Explaining Sinusoidal Motion: x = A sin(wt)

In summary, the equation x = A sin(wt) represents sinusoidal motion, which is a type of periodic motion where the cycle repeats after a fixed amount of radians or time. The amplitude (A), angular velocity (w), and time (t) are all variables that determine the motion. The equation is derived by comparing it to an object rotating in a circle, and depending on the starting position, either sine or cosine is used. The value of x is determined by the angle θ, which is measured anti-clockwise from the equilibrium position.
mlostrac
Can someone please explain the following equation:

x = A sin(wt)

where A = amplitude, w = angular velocity, t = time.

The way it's explained in my textbook is very confusing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well what in the equation is confusing you exactly?

Sinusoidal motion is basically a periodic motion. Every fixed amount of radians or time, the cycle repeats. This is seen if the graph is plotted.

rock.freak667 said:
Well what in the equation is confusing you exactly?

Sinusoidal motion is basically a periodic motion. Every fixed amount of radians or time, the cycle repeats. This is seen if the graph is plotted.

Umm, well the way they get the equation. The text says "we can derive a formula for the period of simple harmonic motion by comparing it to an object rotating in a circle"

How they get their variables, using the object rotating in a circle, is what I find confusing. For example: why choose "sin" when the object is at the equilibrium position (and t = 0)?

mlostrac said:
Umm, well the way they get the equation. The text says "we can derive a formula for the period of simple harmonic motion by comparing it to an object rotating in a circle"

How they get their variables, using the object rotating in a circle, is what I find confusing. For example: why choose "sin" when the object is at the equilibrium position (and t = 0)?

If you inspect the graph of x=sint, you will see that at x=0, t= 0. Meaning that they are starting off with the object not moving from it's equilibrium position.

Had the stretched it to its maximum value, they'd use x=cos(t).

So essentially, starting from equilibrium position, use sine.

Starting from maximum position, use cosine.

rock.freak667 said:
If you inspect the graph of x=sint, you will see that at x=0, t= 0. Meaning that they are starting off with the object not moving from it's equilibrium position.

Had the stretched it to its maximum value, they'd use x=cos(t).

So essentially, starting from equilibrium position, use sine.

Starting from maximum position, use cosine.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?73b50a3632.jpg

I uploaded the picture from my text.

So what I was wondering, if the object is directly in the middle (x = 0), the "A" line would be straight up and down. Therefore, where does sin come in if there is no "x" to form a triangle like that in picture (a)?

mlostrac said:
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?73b50a3632.jpg

I uploaded the picture from my text.

So what I was wondering, if the object is directly in the middle (x = 0), the "A" line would be straight up and down. Therefore, where does sin come in if there is no "x" to form a triangle like that in picture (a)?

Normally, you displace the mass at an angle θ from the equilibrium position. This is done so that you can arrive at an equation of motion for the mass. It should be noted that, 'x' is a horizontal displacement, so 'x' will not be a sine but a cosine.

x=Acosθ

'A' is a constant radius is in the circle so if viewed from the side, the maximum distance the mass moves on either side of x=0 is A.

When x=0, you get Acosθ or θ=π/2. So if you view from the top (circle), you will see the mass directly above x=0. If you view from the side (harmonic motion) you will see the mass at x=0.

rock.freak667 said:
Normally, you displace the mass at an angle θ from the equilibrium position. This is done so that you can arrive at an equation of motion for the mass. It should be noted that, 'x' is a horizontal displacement, so 'x' will not be a sine but a cosine.

x=Acosθ

'A' is a constant radius is in the circle so if viewed from the side, the maximum distance the mass moves on either side of x=0 is A.

When x=0, you get Acosθ or θ=π/2. So if you view from the top (circle), you will see the mass directly above x=0. If you view from the side (harmonic motion) you will see the mass at x=0.

Ok, but if you start at x = 0 (the equilibrium position) and then push the object, you use sine?

My book says, "If at t = 0 the object is at the equilibrium position and the oscillations are begun by giving the object a push to the right (+x), the equation would be:

x = A(sin)wt = A(sin)[2(pi)t/T]"

I understand the cosine; but just don't know why they use sine?

mlostrac said:
Ok, but if you start at x = 0 (the equilibrium position) and then push the object, you use sine?

mlostrac said:
My book says, "If at t = 0 the object is at the equilibrium position and the oscillations are begun by giving the object a push to the right (+x), the equation would be:

x = A(sin)wt = A(sin)[2(pi)t/T]"

I understand the cosine; but just don't know why they use sine?

Yes will it is just like how your book says, since t=0 should correspond to x=0, the only functions you have to use are sin(t) and cos(t), sin(t) fits this best.

rock.freak667 said:
Yes will it is just like how your book says, since t=0 should correspond to x=0, the only functions you have to use are sin(t) and cos(t), sin(t) fits this best.
Ok, I think I can do good just memorizing that.

But Looking at the diagram I attached, if there is no "x" (because the "A" is perpendicular to the x-axis --> "A" is at the 12 o'clock position on the circle) where does sine come from? There should be no angle because there's no x value?

mlostrac said:
But Looking at the diagram I attached, if there is no "x" (because the "A" is perpendicular to the x-axis --> "A" is at the 12 o'clock position on the circle) where does sine come from? There should be no angle because there's no x value?

In your diagram, you are measuring θ anti-clockwise, so at that position, x=0 when θ=π/2 radians or 90°.

But given how that diagram is drawn with the arrows as is, it looks like they started at x=A and then displaced (since the angle is drawn how it is), so for that motion, the equation would be x=Acosθ or x=Acosωt.

If they wanted to show the correct diagram for the sine motion, what they should have done was draw the angle measured from the 12 o'clock position. (as that would show x=Asinωt). OR they should have drawn the observer at the adjacent side of the table.

rock.freak667 said:
In your diagram, you are measuring θ anti-clockwise, so at that position, x=0 when θ=π/2 radians or 90°.

But given how that diagram is drawn with the arrows as is, it looks like they started at x=A and then displaced (since the angle is drawn how it is), so for that motion, the equation would be x=Acosθ or x=Acosωt.

If they wanted to show the correct diagram for the sine motion, what they should have done was draw the angle measured from the 12 o'clock position. (as that would show x=Asinωt). OR they should have drawn the observer at the adjacent side of the table.

Ok I think I got it. Thanks for your help!

Related to Explaining Sinusoidal Motion: x = A sin(wt)

What is sinusoidal motion?

Sinusoidal motion is a type of periodic motion where an object moves back and forth in a repetitive pattern, similar to a wave. This type of motion is often described using a mathematical function, such as the equation x = A sin(wt), where x represents the position of the object, A is the amplitude, t is time, and w is the angular frequency.

What does the equation x = A sin(wt) represent?

The equation x = A sin(wt) represents the position of an object undergoing sinusoidal motion. The variable A represents the amplitude, which is the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. The variable w represents the angular frequency, which determines the speed at which the object oscillates. The variable t represents time.

How is sinusoidal motion different from other types of motion?

Sinusoidal motion is different from other types of motion because it follows a specific pattern of movement. The position of the object can be described using a mathematical function, and the object oscillates between a maximum and minimum position with a constant period. Other types of motion, such as linear or circular motion, do not follow this pattern.

What factors affect the motion described by x = A sin(wt)?

The motion described by x = A sin(wt) can be affected by the amplitude (A) and the angular frequency (w). A larger amplitude will result in a greater maximum displacement of the object, while a larger angular frequency will result in a faster oscillation. The medium in which the object is moving and any external forces acting on the object can also affect its motion.

How is sinusoidal motion used in real-world applications?

Sinusoidal motion is used in many real-world applications, such as in the motion of a pendulum, the vibration of a guitar string, and the sound waves produced by a speaker. It is also commonly used in electrical engineering to describe alternating current (AC) circuits. Understanding sinusoidal motion is essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.