1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Extremely hard concept

1. May 4, 2008 #1
    I am trying to prove that the Limit as p approaches infinity of {integral from 0 to 1[|f(t)|^p dt]}^(1/p) is in fact equal to the max of |f(x)| between [0,1].

Any suggestions im sure I need to set the limit to less than or equal to and greater than or equal to the max but i dont quite know how

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2008 #2
    One hint.... What is the most contributing term when you take the n th power of each element and sum them up,

keep it simple and start with taking two elements a,b and take the power of 20th...

4. May 4, 2008 #3
    im sorry im having a hard time folowing yor terminology is there any way to rephrase

5. May 5, 2008 #4
    Why is the following true?

[tex]
    \left(\int_0^1{|f(t)|^p dt}\right)^{1/p} \leq \left(\int_0^1{\underbrace{(\max{|f(t)|})^p}_{const} dt}\right)^{1/p}=\max|f(t)|\int_0^1{dt}=\max|f(t)|
    [/tex]
    This proof lacks only one limiting argument, can you find it?

6. May 5, 2008 #5
    ok so how do I show the opposite or that the function is greater than or equal to the max

7. May 5, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What function and the max of what?

8. May 5, 2008 #7
    the function is just vague f(t) and the max is the maximum of |f(t)| between [0,1]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?