Measuring Acceleration Due to Gravity: Experiments & Graphs

In summary, the speaker has performed two experiments for physics to measure acceleration due to gravity. The first experiment involved dropping a ball from a certain height and using the s=ut+0.5at^2 formula to calculate the acceleration. They are unsure of what to plot on the graph, but suggest using height and time as possible options. They also wonder if they should drop the ball from more heights and if they need to plot two graphs. The second experiment involved using a trolley, tape timer, and mass attached to a string and pulley. They did this experiment with three different masses and repeated it twice for each mass. The speaker is unsure of how to graph this experiment and asks if they need to create three graphs.
UnD
Hey, i got to do 2 experiements for physics to measure acceleraetion due to gravity,
i did free fall experiment, dropping a ball from a certain hieght and measuring time n using the s=ut +.5 a t^2 forumula to get a
and i need to graph this but i do not know what the two things i shot plot
maybe the hieght and time?
also i droped it from 2 hieghts should i need to do it more?
do i need to plot 2 graphs?

also the second experiment i did was da 1 where u have the trolley n ticky tape timer n the tape is attached to da trolley n a string on other side is attached to the trolley and the string is over a pulley n attached to a mass
i did it with 3 different mass and repeated it twice with each mass
so how would i graph this experiment?, do i need three graphs?, please help
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
UnD said:
Hey, i got to do 2 experiements for physics to measure acceleraetion due to gravity,
i did free fall experiment, dropping a ball from a certain hieght and measuring time n using the s=ut +.5 a t^2 forumula to get a
and i need to graph this but i do not know what the two things i shot plot
maybe the hieght and time?
also i droped it from 2 hieghts should i need to do it more?
do i need to plot 2 graphs?

concerning the graph, you should think, in the s=ut+0.5at^2 equation, which are the constants and which are the variables?

I would suggest plotting a graph of height versus time for your free fall experiment. This will help you visualize the relationship between the two variables and determine the acceleration due to gravity. You can also plot a graph of velocity versus time, as this will also show the acceleration of the ball as it falls.

For your second experiment, you can plot a graph of force (determined by the mass and acceleration of the trolley) versus mass. This will help you determine the relationship between force and mass, and you can use this to calculate the acceleration due to gravity. You can also plot a graph of acceleration versus mass, as this will also show the relationship between the two variables.

It is always a good idea to repeat your experiments multiple times to ensure accuracy and reliability of your results. You can plot all of your data points on one graph or create separate graphs for each trial. This will help you see any patterns or trends in your data.

Remember to label your axes correctly and include units for each variable. This will make your graphs more informative and easier to interpret. Good luck with your experiments!

1. What is acceleration due to gravity?

Acceleration due to gravity is the rate at which an object falls towards the Earth due to the force of gravity. On Earth, this acceleration is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How do you measure acceleration due to gravity?

One way to measure acceleration due to gravity is by conducting experiments using objects falling freely under the influence of gravity. This can be done by dropping objects from a known height and measuring the time it takes for them to reach the ground. The acceleration due to gravity can then be calculated using the formula a = 2d/t², where a is acceleration, d is distance, and t is time.

3. What are some common experiments used to measure acceleration due to gravity?

Some common experiments include dropping objects from a known height, using a pendulum, and using an inclined plane. These experiments allow for the measurement of the acceleration due to gravity under different conditions and can help to verify the value of 9.8 m/s².

4. How does the acceleration due to gravity vary on different planets?

The acceleration due to gravity varies on different planets depending on their mass and radius. It is directly proportional to the mass of the planet and inversely proportional to the square of its radius. This means that smaller planets have a weaker gravitational pull, while larger planets have a stronger gravitational pull.

5. How do you represent the data from experiments measuring acceleration due to gravity?

The data from experiments measuring acceleration due to gravity can be represented using graphs. The x-axis can represent the time and the y-axis can represent the distance or velocity. The slope of the graph can then be used to calculate the acceleration due to gravity. The graph should also be linear, as the acceleration due to gravity is a constant value.