F=MA 2009 #23 (Power of a Spring)

In summary: That is essentially what we are looking for. We are trying to find the times at which the instantaneous power is greatest, and those times correspond to the times when the kinetic energy is changing the fastest. So the approach I gave above is essentially a more comprehensive way of finding the times where the kinetic energy is changing the fastest.
SignaturePF

Homework Statement

https://aapt.org/physicsteam/2010/upload/2009_F-maSolutions.pdf

Homework Equations

P = Fv

The Attempt at a Solution

T = 2∏√(k/m)
x = Asin(wt)
v = Awcos(wt)
a = -Aw2sin(wt)

We are trying to maximize power, which is both dW/dt and Fv.
Force is ma, given that mass is constant, we need to maximize acceleration.
We need to maximize the velocity as well.
Writing this out:
Power = Fv
= -A^2w^3sin(wt)cos(wt)
To maximize sin(wt)cos(wt), we should let (wt) = pi/4
wt = pi/4
2pi/Tt = w
2pi /Tt = pi/4
2/Tt = 1/4
1/T = 1/8t
T = 8t

This is utterly wrong. How can I do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know those questions cut-and-paste nicely right?

23. A mass is attached to an ideal spring. At time t = 0 the spring is at its natural length and the mass is given an initial velocity; the period of the ensuing (one-dimensional) simple harmonic motion is T . At what time is the power delivered to the mass by the spring first a maximum?

(A) t = 0
(B) t = T /8
(C) t = T /4
(D) t = 3T /8 ← CORRECT
(E) t = T /2

We are trying to maximize power, which is both dW/dt and Fv.
Force is ma, given that mass is constant, we need to maximize acceleration.
We need to maximize the velocity as well.
It occurs to me that in SHM, the force has a special relationship with position, and so does the velocity.

F = ma = md^2x/dt^2
F = mdv/dt
Power = d^2x/dt^2 * dx/dt
Power = d^3x/dt^3
Power = -Aw^3cos(wt)?

Actually I think I violated rules of multiplication.

Your method involving F*v is FINE. You just didn't take into account the negative sign on the sin(wt)cos(wt), which changes the phase of the instantaneous power oscillation. Pi/4 turns out to be a minimum, and the maximum occurs at some multiple of this. To be safe, differentiate P(t), set it to zero, and figure out the difference between maxima and minima by looking at the second derivative. Use a trig identity to turn sin(wt)cos(wt) into something else that has no multiplication, so that you don't have to bother with product rule.

Pi/4 gives you T/8, (I think you just messed up your algebra there).

So let's call Aw^2 k for simplicity

P is -ksin(2wt)/2
P' is -k/4cos(2wt)
We need to find where cos is -1 so P is positive and maximized. This occurs at 3pi\2

2wt = 3pi\2
w = 3pi\4t
1/T= 2pi\
T = 3\8t

SignaturePF said:
So let's call Aw^2 k for simplicity

P is -ksin(2wt)/2
P' is -k/4cos(2wt)
We need to find where cos is -1 so P is positive and maximized. This occurs at 3pi/2

Wt = 3pi/2
W = 3pi/2t
T = 2pi/3

A couple of things wrong here:

1. The derivative P' is -kcos(2wt). You get a factor of 2 from your differentiation, not a factor of 1/2 coming out. You did your chain rule wrong.

2. The extrema (maxima and minima) of P occur where P' is ZERO. To figure out which are maxima and which are minima, you need to look at P'' (...remember differential calculus?)

You need the two because you only have one sinxcosx not 2 as required by the double angle formula

SignaturePF said:
You need the two because you only have one sinxcosx not 2 as required by the double angle formula

I'm not disputing the factor of 1/2 in P. I'm disputing the factor of 1/4 in P'.

(1/2) * 2 = 1, NOT 1/4.

Edit: It doesn't matter too much, because it doesn't affect what wt has to be in order to maximize the function.

The long way would be needed to gain understanding - isn't there a shorter approach by noticing that all the times are multiples of T/8 (multiples of pi/4 phase)? Those seem like points that are easy to find on a sinusoidal graph.

Arn't we looking for where the kinetic energy vs time graph is changing the fastest?
Or did I miss something?

What is F=MA 2009 #23 (Power of a Spring)?

F=MA 2009 #23 (Power of a Spring) is a physics problem that involves calculating the power of a spring using the equation F=MA, where F is the force applied to the spring, M is the mass of the object attached to the spring, and A is the acceleration of the object.

How do I solve F=MA 2009 #23 (Power of a Spring)?

To solve F=MA 2009 #23 (Power of a Spring), you will need to know the values of F, M, and A. Once you have these values, simply plug them into the equation F=MA and solve for P, which represents the power of the spring.

What is the significance of F=MA 2009 #23 (Power of a Spring)?

F=MA 2009 #23 (Power of a Spring) is a useful equation in physics that helps us understand the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration. By using this equation, we can calculate the power of a spring and understand how much work it can do in a given situation.

What are some real-life applications of F=MA 2009 #23 (Power of a Spring)?

F=MA 2009 #23 (Power of a Spring) has many real-life applications, such as in car suspension systems, pogo sticks, and trampolines. It is also used in engineering and design to determine the strength and power of various springs and other mechanical devices.

Are there any limitations to using F=MA 2009 #23 (Power of a Spring)?

While F=MA 2009 #23 (Power of a Spring) is a useful equation, it does have its limitations. It assumes that the spring is an idealized object with no mass or internal resistance. In reality, most springs have some mass and internal resistance, which can affect their power output.