 + y^2 \leq 2Rz - z^2}
[/tex]

which I can imagine as area of circle with radius [itex]\sqrt{2Rz - z^2}[/itex].

For [itex]z \in [\frac{R}{2}, R][/itex] I have

[tex]
B:= {[x,y] \in \mathbb{R}^2, x^2 + y^2 \leq R^2 - z^2}
[/tex]

ie. area of circle with radius [itex]\sqrt{R^2 - z^2}[/itex].

So I can write the original integral as sum of these two:

[tex]
I = \int_0^{\frac{R}{2}}\left(\iint_{A} 1\ dx\ dy \right)\ dz + \int_{\frac{R}{2}}^{R}\left(\iint_{B} 1\ dx\ dy \right)\ dz
[/tex]

[tex]
= \int_{0}^{\frac{R}{2}} z^2\pi(2Rz - z^2)\ dz\ +\ \int_{\frac{R}{2}}^{R} z^2\pi(R^2 - z^2)\ dz = ... = \frac{59}{480} \pi R^5
[/tex]

I think it's ok, isn't it?

Last edited:
Better to use cylindrical coordinates, I think:

[tex]\int_{\theta =0}^{2\pi}\int_{r=0}^{\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}R} \int_{z =R-\sqrt{R^2-r^2}}^{\sqrt{R^2-r^2}} z^2r dz dr d\theta=\frac{59}{480}\pi R^5[/tex]

Yep: same as you. :biggrin:

benorin said:
Better to use cylindrical coordinates, I think:
[tex]\int_{\theta =0}^{2\pi}\int_{r=0}^{\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}R} \int_{z =R-\sqrt{R^2-r^2}}^{\sqrt{R^2-r^2}} z^2r dz dr d\theta=\frac{59}{480}\pi R^5[/tex]
Yep: same as you. :biggrin:

Nice :) Anyway, could you tell me please how did you get the bounds when you were computing it with the spherical coordinates? I mean the inner integral with bounds [itex][2R\cos \phi, R][/itex]...

I did it wrong. But substitute [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2=r^2\mbox{ and }z=r\cos \phi[/tex] into the equations of the spheres.

Related to Triple Integral Evaluation with Spherical Coordinates

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a type of mathematical operation used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional region in space. It involves integrating a function over a three-dimensional domain, which is typically represented by a box or other shape.

2. How is a triple integral evaluated?

A triple integral is evaluated by breaking down the three-dimensional region into smaller, simpler shapes, such as rectangular prisms. The function is then integrated over each of these shapes and the results are added together to find the total volume.

3. What is the purpose of evaluating a triple integral?

The purpose of evaluating a triple integral is to find the volume of a three-dimensional object or region. This is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where calculating volumes is necessary for solving problems or making predictions.

4. What are the limits of integration in a triple integral?

The limits of integration in a triple integral depend on the shape and orientation of the three-dimensional region being integrated. They are typically represented by three variables, one for each dimension, and can be constant values or functions of the other variables.

5. What are some common techniques for evaluating triple integrals?

Some common techniques for evaluating triple integrals include using Cartesian, cylindrical, or spherical coordinates, as well as using symmetry or making appropriate variable substitutions to simplify the integral. Calculus methods such as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and integration by parts can also be applied.