Express solution as bessel function

In summary, a Bessel function is a mathematical function used to solve differential equations and named after mathematician Friedrich Bessel. To express a solution as a Bessel function, specific properties and formulas are used. These functions have various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics, including wave propagation, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics. There are different types of Bessel functions, each with its own properties and applications. Bessel functions cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions and require specific techniques for calculation and manipulation.
Kazz81
Hi Guys, I'm an undergrad student...and i have a difficulty trying to solve

4xy" + 4y' + y = 0, and express the solution in term of Bessel function.

I have tried Frobenius method...then...it didn't work..and I'm really confused

Could anyone please help me with this?...i'd would really appreciate!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bessel fuinctions are defined as solutions to Bessel's equation.

What is Bessel's equation?

Can you, perhaps by changing varables, change your equation to Bessel's equation?

Even if I multiply x thru, then divide 4 thru...i still don't get (x^2)y...hmmm..(i.e. Bessel eqn order of zero)..

1. What is a Bessel function?

A Bessel function is a mathematical function that arises in many areas of physics and engineering. It is named after the mathematician Friedrich Bessel and is used to solve differential equations, particularly those involving circular or cylindrical symmetry.

2. How do you express a solution as a Bessel function?

To express a solution as a Bessel function, you first need to identify the differential equation you are trying to solve. Then, you can use specific properties and formulas of Bessel functions, such as the Bessel differential equation and recursion formula, to manipulate the equation and find a solution in terms of Bessel functions.

3. What are some applications of Bessel functions?

Bessel functions have various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are commonly used in solving problems involving wave propagation, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics. They also have applications in acoustics, electromagnetics, and signal processing.

4. Are there different types of Bessel functions?

Yes, there are several types of Bessel functions, including the first kind (Jn), second kind (Yn), modified Bessel functions (In and Kn), and spherical Bessel functions (jn and yn). Each type has its own specific properties and applications.

5. Can Bessel functions be expressed in terms of elementary functions?

No, Bessel functions cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions such as polynomials, exponential, and trigonometric functions. They are special functions that require specific formulas and techniques to calculate and manipulate.