Exploring Friction and Gravity: Sticky-Shoe Lab Questions

In summary: The Attempt at a Solution1. When a piece of paper is placed between the shoe and the surface, the amount of friction is no longer dealing with rubber on a dry surface, but with a sheet of paper.2. Less force is required to pull the shoe because when a piece of paper is placed between the shoe and the surface, the coefficient of friction is wood on a dry surface.
anna sung

Homework Statement

1. what happened to the amount of friction between the surface and the shoe was the force of gravity was increased?

2. when a piece of paper was placed between the shoe and the surface(table), was more force, less force, or the same force needed to pull the shoe?

Homework Equations

we had a lab in physics class. it was called a sticky-shoe lab. these are the questions i need to answer but i am not sure if my answer is correct.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. the amount of friction would increase as the force of gravity increases, because greater force of gravity means more mass . (but i am not sure how to explain that friction will increase also)

2. less force was required to pull the shoe because when a piece of paper was placed beween the shoe and the surface, the coeifficient of firction was no longer dealing with rubber on a dry surface but a sheet of paper (wood?).
( here is it correct to say that the coeifficient of friction became wood on dry surface, and would this result less friction?)

please help me :)

Physics news on Phys.org
well for the first part assuming that this is all on a horizontal plane then would fn equal fg ? so if friction relies on fn and fn increases then...

i don't see anything wrong with your second answer

sorry about late reply.
my internet's too slow.
anyways thanks for checking over my question. do you think i could write some more to that question. and i don't know if i am wrong but answers to those two question seems very similar. do you think there is any more stuff i could write down to elaborate more?

if you want to elaborate more about the 2nd part talk about the natures of the materials like roughness and compare them to objects like a zipper

the first part you could do a net force statement and FBD to demonstate

okay thank you so much! :)

Related to Exploring Friction and Gravity: Sticky-Shoe Lab Questions

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are a set of three physical laws that describe the relationship between the forces acting on an object and its motion. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are considered the foundation of classical mechanics.

2. How do Newton's Laws apply to the Sticky-shoe lab?

In the Sticky-shoe lab, Newton's Laws can be observed in action as the sticky shoes demonstrate the principles of inertia, acceleration, and action-reaction. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest unless acted upon by an unbalanced force, which is demonstrated when the sticky shoe sticks to the surface and resists moving. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass, which can be seen as the sticky shoe accelerates when pulled by a greater force. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, which is demonstrated when the shoe sticks to the surface and the surface exerts an equal and opposite force on the shoe.

3. How does the Sticky-shoe lab relate to real-world applications?

The Sticky-shoe lab demonstrates the principles of Newton's Laws, which are the basis for understanding and predicting the motion of objects in the real world. These laws are used in various fields, including engineering, physics, and biomechanics, to design structures, machines, and vehicles that can move in a controlled and predictable manner.

4. What is the purpose of the Sticky-shoe lab?

The purpose of the Sticky-shoe lab is to provide a hands-on demonstration of the principles of Newton's Laws. By using sticky shoes to simulate different surfaces, students can observe and experience the effects of inertia, acceleration, and action-reaction in a fun and interactive way.

5. How does the Sticky-shoe lab promote critical thinking and problem-solving skills?

The Sticky-shoe lab requires students to think critically about the forces acting on the sticky shoe and the resulting motion. By analyzing the effects of different surfaces and forces, students can develop problem-solving skills as they determine the best strategy for moving the shoe and predicting its motion. This lab also encourages students to ask questions, make observations, and draw conclusions, which are essential skills in the scientific process.