Understanding Exponential Complex Numbers

In summary, the general rule for evaluating numbers in the form e^(ix) is to replace theta with the given value and use the formula e^{i\theta} = cos \theta + i sin \theta. This applies to both positive and negative values of i, as they can be rewritten using trigonometric identities.
adartsesirhc

Homework Statement

I've never understood [tex]e^{i\theta}[/tex] very well. I know that [tex]e^{i\theta} = cos \theta + i sin \theta[/tex], but how about [tex]e^{4i}[/tex]? Would this be [tex]cos 1 + 4i sin 1[/tex] or [tex]cos 4 + i sin 4[/tex]? What's the general rule for these kinds of numbers?

Homework Equations

[tex]e^{i\theta} = cos \theta + i sin \theta[/tex]
[tex]e^{i\pi} + 1 = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

None, really. Just wondering how to evaluate numbers like above.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure where you got cos(1) + 4i*sin(1) from. For e^(4i), you would simply replace theta with 4, which gives the latter of the two expressions above. I assume we're dealing with radian measure so cos(4) + i*sin(4) can be evaluated using a calculator. On the complex plane, the point would be in the third quadrant since pi < 4 < (3/2)pi.

adartsesirhc said:

Homework Statement

I've never understood [tex]e^{i\theta}[/tex] very well. I know that [tex]e^{i\theta} = cos \theta + i sin \theta[/tex], but how about [tex]e^{4i}[/tex]? Would this be [tex]cos 1 + 4i sin 1[/tex] or [tex]cos 4 + i sin 4[/tex]? What's the general rule for these kinds of numbers?
The "rule" is given in the formula you state: [tex]e^{i\theta}= cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta)[/tex]. In [tex]e^{4i}[/itex], the number multiplying i is "4": [itex]\theta= 4[/itex]. [tex]e^{4i}= cos(4)+ i sin(4)[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex]e^{i\theta} = cos \theta + i sin \theta[/tex]
[tex]e^{i\pi} + 1 = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

None, really. Just wondering how to evaluate numbers like above.

Hmm... so does this mean that whatever you multiply [tex]i[/tex] by will be the argument of the sine and cosine? But my differential equations book has

[tex]e^{-ibx} = cos bx - i sin bx[/tex].

How do I know if this isn't

[tex]e^{-ibx} = e^{i(-bx)} = cos (-bx) + i sin (-bx)[/tex]?

How do I tell when it's one and when it's the other?

OHHHH... never mind. =]

It just hit me: both are actually the same - just apply the appropriate trig identities.

1. What are exponential complex numbers?

Exponential complex numbers are a type of complex number expressed in the form of re, where r is the magnitude or modulus and θ is the angle or argument. They are a way to represent the magnitude and direction of a vector in the complex plane.

2. How are exponential complex numbers different from standard complex numbers?

Standard complex numbers are expressed in the form of a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. Exponential complex numbers, on the other hand, are expressed in polar form and provide a way to visualize and understand complex numbers in terms of magnitude and direction.

3. What is the purpose of using exponential complex numbers?

Exponential complex numbers are useful in many areas of mathematics and science, including electrical engineering, signal processing, and physics. They allow for a more intuitive understanding of complex numbers and make calculations involving complex numbers easier.

4. How are exponential complex numbers multiplied?

To multiply exponential complex numbers, you can use the law of exponents, where the magnitude is multiplied and the angle is added. For example, re * se = (rs)ei(θ+γ). This makes multiplying exponential complex numbers much simpler than multiplying standard complex numbers.

5. Are there any limitations to using exponential complex numbers?

Exponential complex numbers can only represent numbers in the complex plane, which means they cannot be used to represent real numbers. Additionally, they have limitations when it comes to representing certain mathematical operations, such as division and taking roots. In these cases, it is often easier to use standard complex numbers.