1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential Form Question

1. Sep 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that

[tex]\overline{e^{i\theta}} = e^{-i\theta}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I what's going through my mind is that the problem above is pretty much the same as saying [tex]\bar{z} = z^{-1}[/tex]

Then to prove it is all I need to say is that since [tex]\overline{e^{i\theta}} = (cos\theta - isin\theta)[/tex] and [tex]e^{-i\theta} = (cos\theta - isin\theta)[/tex]

so then they are equal. Is this sufficient or am I totally under thinking it?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2009 #2
    equal is equal. That's a silly problem. maybe show that bar above [tex]cos \theta + i sin \theta[/tex] just to be on the safe side.

4. Sep 2, 2009 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well that is how I would do it.

5. Sep 2, 2009 #4
    ignore my last post, do [tex]e^{-i\theta} = cos( -\theta) + i sin (-\theta) [/tex] and take it from there.

The reason being that you want to apply any factors in the exponent to [tex]\theta[/tex] rather than to i.

6. Sep 2, 2009 #5
    my opinion is to use trigonometry to prove exp functions and try to use reverse; i.e exp functions to prove trigonometry in complex analysis. thats my suggestions.
    esp. Euler formula

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook