1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expressing the limits of integration for radius in polar coordinates

1. Nov 7, 2013 #1
    i'm trying to integrate some some function bounded by the x-y domain of x2+y2=6y

which is a circle on the x-y plane shifted upward where the outer part of the circle is 6.

i'm trying to integrate a double integral.. ∫∫f(x)rdrdθ

i don't know how to express my limits of integration for r.

the only thing i can think of is going from 3 to 6 but then this means that i have a radius three units long going to a radius of 6 units long. what i'm looking for is a radius 0 units long to radius 3 units long, i just need this shifted up 3 units. how do i express my limits of integration for the r component?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can choose the origin of he polar system of coordinates at (0,3), and change the variable y to u=y-3 in the integrand.

ehild

4. Nov 7, 2013 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't need to shift the origin. Write the equation ##x^2+y^2=6y## in polar coordinates to get a simple polar equation in the form ##r = f(\theta)##, which will give you the ##r## bounds.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted