Max Distance Up Ramp for Rotating Sphere

In summary: So you got the right answer for the second part, but you just made a mistake in your calculation for the first part.
physicos
A uniform solid sphere of mass M and radius R is rolling without sliding along a level plane with a speed v = 2.30 m/s when it encounters a ramp that is at an angle θ = 27.6° above the horizontal. Find the maximum distance that the sphere travels up the ramp if :
1-
the ramp is frictionless, so the sphere continues to rotate with its initial angular speed until it reaches its maximum height.
→ I used : Ki+Ui=Kf+Uf
and concluded that Ki=7/10* m*v² =mglsinθ
so l = (7/10 *m*v²)/(mg*sinθ).

is it true ?
2-
the ramp has enough friction to prevent the sphere from sliding so that both the linear and rotational motion stop (instantaneously).
→ I concluded the same as the first case : means l = (7/10 *m*v²)/(mg*sinθ).
is it correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
physicos said:
A uniform solid sphere of mass M and radius R is rolling without sliding along a level plane with a speed v = 2.30 m/s when it encounters a ramp that is at an angle θ = 27.6° above the horizontal. Find the maximum distance that the sphere travels up the ramp if :
1-
the ramp is frictionless, so the sphere continues to rotate with its initial angular speed until it reaches its maximum height.
→ I used : Ki+Ui=Kf+Uf
and concluded that Ki=7/10* m*v² =mglsinθ
so l = (7/10 *m*v²)/(mg*sinθ).

is it true ?
Nope.

2-
the ramp has enough friction to prevent the sphere from sliding so that both the linear and rotational motion stop (instantaneously).
→ I concluded the same as the first case : means l = (7/10 *m*v²)/(mg*sinθ).
is it correct ?
It turns out this one is correct. Obviously the two cases are different, so you need to figure out where you messed up in the first part of the problem.

Where did the 7/10 come from?

Does the sphere have rotational kinetic energy?

The sphere has both rotational and transitional kinetic energy

vela said:
Nope.It turns out this one is correct. Obviously the two cases are different, so you need to figure out where you messed up in the first part of the problem.

FOR THE FIRST CASE :

Kf+Uf=Ki+Ui
so 1/2m*v²f+1/2*I*w²+mg*l*sinθ=1/2*m*v²+1/2*I*w²
so It becomes : mg*l*sinθ=1/2*m*v²so l = v²/2*g*sinθ

Is it correct now ?

That part looks right to me.

1. What is the purpose of calculating the max distance up ramp for a rotating sphere?

The purpose of calculating the max distance up ramp for a rotating sphere is to determine the maximum height at which the sphere can be placed on a ramp before it rolls back down due to gravity and centripetal force.

2. How is the max distance up ramp calculated for a rotating sphere?

The max distance up ramp is calculated by equating the gravitational potential energy of the sphere at its highest point on the ramp to its kinetic energy as it rolls down the ramp. This equation can be solved for the maximum height of the ramp.

3. What factors affect the max distance up ramp for a rotating sphere?

The max distance up ramp for a rotating sphere is affected by the mass and radius of the sphere, the angle of the ramp, the coefficient of friction between the sphere and the ramp, and the speed of rotation of the sphere.

4. How does the speed of rotation of the sphere affect the max distance up ramp?

The speed of rotation of the sphere affects the max distance up ramp by increasing the amount of centripetal force acting on the sphere, which in turn increases the maximum height the sphere can reach before rolling back down the ramp.

5. Can the max distance up ramp calculation be applied to objects other than spheres?

While the max distance up ramp calculation is specifically designed for rotating spheres, it can also be applied to other objects with a circular cross-section, such as cylinders or disks, as long as the same assumptions and equations are used.