Explanation of net torque in a problem

In summary, "net torque" is a term used to describe the rotational force applied to an object. In a problem involving a bicycle wheel, the torque is calculated by multiplying the mass of the wheel, the radius of the wheel, and the angular acceleration. The torque can also be affected by external forces, such as the force applied by a chain on a sprocket attached to the wheel. It is important to consider the correct lever arm when calculating the net torque, as shown in the example.
jolt527
Explanation of "net torque" in a problem

I hate to ask such a simple question, but I was working on a problem where the idea of "net torque" was calculated differently than I thought. I more or less and just looking for the flaw in my logic and an explanation. :smile:

Here's the main problem: A bicycle wheel has a diameter of 64.0 cm and a mass of 1.80 kg. Assume that the wheel is a hoop with all of its mass concentrated on the outside radius. The bicycle is placed on a stationary stand on rollers, and a resistive force of 120 N is applied tangent to the rim of the tire. What force must be applied by a chain passing over a 9.00-cm-diameter sprocket if the wheel is to attain an acceleration of 4.50 rad/s^2?

Okay, most of what I worked out was correct except for one part of the final equation. Here's some work that produces the correct answer:

[tex]\Sigma \tau = I \alpha = M_{W}R_{W}^2 \alpha[/tex]
[tex]M_{W}R_{W}^2 \alpha = \Sigma rF \sin \phi = R_{SPR}F_{CH} - R_{W}F_{RES}[/tex]

Solving for the force of the chain [tex]\left(F_{CH}\right)[/tex]:

[tex]F_{CH} = \frac{M_{W}R_{W}^2 \alpha + R_{W}F_{RES}}{R_{SPR}} = \textrm{872 N}[/tex]

Now, the only problem is with part of the net torque, namely the part dealing with the sprocket [tex]\left( R_{SPR}F_{CH} \right)[/tex] on the second line of equations. When we are dealing with the net torque on something, I supposed that that term ought to be [tex]\left( R_{W}F_{CH} \right)[/tex] because we're talking about the force of the chain on the wheel. I'm stumped on why we're using the radius of the sprocket instead of the radius of the wheel. Is my understanding of what net torque means wrong, or am I just misunderstanding it for the problem? Any help is greatly appreciated, and thank you! :smile:

-Keith

Physics news on Phys.org

jolt527 said:
I supposed that that term ought to be [tex]\left( R_{W}F_{CH} \right)[/tex] because we're talking about the force of the chain on the wheel. I'm stumped on why we're using the radius of the sprocket instead of the radius of the wheel.

-Keith

Hi Keith,

Look at a bicycle. When you pedal, a sprocket attached to the pedals rotates. This sprocket has a chain looped around it. The other end of the chain is looped around a sprocket that is attached to the back wheel at its centre . This latter sprocket is the sprocket in question.

So, when you pedal a bike, you apply a torque to the sprocket (or gear) on the back wheel. This torque is in turn applied to the back wheel, but only by virtue of the fact that they are attached. The diameter of the sprocket is the only lever arm available for the force from the chain. The full diameter of the wheel is not available, because that's not what the chain is pulling on.

Thanks for the reply, cepheid! I actually feel really dumb now, because I was picturing the sprocket away from the wheel instead of attached to it. Now the mathematics make total sense, along with the answer. Sorry to have wasted some of your time, but thanks for helping me to know that my physics are okay, just my understanding of the problem was off. :-p

-Keith

No problems Keith. Without a picture, and only a description, this problem can be a bit abstract!

Related to Explanation of net torque in a problem

1. What is net torque?

Net torque is the measure of the rotational force acting on an object. It is the product of the magnitude of the force and the perpendicular distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force.

2. How is net torque calculated?

Net torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot or axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This product is then multiplied by the sine of the angle between the force and the lever arm.

3. What are the units of net torque?

The units of net torque are Newton-meters (Nm) in the International System of Units (SI) or pound-feet (lb-ft) in the Imperial System. These units represent the product of force in Newtons or pounds and distance in meters or feet.

4. How does net torque affect rotational motion?

Net torque affects rotational motion by causing an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point. The direction of rotation depends on the direction of the net torque, which can be either clockwise or counterclockwise.

5. What are some real-world applications of net torque?

Net torque has many real-world applications, including understanding the movement of objects in sports such as gymnastics and figure skating, designing machines and tools that use rotational motion, and analyzing the stability of structures like bridges and buildings.