1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explain why the electric field strength is zero

1. Nov 13, 2004 #1
    I am stuck on my physics homework. I can manage the latter question, how ever when i work out the first one my working out has no rhyme nor reason (nor a right answer). Any help will be great.

A small metal sphere on an insulating rod is placed on a top pan balance, as shown in the diagram below. An identical metal sphere carrying a charge of 2Q on an insulating rod is brought into contact with th sphere on the balance so each sphere aquires the same charge.

When the two spheres are a separation of 68 mm, the top of the pan balance reading increases by 2.1 x 10 ^-3 N. Calculate the charge, Q, on each sphere.

Explain why the electric field strength is zero at the midpoint between the two charge. ​

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2004 #2
    sorry just read the sticky after posting
    This is how i attempted to do it, but then realised how completly stupid and random it was
    F/Q = E = V/d -> v/o = (2.1 x 10 ^ -3) / 2 -> 1.05 x 10 ^-3

(1.05 x 10 ^ -3) / 0.068 = (2.1 x 10 ^ -3) / Q
    Q= (2.1 x 10 ^-3) / (1.544 x 10 ^ -3)
    = 0.136 C which is stupid

4. Nov 13, 2004 #3

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Coulomb's law states:

F = (k*q1*q2)/r^2

q1 = Q
    q2 = 2Q
    r = 68mm
    k= boltzmann constant (See your book for this value)
    F = 2.1mN

Solve for Q

Once you have Q it should be easy to figure out the electric field due to each charge.

5. Nov 13, 2004 #4
    thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?