Explaining Adiabatic Process taking Van Der Waals Equations?

In summary: To get the relationships between temperature and volume or pressuer-temperature using this, you would need to know the specific heats of various substances.
srikkanth_kn
To Forum Physicists / Administrators...
Equations for an ideal gas undergoing an adiabatic process are 3 viz
1) P(v^g)=const
2)T(V^(g-1)) =constant and
3)T(P^((1-g)/g))= constant

where g=specific heat for const pressure/specific heat for const volume.These equations suits the Ideal gas since they are based on the assumption that PV=RT.

There is a derivation of van der waals equation according to which a modification of the ideal gas law was suggested taking into account the vander waals forces and nonzero size of molecules .(it also approximates the behavior of real fluids, taking into account the nonzero size of molecules and the attraction between them). The equation is (p + a / v2)(v − b) = kT.How can we modify the three equations cited above for gas(or fluid) undergoing an adiabatic process if van der waals correction is taken into account? How to derive and solve them?. I searched web pages and didn't find any.I'm a new comer

Physics news on Phys.org
srikkanth_kn said:
To Forum Physicists / Administrators...
Equations for an ideal gas undergoing an adiabatic process are 3 viz
1) P(v^g)=const
2)T(V^(g-1)) =constant and
3)T(P^((1-g)/g))= constant

where g=specific heat for const pressure/specific heat for const volume.These equations suits the Ideal gas since they are based on the assumption that PV=RT.

There is a derivation of van der waals equation according to which a modification of the ideal gas law was suggested taking into account the vander waals forces and nonzero size of molecules .(it also approximates the behavior of real fluids, taking into account the nonzero size of molecules and the attraction between them). The equation is (p + a / v2)(v − b) = kT.How can we modify the three equations cited above for gas(or fluid) undergoing an adiabatic process if van der waals correction is taken into account? How to derive and solve them?. I searched web pages and didn't find any.I'm a new comer

Is this a homework question? If so, I believe that the rule is that you should post in the homework forums. Anyways. You should review the derivation of equations 1 thru 3 starting from the ideal gas equation PV=RT. Then simply work thru the same steps but starting with the van der waals equation rather than the ideal gas equation.

olgranpappy said:
Is this a homework question? If so, I believe that the rule is that you should post in the homework forums. Anyways. You should review the derivation of equations 1 thru 3 starting from the ideal gas equation PV=RT. Then simply work thru the same steps but starting with the van der waals equation rather than the ideal gas equation.

NO!, its NOT AT ALL a homework question.I'm a post garduate in COMMERCE not student in a high school. Actually as a hobby I search & learn physics thru web pages and learned special relativity myself (from the scratch in just 3 months). Gas laws were well understood until this puzzled me since I saw about the van der waals equation and I ALREADY did that "simply work thru the same steps but starting with the van der waals equation rather than the ideal gas equation" part even before searching web pages.The way the calculus was applied to original Eqns gets far complex as it takes a form of dy/dx=f(x,y). One cannot find any web pages that deals with this problem.i learned that after spending Terabytes of browsing quota.HENCE I NEED HELP!..AND I EXPECT AN ANSWER...

Last edited:
srikkanth_kn said:
I ALREADY did that "simply work thru the same steps but starting with the van der waals equation rather than the ideal gas equation" part even before searching web pages.

So, what did you arrive at after working through the same steps? An equation of the form:
[tex]
\frac{dP}{dV}+Pf(V)+g(V)=0\;?
[/tex]

What expressions did you find for the functions [tex]f(V)[/tex] and [tex]g(V)[/tex]?

srikkanth_kn said:
Gas laws were well understood until this puzzled me since I saw about the van der waals equation and I ALREADY did that "simply work thru the same steps but starting with the van der waals equation rather than the ideal gas equation" part even before searching web pages.The way the calculus was applied to original Eqns gets far complex as it takes a form of dy/dx=f(x,y).

Try following http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html" for the Ideal adiabatic condition but use the Van der Waals equation:

[tex]\left(P + a\left(\frac{n}{V}\right)^2\right)\left(\frac{V}{n} - b\right) = RT[/tex]

rather than the Ideal Gas law: PV/n=RT

AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Here Is A Try

olgranpappy said:
So, what did you arrive at after working through the same steps? An equation of the form:
[tex]
\frac{dP}{dV}+Pf(V)+g(V)=0\;?
[/tex]

What expressions did you find for the functions [tex]f(V)[/tex] and [tex]g(V)[/tex]?

I tried , but as I asked earlier, the final result was not in any explicit form.Its not even clear how
to get the relationships between temperature and volume or pressuer-temperature using this.

For Ideal gas:
PV=RT;Replacing R and T with R= Cp-Cv; T= -PdV/Cv (-ve since energy is expended for volume increase)
and differentiating PV gives PdV+VdP=(Cp-Cv)(-PdV/Cv)
Now Cp/Cv=Y ('Y' resembles gamma in plain txt format)
hence, PdV+VdP=PdV-YPdV => VdP=-YPdV
dividing throught by PV => Log(P)=-YLog(V)+C
Antilog(Log(P)+YLog(V))=K => P(V^Y)=K
This equation can be expressed EXPLICITLY in terms of P and V; thus:
P=K(V^-Y) and V=(K/P)^1/Y

With Van der waals correction:

(P+a/V^2)(V-b)=RT. Putting this as
PV+a/V-Pb-ab/V^2=RT.Again RT=(Cp-Cv)(-PdV/Cv) for the same reason
Differentiating LHS
PdV+VdP-a/V^2-bdP+2ab/V^3=PdV-YPdV
Dividing throught by PV
Log(P)-a/(V^3*P)-b/V(Log(P))+2ab/P*V^4+Y*Log(V)=C
Solving(or further complicating ) to
(P^[1-b/V])( V^Y )(EXP(a[2b-v]/P*V^4])=K
Given the Inputs P1, V1, a and b ;and P2, other than guess work how would we get V2?
So this Bold one not Solvable in terms of one of the variables

Andrew Mason said:
Try following http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html" for the Ideal adiabatic condition but use the Van der Waals equation:

[tex]\left(P + a\left(\frac{n}{V}\right)^2\right)\left(\frac{V}{n} - b\right) = RT[/tex]

AM

I tried , but as I asked earlier, the final result was not in any explicit form.Its not even clear how
to get the relationships between temperature and volume or pressuer-temperature using this.

For Ideal gas:
PV=RT;Replacing R and T with R= Cp-Cv; T= -PdV/Cv (-ve since energy is expended for volume increase)
and differentiating PV gives PdV+VdP=(Cp-Cv)(-PdV/Cv)
Now Cp/Cv=Y ('Y' resembles gamma in plain txt format)
hence, PdV+VdP=PdV-YPdV => VdP=-YPdV
dividing throught by PV => Log(P)=-YLog(V)+C
Antilog(Log(P)+YLog(V))=K => P(V^Y)=K
This equation can be expressed EXPLICITLY in terms of P and V; thus:
P=K(V^-Y) and V=(K/P)^1/Y

With Van der waals correction:

(P+a/V^2)(V-b)=RT. Putting this as
PV+a/V-Pb-ab/V^2=RT.Again RT=(Cp-Cv)(-PdV/Cv) for the same reason
Differentiating LHS
PdV+VdP-a/V^2-bdP+2ab/V^3=PdV-YPdV
Dividing throught by PV
Log(P)-a/(V^3*P)-b/V(Log(P))+2ab/P*V^4+Y*Log(V)=C
Solving(or further complicating ) to
(P^[1-b/V])( V^Y )(EXP(a[2b-v]/P*V^4])=K
Given the Inputs P1, V1, a and b ;and P2, other than guess work how would we get V2?
So this not Solvable in terms of one of the variables

Andrew Mason said:

AM

I don't think that your hint will actually work. In the derivation you cite, they use a relationship:

[tex] dU = n\, c_v\, dT [/tex]

For the ideal gas, the internal energy is only a function of the temperature, so the above relationship holds for all processes, not only constant volume ones. However, in general the above relationship is only true along an isochore, and we're moving on an adiabat.

To substantiate this further, you can look at the expression for the internal energy of the van der Waals gas as a function of (T,V,N) given in Wikipedia. There I find that:

[tex] U = \frac{3}{2} N k T - \frac{a N^2}{V} [/tex]

Along an adiabat in general T and V will change, and so we can't just use the specific heat at constant volume to get the energy change.

KieranMullen said:
I don't think that your hint will actually work. In the derivation you cite, they use a relationship:

[tex] dU = n\, c_v\, dT [/tex]

For the ideal gas, the internal energy is only a function of the temperature, so the above relationship holds for all processes, not only constant volume ones. However, in general the above relationship is only true along an isochore, and we're moving on an adiabat.

To substantiate this further, you can look at the expression for the internal energy of the van der Waals gas as a function of (T,V,N) given in Wikipedia. There I find that:

[tex] U = \frac{3}{2} N k T - \frac{a N^2}{V} [/tex]

Along an adiabat in general T and V will change, and so we can't just use the specific heat at constant volume to get the energy change.

From the above expression for the internal energy of a van der Waals gas, one can derive an expression of form f(T,V)=constant in the following way:

From dU=dQ+dW and dW=p dV, we have dQ=dU + p dV = 0 (since the process is adiabatic)

Then expand dU in terms of dT and dV to get

(dU/dT) dT + (dU/dV) dV + p dV = 0

Calculate the derivatives from the expression for U above, and substitute for p from the original van der Waals equation of state. This will give you a separable ODE in T and V; from the ODE solution you can derive the relation f(T,V)=constant. From this, you should then be able to work out the expressions f(P,V)=constant and f(T,P)=constant .

jweisert said:
From the above expression for the internal energy of a van der Waals gas, one can derive an expression of form f(T,V)=constant in the following way:

From dU=dQ+dW and dW=p dV, we have dQ=dU + p dV = 0 (since the process is adiabatic)

Calculate the derivatives from the expression for U above, and substitute for p from the original van der Waals equation of state. This will give you a separable ODE in T and V; from the ODE solution you can derive the relation f(T,V)=constant. From this, you should then be able to work out the expressions f(P,V)=constant and f(T,P)=constant .

oops -- that should have been dW=-p dV

jweisert said:

Your above calculation is fine. However, if the question is about a system where we don't have an expression for the internal energy, U, then I think we are stuck. The first answer suggested that one use dU= cv dT. My reply was that the internal energy can be a function of volume, and I gave the vdW gas expression for U, not supplied by the original posting. You are absolutely right that if we use this expression for U(T,V), we can solve for the adiabat. But if we don't have such an expression, I don't think that we can (in general) solve for adiabats.

How does one calculate U for the vdW gas from the vdW equation of state? On Wikipedia, they work from Statistical Mechanics. Callen derives an expression for S(U,V,N) for the van der Waals fluid from the vdW equation, but he does have to make some assumptions. If all one has is the vdW equation and you can't make any other assumptions, I think you may be stuck.

However, I would like to use your derivation as a homework problem in my next assignment on the vdW gas. :-)

Related to Explaining Adiabatic Process taking Van Der Waals Equations?

1. What is an adiabatic process?

An adiabatic process is a thermodynamic process in which there is no exchange of heat between the system and its surroundings. This means that the system does not gain or lose any heat during the process.

2. How is an adiabatic process described using Van Der Waals equations?

Van Der Waals equations describe the behavior of a gas under non-ideal conditions, taking into account intermolecular forces and the volume occupied by the gas particles. These equations can be used to describe the changes in pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas during an adiabatic process.

3. What are the limitations of using Van Der Waals equations to explain adiabatic processes?

Van Der Waals equations are based on certain assumptions and may not accurately describe all adiabatic processes. They do not take into account the effects of temperature on the intermolecular forces, and may not be applicable to gases with highly complex molecular structures.

4. How does an adiabatic process differ from an isothermal process?

An adiabatic process does not involve any heat exchange, while an isothermal process occurs at a constant temperature. This means that in an adiabatic process, the temperature of the system may change, while in an isothermal process, the temperature remains constant.

5. What are some real-life examples of adiabatic processes?

Some real-life examples of adiabatic processes include the compression and expansion of air in a bicycle pump, the compression of air in a car engine, and the expansion of air in a refrigerator during the cooling process.