Exchange for math and physics undergrad Rice and UC Berkeley advice

In summary, the speaker is a second year physics and math double major who is planning on going to UCB as an exchange student for 2012 fall and 2013 spring. They recently learned about a free slot for 2012 spring at Rice University and are considering extending their exchange to three semesters. They are seeking advice and information about the courses at Rice, as they are interested in taking courses not offered at their current university. Despite concerns about not having a winter break and missing out on a stellar recommendation, the speaker is leaning towards going to Rice University for the exchange.
oyolasigmaz
Hello everyone,

This is my second year as a physics, math double major, and I am an international student (not in the US). For 2012 fall and 2013 spring (or maybe just fall, I don't exactly know the policies, but I know I can do it multiple times), I plan to go to UCB as an exchange student. Yesterday I learned that there is a free slot for 2012 spring in Rice, so I thought, why not go to exchange for three semesters (as these schools are obviously better than my school in many aspects, though I also think my professors here are great, but both math and physics here are small departments).

In this thread I am asking for "why not's, for 2012 spring exchange (or maybe in general). An immediate one is that if I decide to do it in 2012 spring, I won't have a winter break and I will have my finals for 2011 fall in a hurry. I also think that it might be reducing my chances for a stellar recommendation from my university, as I won't be spending much time here (though I might also get to know some other professor in the places I go).

Also, if there is anyone here attending Rice or who knows about math and physics courses at Rice, that would be great if I could ask some questions, because I am somewhat confused about the courses.

By the way, I will be mostly done with my math and physics curricula (undergrad and mandatory ones) by the time I go for exchange (almost completely if I don't do it in 2012 spring).

Thanks for reading this long post, I am in need of help.
oyolasigmaz

Edit: Forgot to say that my main reason for wanting to go to exchange is the fact that I cannot find here every course I want, especially in physics (physics departmnt here is mostly doing photonics research). So it's mainly academical.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
After speaking to professors here, and researching more about Rice, I will very probably go, but if there is anyone here attending Rice, that would be great for me to ask questions about courses.

By the way I still wonder what people think about 3 semesters of exchange but as no one replies, my priority is this.

1. How do I apply for an exchange program at Rice or UC Berkeley for math and physics?

To apply for an exchange program at Rice or UC Berkeley, you will need to check with your current university's study abroad office to see if they have a partnership with either of these universities. If they do, you can then follow their application process for the exchange program. If not, you can contact the international admissions office at Rice or UC Berkeley to inquire about applying as an international exchange student.

2. What are the requirements for an exchange program at Rice or UC Berkeley?

The specific requirements for an exchange program at Rice or UC Berkeley may vary depending on your home university's partnership with these universities. However, in general, you will need to have a strong academic record, proof of English proficiency (if English is not your first language), and a completed application form. Some programs may also have specific course or GPA requirements.

3. Can I receive credit for the courses I take at Rice or UC Berkeley during the exchange program?

Yes, most exchange programs at Rice and UC Berkeley allow for academic credit to be transferred back to your home university. However, it is important to confirm this with your home university's study abroad or academic advisor before applying for the exchange program. They will be able to provide more information on the credit transfer process.

4. Can I receive financial aid for an exchange program at Rice or UC Berkeley?

Financial aid for exchange programs may vary depending on your home university's policies. Some universities may offer financial aid for exchange programs, while others may not. It is best to speak with a financial aid advisor at your home university for more information about funding options for an exchange program.

5. What are the benefits of participating in an exchange program at Rice or UC Berkeley for math and physics?

Participating in an exchange program at Rice or UC Berkeley can provide many benefits, including the opportunity to study at a top university, experience a new academic and cultural environment, improve language skills, and expand your network of international connections. It can also enhance your resume and provide valuable experiences for future academic or career opportunities.