Is there a function f such that f^2=f and f is not equal to 0 or 1?

• Thread starter robertjordan
  • Start date
In summary, F^2=f but f=/=1 and f=/=0 is a mathematical equation commonly used in algebra and calculus to solve for unknown variables. It is important to specify that f cannot equal 1 or 0 because it affects the outcome of the equation. This equation is used in scientific research to model and analyze various phenomena, and it can also be applied to real-life situations such as population growth and engineering. Common mistakes when using this equation include forgetting to specify the conditions and assuming that it can be simplified to F=f.
robertjordan

Homework Statement

Show there exists a function [itex]f: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] s.t. [itex]f^2=f[/itex] but [itex]f\neq{0,1}[/itex].

Homework Equations

Here [itex]f^2=f[/itex] means for arbitrary [itex]a\in{\mathbb{R}}, f(a)^2=f(a)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I came up with the function [itex]f(a)= \begin{cases}
0, & \text{if }a\text{> 0 } \\
1, & \text{if }a \leq 0
\end{cases}[/itex]What do you guys think? Is this right? I figured the only real numbers r for which r^2=r are r=0 and r=1 so the function f will have to only spit out those values or else there would be some input a for which f(a)^2=/=f(a)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
robertjordan said:

Homework Statement

Show there exists a function [itex]f: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] s.t. [itex]f^2=f[/itex] but [itex]f\neq{0,1}[/itex].

Homework Equations

Here [itex]f^2=f[/itex] means for arbitrary [itex]a\in{\mathbb{R}}, f(a)^2=f(a)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I came up with the function [itex]f(a)= \begin{cases}
0, & \text{if }n\text{> 0 } \\
1, & \text{if }n \leq 0
\end{cases}[/itex]
Make that:
[itex]f(x)= \begin{cases}
0, & \text{if }x > 0 \\
1, & \text{if }x \leq 0
\end{cases}[/itex]

robertjordan said:
What do you guys think? Is this right? I figured the only real numbers r for which r^2=r are r=0 and r=1 so the function f will have to only spit out those values or else there would be some input a for which f(a)^2=/=f(a)
What you have works, but I don't think it's what the write of the problem had in mind. Instead, I think they had a kind of identity function in mind - one whose output is the same as its input.

Mark44 said:
Make that:
[itex]f(x)= \begin{cases}
0, & \text{if }x > 0 \\
1, & \text{if }x \leq 0
\end{cases}[/itex]

Thanks. Fixed it.

What you have works, but I don't think it's what the write of the problem had in mind. Instead, I think they had a kind of identity function in mind - one whose output is the same as its input.

But we need [itex]f(a)^2=f(a)[/itex] for all real numbers a. If we make [itex]f(a)=a[/itex], then in order for [itex]f(a)^2=f(a)[/itex], we would need [itex]a^2=a[/itex] which is clearly not true in general...

Can you elaborate some more on what you mean? I think I missed it...

Mark44 said:

Assuming that robertjordan hasn't completely misunderstood the question, they definitely aren't looking for an identity function.

robertjordan said:
But we need [itex]f(a)^2=f(a)[/itex] for all real numbers a. If we make [itex]f(a)=a[/itex], then in order for [itex]f(a)^2=f(a)[/itex], we would need [itex]a^2=a[/itex] which is clearly not true in general...

Can you elaborate some more on what you mean? I think I missed it...

Normally [itex]f^{2}=f \circ f[/itex], so I think Mark44 thought that that's what the question writer meant by [itex]f^{2}[/itex]. Certainly if the question writer did mean [itex]f \circ f[/itex] then a (the) real identity function would be correct, but you clarified that the writer meant [itex]f \cdot f[/itex] so Mark44 is wrong.

The notation used here is confusing to me, and appears to be in contradiction to itself.
robertjordan said:
f2 as used above normally indicates function composition, as in f(f(x)).
robertjordan said:
To my mind, the notation used immediately above contradicts the meaning at the top of this page. Even if f2 denotes multiplication, it should be written as [f(a)]2 to be clear.

As an aside, if [itex]f^{2}[/itex] was being used to mean [itex]f \circ f[/itex], then the function given wouldn't work because we would have [itex]f^{2}(x)=f(0)=1[/itex] for [itex]x>0[/itex].

ETA: As well as [itex]f^{2}(x)=f(1)=0[/itex] for [itex]x \leq 0[/itex].

Last edited:

Related to Is there a function f such that f^2=f and f is not equal to 0 or 1?

1. What is the meaning of F^2=f but f=/=1 and f=/=0?

F^2=f but f=/=1 and f=/=0 is a mathematical equation that represents the square of a function, where the function f is not equal to 1 or 0. It is commonly used in algebra and calculus to solve for unknown variables.

2. Why is it important to specify that f cannot equal 1 or 0 in this equation?

Specifying that f cannot equal 1 or 0 is important because it affects the outcome of the equation. If f were equal to 1, then the equation would simplify to F^2=1, which would not provide any new information. Similarly, if f were equal to 0, the equation would become F^2=0, which would also not provide any useful information.

3. How is this equation used in scientific research?

This equation is used in various fields of science, such as physics and chemistry, to model and analyze various phenomena. It can also be used to solve equations and determine unknown variables in experiments and studies.

4. Can this equation be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, this equation can be applied to real-life situations. For example, it can be used to model the growth of a population over time or the decay of a radioactive substance. It can also be used in engineering to design and optimize structures and systems.

5. What are some common mistakes made when using this equation?

One common mistake when using this equation is to forget to specify that f cannot equal 1 or 0. Another mistake is to assume that the equation can be simplified to F=f, which is only true when f equals 1 or 0. It is important to double-check the conditions and assumptions when using this equation to avoid errors.