Exploring the Relationship Between Band Gaps and Fermi Level in Insulators

In summary, the Fermi level of an insulator can be quite different from the middle of the band gap. It can be located anywhere within the gap, and it doesn't really matter as long as the material is considered an insulator.
erst
Does the (intrinsic) Fermi level of an insulator HAVE to lie very near the middle of the band gap? I know it might deviate slightly if electrons and holes have different effective masses, e.g. in Si. But can it be radically different? For example, are there insulators with 5 eV band gaps that have the Fermi level 4 eV above the valence band (so 1 eV from the conduction band)? Or is it a very general result that the Fermi level ends up very close to the middle?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's fairly common. The definition of the Fermi level is [itex]E_F = \lim_{T \rightarrow 0} \mu(T)[/itex] where [itex]\mu[/itex] is the chemical potential. I think you might get a more unusual value for a charge-transfer insulator, where the valence states are wide, like O 2p bands, and the conduction states are narrow, like a 3d or 4f type of band.

But usually it doesn't matter, since for most purposes the Fermi level could be taken to be any arbitrary value within the gap and you wouldn't know the difference for the vast majority of low temperature calculations.

It matters significantly for the calculations I'm trying to do. I want to get the equilibrium band alignment of a metal-insulator-metal structure (i.e. a tunnel junction). Depending on how the insulator is aligned with the metals, the electrons at the metal Fermi level see significantly different barrier heights, which impacts conductivity exponentially.

I thought that the Fermi level for wide band gap insulators (>5 eV) would be a well-defined quantity as it is for the common semiconductors. But from reading around, increasingly it seems that the quantity is almost meaningless and people read it off ab initio DOS rather arbitrarily. I guess that at the interface, there must be gap states that determine the alignment even if the bulk insulator Fermi level is meaningless. Is that what I should be concerned with for determining barrier height?

erst said:
Does the (intrinsic) Fermi level of an insulator HAVE to lie very near the middle of the band gap? I know it might deviate slightly if electrons and holes have different effective masses, e.g. in Si. But can it be radically different? For example, are there insulators with 5 eV band gaps that have the Fermi level 4 eV above the valence band (so 1 eV from the conduction band)? Or is it a very general result that the Fermi level ends up very close to the middle?

For an insulator, you can be quite sure that it's in the middle, in semiconductors it depends if there are added donors/acceptors.

n_i² = np =

n_i=N_c.exp]-(E_c-E_i)/kT]
With Nc the effective density (not sure if they call it like that in English), E_c energy of conductingband, E_i intrinstik Fermi level and np the amount of conducting electrons/holes

I'm curious if Dreak's point answers your question. For wide-bandgap materials, as with any, the position of the Fermi level is highly dependent on how much activated dopant there is. Or is this too basic an explanation to address your question?

Of course, the value of a nominally intrinsic (undoped) material is usually not perfectly centered between Ec and Ev because of unintentional doping. Perhaps that's why you read different values? For instance, AlN is quite easily grown as an insulating material normally, but if you accidentally get Se impurity, you quickly have a p-type semiconductor on your hands.

1. What is a band gap?

A band gap is a range of energy levels in a solid material where no electron states can exist. It is the energy difference between the top of the valence band and the bottom of the conduction band in a material's energy band structure.

2. How is the band gap related to the Fermi level?

The Fermi level is the highest energy level in the valence band that is occupied by electrons at absolute zero temperature. The band gap determines the energy required for an electron to move from the valence band to the conduction band, and therefore, it affects the position of the Fermi level in a material.

3. What factors affect the band gap in a material?

The band gap of a material is primarily determined by the type of bonding between atoms and the atomic structure. The size and arrangement of atoms in a material can also affect the band gap, as well as external factors such as pressure and temperature.

4. How does the band gap affect the electrical conductivity of a material?

The band gap plays a crucial role in the electrical conductivity of a material. Materials with a larger band gap have a higher resistance to electron flow, making them insulators. Materials with a smaller band gap have lower resistance and act as conductors. The size of the band gap also influences the type of semiconducting behavior in a material.

5. How is the band gap measured in a material?

The band gap of a material can be measured using various techniques such as optical absorption spectroscopy, photoemission spectroscopy, and electrical conductivity measurements. These methods involve measuring the amount of energy required for an electron to move from the valence band to the conduction band, which corresponds to the band gap energy in the material.