Exploring Acids & Bases: Sodium Acetate & Cyanide Solutions

In summary, the ionization constants for acetic acid and hydrocyanic acid are 1.8E-5 and 4E-10, respectively. In 0.1 M solutions of sodium acetate and sodium cyanide, the [OH-] of the sodium acetate solution is less than that of the sodium cyanide solution due to acetic acid being a stronger acid. The statement that [H+] exceeds [OH-] in each solution is not true, as acetate and cyanide are actually bases, not acids.
Jules18
Here's the question:

The ionization constant for acetic acid is 1.8E-5; that for hydrocyanic acid is 4E-10. In 0.1 M solutions of sodium acetate and sodium cyanide, it is true that:

And the answer is:

[OH-] of the sodium acetate solution is less than that of the sodium cyanide solution.

Which makes sense to me, because acetic acid is the stronger acid. But there's another option in the list that it says is NOT true:

[H+] exceeds [OH-] in each solution.

I thought this might be true, because both are solutions of chemicals that were referred to as acids.
Am I missing the definition of an acid?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jules18 said:
I thought this might be true, because both are solutions of chemicals that were referred to as acids.
Am I missing the definition of an acid?

That would be true if they were talking about solutions of acetic acid or hydrocyanic acid. However, they are talking about solutions of sodium acetate and sodium cyanide, the conjugate bases of the aforementioned acids.

1. What is the difference between an acid and a base?

Acids are substances that have a pH level lower than 7 and release hydrogen ions when dissolved in water. Bases, on the other hand, have a pH level higher than 7 and release hydroxide ions when dissolved in water. They have opposite chemical properties and can neutralize each other.

2. What is the purpose of exploring sodium acetate and cyanide solutions?

Sodium acetate and cyanide solutions are commonly used in various industries and scientific experiments. By exploring their properties and reactions, scientists can gain a better understanding of how they function and how they can be utilized in different applications.

3. How are pH levels measured in solutions?

pH levels are measured on a scale of 0-14 using a pH meter or pH paper. A solution with a pH of 7 is considered neutral, while values below 7 are acidic and values above 7 are basic. The lower the pH, the more acidic the solution is, and the higher the pH, the more basic it is.

4. Is sodium acetate or cyanide harmful to humans?

Sodium acetate is generally considered safe for human consumption and is commonly used in food and medical applications. However, cyanide is highly toxic and should be handled with extreme caution. In small amounts, it can be used for medicinal purposes, but larger doses can be fatal.

5. What are some real-world applications of sodium acetate and cyanide solutions?

Sodium acetate is commonly used as a food additive, a medical treatment for kidney disease and bladder infections, and as a buffering agent in the textile industry. Cyanide is used in gold and silver mining, as well as in the production of plastics, adhesives, and pharmaceuticals. However, its most infamous use is as a poison in chemical warfare and executions.