Exploring the Simplification of Logarithmic Expressions

In summary, the log laws are applied in the conversation to verify different equations involving logarithms. These laws include the product rule, quotient rule, and the power rule for logarithms. The conversation also mentions using the log laws to solve integrals involving sine and cosine functions.
yungman
I want to verify this:

[tex]2ln(x)-ln(2x)=ln(x^2)-ln(2x)=ln\left(\frac{x^2}{2x}\right)=ln\left(\frac x 2\right)[/tex]
[tex]ln(2x)-ln(x)=\ln\left(\frac {2x}{x}\right)=ln(2)[/tex]

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
They're pretty straight applications of the log laws

[itex]log_{c}(a^{b}) = blog_{c}(a)[/itex]

[itex]log_{c}(a) - log_{c}(b) = log_{c}(\frac{a}{b})[/itex]

yungman said:
I want to verify this:

[tex]2ln(x)-ln(2x)=ln(x^2)-ln(2x)=ln\left(\frac{x^2}{2x}\right)=ln\left(\frac x 2\right)[/tex]
[tex]ln(2x)-ln(x)=\ln\left(\frac {2x}{x}\right)=ln(2)[/tex]

Thanks
You can also do the first one as

##\displaystyle 2\ln(x)-\ln(2x)=2\ln(x)-(\ln(x)+\ln(2))=\ln(x)-\ln(2)=\ln(x/2)
##

SammyS said:
You can also do the first one as

##\displaystyle 2\ln(x)-\ln(2x)=2\ln(x)-(\ln(x)+\ln(2))=\ln(x)-\ln(2)=\ln(x/2)
##

Thanks, I am so rusty on these math as I don't use it often! I was stuck for a day in the other thread about sine and cosine integrals because of this. All of a sudden, I remember all the log things and it answer my question there.

Many thanks.

1. What is the natural logarithm?

The natural logarithm is a mathematical function that is the inverse of the exponential function. It is denoted as ln(x) and is defined as the power to which the base number e (approximately 2.71828) must be raised to equal the given number.

2. What is the difference between natural logarithm and common logarithm?

The main difference between the two is the base number used. The natural logarithm has a base of e, while the common logarithm has a base of 10. This means that the natural logarithm is more useful for mathematical and scientific calculations involving exponential growth or decay, while the common logarithm is more commonly used in everyday calculations.

3. How is the natural logarithm used in real life?

The natural logarithm has many real-life applications, such as in population growth and decay, half-life calculations in radioactive decay, and in financial calculations such as compound interest and continuous compounding. It is also used in statistics and data analysis to transform data that is skewed or has a wide range of values.

4. Can the natural logarithm of a negative number be calculated?

No, the natural logarithm of a negative number is undefined. This is because the natural logarithm function is only defined for positive numbers. Trying to calculate the natural logarithm of a negative number will result in an error or an imaginary number.

5. How is the natural logarithm related to e?

The natural logarithm is the inverse function of the exponential function with a base of e. This means that the natural logarithm undoes the effect of the exponential function. For example, if the exponential function takes a number x and raises it to the power of e, the natural logarithm will take that result and return the original number x. This relationship between the two functions is useful in solving exponential equations.