Solving Evil Torque Problem: Get Help Here!

• Thread starter tonix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, a 200 kg plank attached to a wall with a string breaks and the torque at that point needs to be found. The calculated torque is 3920 Nm, but the book gives a solution of 1960 Nm. After discussing with Daniel, it is determined that the point of application of the gravity force is in the middle of the rod, resulting in a distance of only 1 meter instead of 2 meters, explaining the discrepancy in the calculated torque.
tonix
Hi

I have a problem for which the given solution makes no sense to me.

A 200 kg plank of length 2m is attached by a hinge at one of its ends to a wall. It is held in place horizontally by a string. The string breaks and I am supposed to find the torque at that point. (See attached image).

I have that torque = r x F which gives me a torque vector with a magnitude of 9.8 m/s^2 * 2m * 200kg = 3920 Nm.
The solution the book gives, however, is half of that, ie 1960Nm.

Could somebody either reassure me that the book is wrong or clarify where I made a mistake?

Thank you,
tonix

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
Can u see why your answer is twice more??Is it F,or is it "r"??

Daniel.

Well, I don't know why it is twice more. That is the problem. It seems that r should be 2m for sure. I suppose it could be F since the gravity is only acting on half the mass?

Nope,gravity affects all mass...Think about the point of application of the gravity force and its whereabouts wrt the rotation point of the rod...

Daniel.

ahh... so the overall point of application of the gravity force is in the middle of the rod and therefore r is only 1m instead of 2m?

It's actually in the center of mass,but,assuming the mass is distributed uniformly throughout the rod,it would be exactly at the middle.
Yes,that distance is only of 1 meter.

Daniel.

That's what I meant to say. Thanks!

1. What is the Evil Torque Problem?

The Evil Torque Problem refers to a malfunction or issue with a mechanical device that causes it to produce an excessive amount of torque, potentially leading to damage or failure.

2. How can the Evil Torque Problem be solved?

The solution to the Evil Torque Problem will depend on the specific situation and device. However, some possible solutions include adjusting the torque settings, lubricating or replacing worn parts, or tweaking the design of the device.

3. What are the consequences of the Evil Torque Problem?

The consequences of the Evil Torque Problem can range from minor issues to serious safety hazards. It can lead to damage or failure of the device, potential harm to users or bystanders, and financial losses for the manufacturer or owner.

4. How can I get help with solving the Evil Torque Problem?

If you are experiencing the Evil Torque Problem, it is recommended to consult with a trained professional or an engineer with expertise in the specific type of device. They can provide guidance and assistance in troubleshooting and finding a solution.

5. Can the Evil Torque Problem be prevented?

In many cases, the Evil Torque Problem can be prevented by regular maintenance, proper use and handling of the device, and following manufacturer guidelines. However, some issues may arise due to design flaws or unforeseen circumstances.