What Are the Speeds of the Fragments from a Space Rocket Explosion?

In summary, we are asked to determine the speeds of two pieces of a rocket ship that has exploded into three equal pieces with one traveling upward at 150 m/s. To solve this, we need to write momentum equations for each piece in the x and y directions, assuming no z motion.
judas_priest

Homework Statement

A rocket ship parked at rest in space suddenly explodes into 3 pieces of equal mass traveling in the directions shown. If the piece traveling upward has a speed of 150 m/s, what are the speeds of the other two pieces?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I conserve the momentum in this case? I'm clueless.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2 KB · Views: 702
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you mean conserve momentum.
Can you say anything about horizontal momentum?

judas_priest said:

Homework Statement

A rocket ship parked at rest in space suddenly explodes into 3 pieces of equal mass traveling in the directions shown. If the piece traveling upward has a speed of 150 m/s, what are the speeds of the other two pieces?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I conserve the momentum in this case? I'm clueless.

Write momentum equations for the three pieces in x and y. The assumption is that there is no z motion.

1. What causes a projectile to explode?

A projectile can explode due to various factors such as impact with a hard surface, internal pressure buildup, or chemical reactions within the projectile.

2. How fast does a projectile need to travel to cause an explosion?

The speed required for a projectile to explode depends on its composition and the force of impact. Generally, faster speeds result in a more powerful explosion.

3. Can an explosion of a projectile be controlled?

Yes, the explosion of a projectile can be controlled through careful design and engineering. This includes selecting materials that are less likely to explode and implementing safety features.

4. What are the dangers of an explosion of a projectile?

The dangers of an explosion of a projectile include potential injuries from shrapnel, high temperatures and pressure, and the release of harmful chemicals or gases.

5. How is an explosion of a projectile studied and prevented?

Scientists study the explosion of projectiles through experiments, simulations, and analysis of past incidents. Prevention techniques include proper handling and storage protocols, as well as implementing safety measures in design and usage.