Explore Old TV & Radio Series: Space Patrol & UFO

In summary, the conversation on Coast to Coast discussed old radio and TV series such as Space Patrol and UFO. The discussion also brought up the possibility of being able to watch any TV show ever made in the future. Some shows mentioned included The Brady Bunch, Twilight Zone, Green Acres, Ivor the Engine, Superted, Bananaman, Fireman Sam, Thundercats, Bertha, and Green Claws. The conversation also touched on the idea of passing on TV show traditions and the obscure nature of most programs. Lastly, the conversation mentioned the show "It's About Time" and its theme song, which some members of the conversation could still remember.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Tonight on Coast to Coast they were talking about the old radio and TV series, Space Patrol. I have heard of it once or twice but that's all. Apparently this had a following much like Star Trek, which came much later. Does this bring back memories for anyone?
http://www.spacepatrolbook.com/

While poking around I ran across an old BBC show that, strangely enough, I had completely forgotten: UFO. Did anyone ever watch this? I remember that it seemed very strange and a bit scary. But for its time it was really pretty good. Looking back I'm surprised that it only ran for one season.
http://www.ufoseries.com/

Its funny how we still see The Bradys, Twilight Zone, Green Acres, etc etc with the Nick TV phenomenon. A friend once commented that his kids like the old shows better than the new ones. So like dad, the kids grew up with the Brady Bunch.

With the information age at work, I guess that soon we will be able to watch any TV show ever made and preserved, at will. It makes me wonder how long this will continue. A few hundred years from now, will kids still be watching the Brady Bunch? Or taking a step further, say a thousand years ahead, imagine watching one's ancient ancestors. Or, in the spirit of the season, it would be like having on-the-scene news coverage of the crucifiction. Would we see the 0 AD version of Heraldo on-the-scene when the body disappeared Easter morning? Would we see the apostles on Egypt's Oprah? :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
I used to watch 'Project UFO'. It was pretty cheesy (not nearly as good as the Supermarionation stuff like Thunderbirds). What got me was the 'formula' battle scenes. I'm sure they just showed the same one over and over from stock footage.

My family didn't own a tv until 1960, but there was this movie house. On saturday nights for a buck, they would show old tv shows like SPACE PATROLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

Ivan Seeking said:
With the information age at work, I guess that soon we will be able to watch any TV show ever made and preserved, at will. It makes me wonder how long this will continue. A few hundred years from now, will kids still be watching the Brady Bunch?

If they ever arrange a comprehensive TV program setup like that, you'll probably have to specify what shows you'd like to watch yourself, rather than having them scheduled and broadcast for you. So, I doubt kids would be growing up watching the Brady Bunch, unless their parents passed on the tradition by choosing to select Brady Bunch episodes from a large menu to show their kids, or the kids themselves decided to select the episodes themselves (doubtful).

Ivor the Engine, Superted, Bananaman, Fireman Sam, Thundercats, Bertha, and Green Claws to name but a few. Very few can be found on Bittorrent, not that I've been looking...

brewnog said:
Ivor the Engine, Superted, Bananaman, Fireman Sam, Thundercats, Bertha, and Green Claws to name but a few
I would have sworn that you just made those up to confuse us, but I've actually heard of Thundercats. :wink:

Danger said:
I would have sworn that you just made those up to confuse us, but I've actually heard of Thundercats. :wink:

I wasn't going to include it but I figured you North Americans wouldn't believe me otherwise. :smile:

Bertha was the best. It was a massive green machine with a face. It could make anything. I think it was Bertha who sparked my interest in engineering, although it could easily have been Ivor; the camp Welsh tank engine.

I don't remember Bertha or Green Claws :redface:. Rainbow! *Thinks about infamous Rainbow video* :biggrin:.

hypnagogue said:
unless their parents passed on the tradition by choosing to select Brady Bunch episodes from a large menu to show their kids, or the kids themselves decided to select the episodes themselves (doubtful).

History classes? :biggrin: Funny enough, you can get college credit for watching The Twilight Zone. I would imagine this is for media arts classes of some sort - I hope!

True enough though, in the ocean of information that accumulates daily, most programs will be remain obscure and unltimately pass into oblivion. But I also think that if its possible, people will watch some shows from various times in their history.

Back in my childhood there was a TV show that I have totally forgotten, except for the first part of the opening jingle that they used: "It's about time, it's about space. It's about the end of the human race..." Beyond that, I have no clue what the show was about or who was in it.

Janitor said:
Back in my childhood there was a TV show that I have totally forgotten, except for the first part of the opening jingle that they used: "It's about time, it's about space. It's about the end of the human race..." Beyond that, I have no clue what the show was about or who was in it.

Oh maaaaannnnn...now that's going to bug me. Wasn't that from a cartoon about a family that lived on another planet; or a family of space superheros...? I can still hear the song. There was even a kid thing: "It's about time, it's about space. It's about time to slap your face" [slap] which apparently is really funny when you're six or eight years old.

Janitor said:
Beyond that, I have no clue what the show was about or who was in it.
The show was called "It's About Time", sort of stone-age Gilligan's Island. It revolved around 2 Gemini astronaughts who got time-warped back to Flintstone days. The only actors that I remember are Joe E. Lewis and Imogene Coca as the parental cave people. It wasn't one of the more intellectual offerings of the day. (And the first part of the song was "It's about time; it's about space; about two strangers in the strangest place...)

I am ashamed to know this. :redface:

Danger said:
I am ashamed to know this. :redface:

Danger Will Robinson; the first TV generation is growing old. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Oh maaaaannnnn...now that's going to bug me. Wasn't that from a cartoon about a family that lived on another planet; or a family of space superheros...? I can still hear the song. There was even a kid thing: "It's about time, it's about space. It's about time to slap your face" [slap] which apparently is really funny when you're six or eight years old.
I loved that show, it had Imogene Coca in it as a cave women. It was called "It's about time". A couple of astronauts accidently travel back in time to the prehistoric era.

"It's about time, It's about space, About strange people in the strangest place."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059997/

edit: :smile: I did not see danger's post until AFTER my post. This is scary :smile:

I did not see danger's post until AFTER my post. This is scary

I know. I hate it when that happens!

I am sorta-kinda remembering this now.

Evo said:
I did not see danger's post until AFTER my post. This is scary :smile:
And they said that we weren't meant to be... :!)

I stand corrected on the words. :redface: That stinkin' song has been running through my head for over 30 years with the wrong lyrics?! How embarrassing!

Last edited:
Oh God, here we go again... Poor Evo. :frown:

Last edited:
I can still see and hear Imogene Coca as that cavewoman. I think of that show every once in awhile.

Anyone remember "My Favorite Martian? That was another of my childhood favorites.

Last edited:
Marshall, Will and Holly
On a routine expedition
Met the greatest earthquake ever known
High on the rapids It struck their tiny raft (insert screams here)
And plunged them down a thousand feet below
To the Land of the Lost
To the Land of the Lost
To the Land of the Lost

Ivan Seeking said:
Danger Will Robinson; the first TV generation is growing old. :biggrin:
I am proud to say that I never saw that show. When I got my morning paper route in ~1964 I quit watching TV, didn't start again until ... Well, maybe I will some day!

Ivan Seeking said:
Oh God, here we go again... Poor Evo. :frown:
She seems okay with it as long as I keep the dog costume on... :devil: :wink:

Evo said:
Anyone remember "My Favorite Martian? That was another of my childhood favorites.
But of course. I even had a 'Martian' colouring book. (And maybe a lunch box, but I can't remember for sure.) As I recall, a bunch of those goofball things all came on about the same time: My Mother the Car; Mr. Terrific; Captain Nice...)

Here's a good one "The Time Tunnel". I don't think I missed a single episode. It was canceled after the first season. :cry:

Danger said:
The show was called "It's About Time"
That was a great show. Well, I liked Gilligan's Island too. :biggrin:

Thunderbirds - Gerry Anderson's Supermarionation. ( I recently got the whole program on DVD - corny, but fun.)

Fireball XL5

Of course - Lone Ranger, Cisco Kid, Zorro, Superman

BBC - Robinhood

From Japan:
8th Man (Tobor) - http://www.alphalink.com.au/~roglen/tobor.htm
Samurai (Shintaro - Onmitsu Kenshi) - http://au.geocities.com/rocket42au/samurai/

Last edited by a moderator:
Danger said:
She seems okay with it as long as I keep the dog costume on... :devil: :wink:
That was you?? I had never seen a dog smoking and drinking beer before...I should've known. :bugeye:

Astronuc said:
Thunderbirds - Gerry Anderson's Supermarionation.
Fireball XL5
Of course - Lone Ranger, Cisco Kid, Zorro, Superman
8th Man (Tobor)
I loved all of those! I actually just found the site about 8th Man when I first got my internet a couple of weeks back. It was one of the first things I looked for. I loved all of the Anderson stuff, except Captain Scarlet never came on a channel that I could get. My faves were Thunderbirds, Supercar and Stingray. (I never even tried to watch that new live-action Thunderbirds. Blasphemy!)
The other Japanese ones that I watched were Gigantor, Marine Boy and Astro Boy.

Evo said:
That was you?? I had never seen a dog smoking and drinking beer before...I should've known. :bugeye:
As I explained elsewhere, that's how I know that you <snort> in your sleep. (Along with other endearing habits that probably shouldn't be aired here. :wink: )

This isn't really all that old (relatively), but kinda specialized. I'm just going to lay something out here to see if Hypatia recognizes it: "Stay sick; climb walls; scratch glass; turn blue; but most importantly of all -- do it while you can, but don't get caught! :biggrin:
Ring any chimes? :wink:

(If anyone else recognizes this, please don't respond until I find out if Hypatia does. It's sort of an inside joke.)

Last edited:
Integral said:
I am proud to say that I never saw that show. When I got my morning paper route in ~1964 I quit watching TV, didn't start again until ... Well, maybe I will some day!

You have missed so much! :biggrin:

Danger said:
I stand corrected on the words. :redface: That stinkin' song has been running through my head for over 30 years with the wrong lyrics?! How embarrassing!
A reliable source says that the correct words are "It's about time, it's about space, it's about two men in the strangest place".

I found a site that says there were two versions, the one above in the first season, then when the cave people went to the 20th century it changed to "about cave-people in the strangest place".

http://www.tvparty.com/itsabout.html

I liked Gumby and Pokey? Was his name really Pokey? :smile:

Speedracer

Did anyone watch Davie and Goliath? As a Catholic kid who went to church six days a week, it really used to tick me off that if I woke up really early on Sat morning, the only thing on was a religious show!

Funny but my sister brought this up tonight: Do we have any Northern Exposure fans? I think Rick's death and funeral is right up there with WKRP's turkey drop as one of the funniest TV plots ever written.

Oh yes, the Time Tunnel was absolutely a favorite; Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea as well. Wow, I haven't thought of some of these shows in decades...Wagon Train.

Now here's a real long shot: Hobo Kelly anyone? Or, whew...Sheriff John? Sheriff John wished me a happy bday on TV. I even got to stay home from kindergarten that day so I could watch. :approve:

Ivan Seeking said:
I liked Gumby and Pokey? Was his name really Pokey? :smile:
Not exactly; they had to alter it slightly for television. :wink:

Evo said:
Here's a good one "The Time Tunnel". I don't think I missed a single episode. It was canceled after the first season. :cry:
I thought that it went 2 seasons, but maybe it just seemed like it because they used to make more episodes per season than they do now. Yeah... I loved it. I still have here somewhere a Viewmaster (remember them?) 3-disk set for the 'Titanic' episode. Along with an original Star Trek and a Land of the Giants. (Even at that tender age, Deanna Lund was pretty much the only reason that I watched it.) I think that I have a model of the LotG shuttle too.

Ivan Seeking said:
Now here's a real long shot: Hobo Kelly anyone? Or, whew...Sheriff John? Sheriff John wished me a happy bday on TV. I even got to stay home from kindergarten that day so I could watch. :approve:
I would suspect that those were locally produced shows? Sure never heard of them up here. We had Colonel Lunar in Calgary.

The Ghoul! And Froggy!omg poor froggy in the blender!