Extra Credit Question for my class, I don't think I did it correctly.

• Thread starter antonisz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary: When you do use an image to your post, make sure it's in focus, oriented the right way, well lit, etc. It seems like this should be obvious, but experience has shown that people frequently post incredibly poor images. Add it as an attachment to the post. Don't host it externally. That way it will remain on PF indefinitely, and your thread will remain useful to future visitors."In summary, Vehicle A is heading south towards atlantic city while Vehicle B is heading north towards Hoboken. In situations 1 and 2 described below, at t = 0s both vehicles are at a distance of separation of 400m and are moving towards each other.
antonisz
1. Vehicle A and Vehicle B are moving in opposite directions on the NJTP. Vehicle A is heading south toward atlantic city while vehicle B is heading north towards Hoboken. In situation 1 and 2 described below, at t = 0s both vehicles are at a distance of separation of 400m and are moving towards each other.

Situation 1: When vehicle A is moving at a constant velocity of 30 m/s and travels a distance of 120 m, the vehicles pass each other on the turnpike.

Situation 2: When vehicle A is moving at a constant velocity of 80 m/s and after a time of 3s, the vehicles pass each other on the turnpike.

For vehicle A label variables as: Via, Vfa, aa, da,ta
For vehicle B label variables as: Vib, Vfb, ab,db, tb

In the ORDER INDICATED:

(a) Calculate the initial velocity of vehicle B or Vib; and

(b) Then calculate the acceleration of vehicle B or ab

Show all work in DETAIL and keep all numerical values to the nearest hundredth value. Draw and label all pictures

Note: You will receive NO CREDIT if you first calculate part (b) and then part (a)

For situations 1 and 2

vib = constant ; vfb ≠ a constant value since its value changes w/ time

ab = constant

2. d = Vit + 1/2 at^2

3. I hope its okay if my attempt is in image format.

. I hope its okay if my attempt is in image format.
lI8He7v.jpg
Y84ybpJ.jpg
n6sPTNE.jpg
3bONKc7.jpg
6DsscjC.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, the pictures should read 1, 2, 5, 4, 3

Let me quote the guidelines (second pinned thread):

"5. Do not simply post images of the problem statement or your work.
While posting images may be convenient for you, it's actually one of the most effective ways of getting your request for help ignored. Images are often too big, too small, rotated, upside down, out of focus, dimly lit, or of otherwise poor quality, and your handwriting probably isn't as easy to read as you think it is. Images are a hindrance to the helpers as portions of the problem statement or your work can't easily be quoted. Using images also doesn't qualify as filling out the homework template, so your post may be deleted.

So type up the problem statement and your work. Think "If I can't be bothered to spend my time typing it, why should they be bothered to spend their time reading it?" Use scans or photos for supporting figures. You may, of course, attach an image of the problem statement in addition to the typed version; in fact, if it's a complicated or long problem, you probably should. But you should always provide a typed version as well.

When you do use an image to your post, make sure it's in focus, oriented the right way, well lit, etc. It seems like this should be obvious, but experience has shown that people frequently post incredibly poor images. Add it as an attachment to the post. Don't host it externally. That way it will remain on PF indefinitely, and your thread will remain useful to future visitors."

As a university teacher I can tell you that it is one of the worst things I know when students try to submit their homework by sending me several poorly photographed solutions in 5 different jpgs. It is typically difficult to read and requires 10 times the work to correct. If you want people to spend effort in helping you, at least make the effort to make it as easy as possible for them.

Orodruin said:
Let me quote the guidelines (second pinned thread):

"5. Do not simply post images of the problem statement or your work.
While posting images may be convenient for you, it's actually one of the most effective ways of getting your request for help ignored. Images are often too big, too small, rotated, upside down, out of focus, dimly lit, or of otherwise poor quality, and your handwriting probably isn't as easy to read as you think it is. Images are a hindrance to the helpers as portions of the problem statement or your work can't easily be quoted. Using images also doesn't qualify as filling out the homework template, so your post may be deleted.

So type up the problem statement and your work. Think "If I can't be bothered to spend my time typing it, why should they be bothered to spend their time reading it?" Use scans or photos for supporting figures. You may, of course, attach an image of the problem statement in addition to the typed version; in fact, if it's a complicated or long problem, you probably should. But you should always provide a typed version as well.

When you do use an image to your post, make sure it's in focus, oriented the right way, well lit, etc. It seems like this should be obvious, but experience has shown that people frequently post incredibly poor images. Add it as an attachment to the post. Don't host it externally. That way it will remain on PF indefinitely, and your thread will remain useful to future visitors."

As a university teacher I can tell you that it is one of the worst things I know when students try to submit their homework by sending me several poorly photographed solutions in 5 different jpgs. It is typically difficult to read and requires 10 times the work to correct. If you want people to spend effort in helping you, at least make the effort to make it as easy as possible for them.

Exactly right. Please type out the question next time. Thread locked.

I appreciate your effort in attempting to solve this problem. However, it is important to provide a clear and organized explanation of your calculations and methodology rather than just an image. This allows others to understand and verify your work.

In order to calculate the initial velocity of vehicle B, we can use the equation d = Vit + 1/2 at^2, where d is the distance, Vi is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration. We know that at t = 0s, the distance between the vehicles is 400m, and at t = 3s, the distance between the vehicles is 0m. Plugging in these values, we get:

400 = Vi(3) + 1/2 a(3)^2
0 = Vi(0) + 1/2 a(0)^2

Solving for Vi in the first equation, we get Vi = (400 - 1/2 a(3)^2)/3. Plugging this value into the second equation, we get:

0 = (400 - 1/2 a(3)^2)/3(0) + 1/2 a(0)^2
0 = 400 - 9/2 a^2
a = √(400/9) = 6.67 m/s^2

Now, we can use this value of acceleration to solve for Vi in the first equation:

400 = Vi(3) + 1/2 (6.67)(3)^2
Vi = (400 - 1/2 (6.67)(3)^2)/3 = 126.67 m/s

Therefore, the initial velocity of vehicle B is 126.67 m/s and the acceleration is 6.67 m/s^2. I have attached a diagram to visually represent this situation.

I hope this explanation helps and remember, as a scientist, it is important to clearly communicate your methodology and calculations in order to ensure accurate and replicable results. Good luck!

1. How do I know if I did the extra credit question correctly?

The best way to determine if you completed the extra credit question correctly is to check the answer key or consult with your teacher. They will be able to provide feedback and let you know if your answer is correct.

2. Can I still receive extra credit points if I didn't complete the question correctly?

It depends on the grading system and policies set by your teacher. Some teachers may offer partial credit for attempted answers, while others may only award extra credit for correct answers. It's best to check with your teacher for their specific policies.

3. How much extra credit will I receive for completing the question?

The amount of extra credit points awarded for completing the question will vary depending on the difficulty and importance of the question. Your teacher will determine the amount of extra credit points to be awarded for each question.

4. Is it worth attempting the extra credit question if I don't think I know the correct answer?

Yes, it's always worth attempting the extra credit question. Even if you don't know the correct answer, you may receive partial credit for your attempt. Plus, it's a great opportunity to challenge yourself and learn something new.

5. Can I ask for clarification or help on the extra credit question?

Yes, you can always ask your teacher for clarification or help on the extra credit question. They are there to support and guide you, and want to see you succeed. Don't be afraid to seek help if you need it.