Exploring Diffraction Patterns from Laser & Filtered Light

In summary, the problem is that the diffraction pattern on the screen changes depending on the light source. With a laser, the diffraction pattern is a wave like pattern, but with a normal light source, the diffraction pattern is a single slit diffraction pattern.
planesinspace
1. The problem
A HeNe laser (wavelength = 633nm) is used to illuminate an opaque plate containing a a specified aperture. The light which passes through the aperture falls on a screen at a distance of 4 m from the aperture plate.

c) The aperture is replaced by two long rectangular slits, each of width 0.050mm and with their centers separated by 0.150mm. Make a third sketch of intensity vs position again with a numerical scale.

d)With the same aperture from c, the laser light source is replaced by a normal electric filament light bulb plus a red filter. Explain what will now be seen on the screen and why it differs from the results with a laser,

Homework Equations

c)I have drawn a wave like with a single slit diffraction, in an envelope with another wave. I used this equation y= m*lamda*D/d
where D = distance to screen and d = distance from centers of slits.

d) y= m*lamda*D/d

The Attempt at a Solution

c)So for y i got 0.01688, so I'm not sure whether to use this as my numerical scale, and whether to draw two separate waves or the wave envelope phenomena i'v seen in my textbook.

d)Due to y= m*lamda*D/d, y is proportional to lamda, so red being the highest wavelength , y will increase and the diffraction pattern will broaden.

Physics news on Phys.org
planesinspace said:
I have drawn a wave like with a single slit diffraction, in an envelope with another wave. I used this equation y= m*lamda*D/d
where D = distance to screen and d = distance from centers of slits.

I think it's more interested in what you'd see on the screen, not how the wave diffracts..

The full question says "make a sketch graph oh the intensity vs position on the screen."
so I am just using those graphs where there are a series of curves / maxima and minima on the x axis.

1. What is diffraction and how does it occur?

Diffraction is the bending or spreading of light as it passes through a narrow opening or around an obstacle. This phenomenon occurs due to the wave nature of light, where the light waves interfere with each other and create diffraction patterns.

2. How does laser light differ from regular light?

Laser light is different from regular light in that it is monochromatic, meaning it consists of a single wavelength or color. It is also coherent, meaning all the light waves are in phase with each other and travel in a straight line. This allows for the formation of clear and distinct diffraction patterns.

3. What can we learn from studying diffraction patterns from laser light?

By studying diffraction patterns from laser light, we can learn about the properties of light such as its wavelength, direction of propagation, and coherence. We can also use diffraction patterns to analyze the structure of objects, such as the spacing between atoms in a crystal lattice.

4. How do filters affect diffraction patterns?

Filters can affect diffraction patterns by selectively allowing certain wavelengths of light to pass through and blocking others. This can result in changes to the overall pattern or the intensity of certain areas within the pattern. Filters can also be used to enhance or isolate specific features in the diffraction pattern.

5. What are some real-world applications of diffraction patterns from laser light?

Diffraction patterns from laser light have various applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. They are used in techniques like X-ray crystallography to determine the structure of molecules, in holography to create 3D images, and in telecommunications to transmit data through fiber optic cables.