Can Slingbox Stream Your Home TV Anywhere in the World?

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
In summary, Slingbox is a device that connects to your TV or tuner box and allows you to stream the video on a network. This means you can watch your home TV from anywhere in the world with the help of software to control the channel. It has two main advantages: 1) you can watch TV on multiple devices without the need for additional cable boxes, and 2) you can also watch TV on your phone. There doesn't seem to be any monthly fees for using Slingbox, and there is a device called Slingcatcher that allows you to drive a TV, but it appears to be discontinued. There is another device called Monsoon Volcano, but it has not been released yet. Slingcatch
russ_watters
Mentor
Ever heard of Slingbox? http://www.slingbox.com/

Basically, you hook it up to your tv/tuner box and it streams the video on a network. With software to control the channel, this means you can watch your home tv from anywhere in the world.

For me, I see two big advantages of this:
1. I'm single and I have only 1 HDTV but I have two computers. So I can carry a laptop into rooms where I don't have a cable box and watch tv from it. No need for another cable box (they are expensive).
2. Watching tv on my phone.

Questions:
1. I'm not seeing anything about a monthly fee - am I correct in assuming there aren't any?
2. I don't see stand-alone devices to drive a tv, which would be nice to have: then I'm basically just multiplexing the tv signal for use in the house. Are there devices which can do such a thing? This would be more valuable than watching tv on my phone or PC.

Computer science news on Phys.org

For #1, I don't think there are any fees involved, but I don't use one myself so I don't know for sure. For #2, it looks like what you want is a Slingcatcher.

Huh - oddly, they don't seem to have that linked from slingbox.com. Looking at retailers, it kinda looks like it might be discontinued.

Looks like you're right. I can't find it anywhere either. I did find references to something called the Monsoon Volcano which was supposed to come out in March, but hasn't, yet. One forum has a guy who posted that he's given up waiting for the Volcano and is now trying to find a Slingcatcher. That sounds like there might not be anything else like this out there.

I am familiar with Slingbox and its capabilities. Slingbox is a device that allows users to stream live television content from their home cable or satellite box to their computer, smartphone, or tablet. This means that users can access their home TV from anywhere in the world, as long as they have an internet connection.

One of the major advantages of Slingbox is that it eliminates the need for multiple cable or satellite boxes in a household. As mentioned, this can save users money on additional equipment and monthly fees. Additionally, the ability to watch TV on multiple devices, such as a laptop or phone, adds convenience and flexibility for users.

In terms of your questions, Slingbox does not have a monthly fee. Users only need to purchase the device and then they can access their home TV content for free. As for stand-alone devices to drive a TV, there are other products on the market that offer similar capabilities, such as Roku or Amazon Fire TV. However, Slingbox's main focus is on streaming live TV from a user's existing cable or satellite box.

Overall, Slingbox offers a convenient and cost-effective way for users to access their home TV content anywhere in the world. Its capabilities can be especially useful for individuals or households with multiple devices and limited access to cable or satellite boxes.

What is Slingbox?

Slingbox is a device that allows you to access your cable or satellite television programming from anywhere in the world through an internet connection.

How does Slingbox work?

Slingbox connects to your cable or satellite box and your home internet network. It then streams the television signal to your device (such as a laptop, tablet, or smartphone) over the internet, allowing you to watch your favorite shows and channels from anywhere.

Do I need a Slingbox to watch TV on my computer?

Yes, in order to watch your home television programming on your computer, you will need to have a Slingbox device set up in your home.

Can I watch live TV with Slingbox?

Yes, Slingbox allows you to watch live TV just as you would at home. You can change channels, pause, rewind, and fast forward, just like you would with a traditional TV.

Is Slingbox available in my country?

Slingbox is available in many countries around the world, including the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, and Australia. You can check the Slingbox website to see if it is available in your specific country.