Is Euler's Formula Enough to Prove Trigonometry in Complex Analysis?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving showing the equality of \overline{e^{i\theta}} and e^{-i\theta}. The solution involves using the fact that \overline{z} = z^{-1} and proving that \overline{e^{i\theta}} is equal to e^{-i\theta} through trigonometry and the Euler formula.
DEMJ

Homework Statement

Show that

[tex]\overline{e^{i\theta}} = e^{-i\theta}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I what's going through my mind is that the problem above is pretty much the same as saying [tex]\bar{z} = z^{-1}[/tex]

Then to prove it is all I need to say is that since [tex]\overline{e^{i\theta}} = (cos\theta - isin\theta)[/tex] and [tex]e^{-i\theta} = (cos\theta - isin\theta)[/tex]

so then they are equal. Is this sufficient or am I totally under thinking it?

Physics news on Phys.org
equal is equal. That's a silly problem. maybe show that bar above [tex]cos \theta + i sin \theta[/tex] just to be on the safe side.

Well that is how I would do it.

ignore my last post, do [tex]e^{-i\theta} = cos( -\theta) + i sin (-\theta) [/tex] and take it from there.

The reason being that you want to apply any factors in the exponent to [tex]\theta[/tex] rather than to i.

my opinion is to use trigonometry to prove exp functions and try to use reverse; i.e exp functions to prove trigonometry in complex analysis. that's my suggestions.
esp. Euler formula

What is exponential form?

Exponential form is a way of writing numbers using exponents. In this form, the number is expressed as a base number raised to a power.

How do you convert a number to exponential form?

To convert a number to exponential form, identify the base number and the power. For example, 100 can be written as 10 to the power of 2, or 102.

What are the advantages of using exponential form?

Exponential form allows for a more compact and efficient way of writing large numbers. It also makes it easier to perform calculations involving large numbers.

Can negative numbers be written in exponential form?

Yes, negative numbers can be written in exponential form. The base number remains the same, but the power is indicated by a negative sign. For example, -8 can be written as 2-3.

Are there any real-life applications of exponential form?

Yes, exponential form is commonly used in the fields of science, economics, and finance. It is used to represent data that grows or decays exponentially, such as population growth, compound interest, and radioactive decay.