1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating triple integral

1. Jan 12, 2006 #1
    Hi,

I don't know whether this is the best place to ask, anyway, I would like to check my results in Maple and don't know how to evaluate something like this there:

[tex]
    \iiint_{M} z^2\ dx\ dy\ dz\mbox{ , where M = [x,y,z] \in \mathbb{R}^3, x^2+y^2+z^2 \leq R^2, x^2 + y^2 + z^2 \leq 2Rz}
    [/tex]

There is function Tripleint in Maple but I don't know how to properly pass the bounds..

Thank you

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

What version of Maple R U using?

4. Jan 12, 2006 #3
    It's version 9.5

5. Jan 12, 2006 #4

benorin

Homework Helper

Me too. Have you tried using the MultiInt function call with spherical coordinates? (trying to figureit out also)

6. Jan 12, 2006 #5
    I didn't know about this function, thank you.

After converting to spherical coords, I got

[tex]
    \iiint r^4\sin^2 \phi \cos \phi\ dr\ d\phi\ d\theta
    [/tex]

Anyway, I'm still not sure about the bounds..

7. Jan 12, 2006 #6

benorin

Homework Helper

the bounds are two spheres, the first is centered at the origin with radius R, the second is [itex]x^2+y^2+(z-R)^2\leq R^2[/itex], which is a sphere of radius R centered at (0,0,R). These spheres overlap and have a curve of intersection which is a circle contained in some plane z=k, for some constant k. But that is not the point; the region is bounded below by the shifted sphere and bounded above by the other sphere.

8. Jan 12, 2006 #7

benorin

Homework Helper

I get

[tex]\int_{\theta =0}^{2\pi}\int_{\phi =0}^{\pi} \int_{r =2R\cos\phi}^{R} r^4\sin^2 \phi \cos \phi\ dr\ d\phi\ d\theta=\frac{4\pi R^5}{15}[/tex]

9. Jan 12, 2006 #8
    Thank you benorin. First, I didn't know how to write the bounds in spherical coordinates so I tried to compute in cartesian coordinates. But I got a different result. Here's how I approached:

When I draw it, it's clear that for [itex]z \in [0,\frac{R}{2}][/itex] I have

[tex]
    A:= {[x,y] \in \mathbb{R}^2, x^2 + y^2 \leq 2Rz - z^2}
    [/tex]

which I can imagine as area of circle with radius [itex]\sqrt{2Rz - z^2}[/itex].

For [itex]z \in [\frac{R}{2}, R][/itex] I have

[tex]
    B:= {[x,y] \in \mathbb{R}^2, x^2 + y^2 \leq R^2 - z^2}
    [/tex]

ie. area of circle with radius [itex]\sqrt{R^2 - z^2}[/itex].

So I can write the original integral as sum of these two:

[tex]
    I = \int_0^{\frac{R}{2}}\left(\iint_{A} 1\ dx\ dy \right)\ dz + \int_{\frac{R}{2}}^{R}\left(\iint_{B} 1\ dx\ dy \right)\ dz
    [/tex]

[tex]
    = \int_{0}^{\frac{R}{2}} z^2\pi(2Rz - z^2)\ dz\ +\ \int_{\frac{R}{2}}^{R} z^2\pi(R^2 - z^2)\ dz = ... = \frac{59}{480} \pi R^5
    [/tex]

I think it's ok, isn't it?

10. Jan 12, 2006 #9

benorin

Homework Helper

Better to use cylindrical coordinates, I think:

[tex]\int_{\theta =0}^{2\pi}\int_{r=0}^{\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}R} \int_{z =R-\sqrt{R^2-r^2}}^{\sqrt{R^2-r^2}} z^2r dz dr d\theta=\frac{59}{480}\pi R^5[/tex]

Yep: same as you. :biggrin:

11. Jan 12, 2006 #10
    Nice :) Anyway, could you tell me please how did you get the bounds when you were computing it with the spherical coordinates? I mean the inner integral with bounds [itex][2R\cos \phi, R][/itex]...

12. Jan 12, 2006 #11

benorin

Homework Helper

I did it wrong. But substitute [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2=r^2\mbox{ and }z=r\cos \phi[/tex] into the equations of the spheres.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?