Explain why the electric field strength is zero

In summary, the conversation discussed a physics homework problem involving two charged spheres on an insulating rod. The problem required calculating the charge, Q, on each sphere using Coulomb's law and the top pan balance reading. The conversation also touched on the concept of electric field strength and its relation to the distance between two charges.
MightyMeanie
I am stuck on my physics homework. I can manage the latter question, how ever when i work out the first one my working out has no rhyme nor reason (nor a right answer). Any help will be great.

A small metal sphere on an insulating rod is placed on a top pan balance, as shown in the diagram below. An identical metal sphere carrying a charge of 2Q on an insulating rod is brought into contact with th sphere on the balance so each sphere acquires the same charge.

When the two spheres are a separation of 68 mm, the top of the pan balance reading increases by 2.1 x 10 ^-3 N. Calculate the charge, Q, on each sphere.

Explain why the electric field strength is zero at the midpoint between the two charge.​

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry just read the sticky after posting
This is how i attempted to do it, but then realized how completely stupid and random it was
F/Q = E = V/d -> v/o = (2.1 x 10 ^ -3) / 2 -> 1.05 x 10 ^-3

(1.05 x 10 ^ -3) / 0.068 = (2.1 x 10 ^ -3) / Q
Q= (2.1 x 10 ^-3) / (1.544 x 10 ^ -3)
= 0.136 C which is stupid

Coulomb's law states:

F = (k*q1*q2)/r^2

q1 = Q
q2 = 2Q
r = 68mm
k= Boltzmann constant (See your book for this value)
F = 2.1mN

Solve for Q

Once you have Q it should be easy to figure out the electric field due to each charge.

thank you!

FAQ: Explain why the electric field strength is zero

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds charged objects and exerts a force on other charged objects within its range.

2. Why does the electric field strength sometimes equal zero?

The electric field strength can equal zero in certain situations where there are no charged objects present or when the charges are evenly distributed in such a way that the forces cancel each other out.

3. How is the strength of an electric field measured?

The strength of an electric field is measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C), which represents the force exerted on a unit charge in the field.

4. Can the electric field strength ever be negative?

Yes, the electric field strength can be negative if the force acting on a charged object is in the opposite direction of the electric field. This can happen when the charges are of opposite polarity.

5. What are some real-life examples of when the electric field strength is zero?

In a uniform electric field, the strength would be zero in the middle of two equal and opposite charges, or at the center of a charged spherical conductor. It can also be zero inside a Faraday cage, which is used to block out electric fields.