1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential complex numbers

1. Jul 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've never understood [tex]e^{i\theta}[/tex] very well. I know that [tex]e^{i\theta} = cos \theta + i sin \theta[/tex], but how about [tex]e^{4i}[/tex]? Would this be [tex]cos 1 + 4i sin 1[/tex] or [tex]cos 4 + i sin 4[/tex]? What's the general rule for these kinds of numbers?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]e^{i\theta} = cos \theta + i sin \theta[/tex]
    [tex]e^{i\pi} + 1 = 0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    None, really. Just wondering how to evaluate numbers like above.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2008 #2
    I'm not sure where you got cos(1) + 4i*sin(1) from. For e^(4i), you would simply replace theta with 4, which gives the latter of the two expressions above. I assume we're dealing with radian measure so cos(4) + i*sin(4) can be evaluated using a calculator. On the complex plane, the point would be in the third quadrant since pi < 4 < (3/2)pi.

4. Jul 29, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "rule" is given in the formula you state: [tex]e^{i\theta}= cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta)[/tex]. In [tex]e^{4i}[/itex], the number multiplying i is "4": [itex]\theta= 4[/itex]. [tex]e^{4i}= cos(4)+ i sin(4)[/tex].

5. Aug 12, 2008 #4
    Hmm... so does this mean that whatever you multiply [tex]i[/tex] by will be the argument of the sine and cosine? But my differential equations book has

[tex]e^{-ibx} = cos bx - i sin bx[/tex].

How do I know if this isn't

[tex]e^{-ibx} = e^{i(-bx)} = cos (-bx) + i sin (-bx)[/tex]?

How do I tell when it's one and when it's the other?

6. Aug 12, 2008 #5
    OHHHH... never mind. =]

It just hit me: both are actually the same - just apply the appropriate trig identities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?