F=MA 2009 Exam # 18 (Pendulum, a small peg, and mass m)

In summary, the question involves a simple pendulum of length L being suspended by a string attached to a fixed pivot point and a small peg placed 2L/3 below the pivot. The mass is displaced 5 degrees from the vertical and released. The solution involves considering two motions - one about the peg and the other about the pivot - and calculating the time it takes for the pendulum to return to its starting position by breaking it down into stages.
SignaturePF

Homework Statement

https://aapt.org/physicsteam/2010/upload/2009_F-maSolutions.pdf
# 18

Homework Equations

T = 2∏√(L/g)

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I'm not sure how at all to do this question. All I know that the distance from the small peg to mass m is L/3 - so that should be accounted for. What throws me off is how the pendulum starts of rotating about the small peg and should end up rotating about the fixed pivot point. I don't know how to represent that in equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can take this as a combination of two motions, one about the pivot point and the other about the small peg. When it is released, it performs motion about the pivot point. Can you find the time it takes to reach the mean position?

How would I do that?

SignaturePF said:
How would I do that?

You have the time period of the motion. (See that the angular displacement is of 5 degrees only, it will perform SHM!). The time period of SHM is the complete time it takes to perform one complete oscillation. What time it takes to reach the mean position from the extreme position? T/4. Do you see why?

Ya I see why. It's because it takes T/4 to get to the mean. T/4 to get to the right extreme, and then the reverse to get back. So it makes sense that its T/4.
What's next?

SignaturePF said:
Ya I see why. It's because it takes T/4 to get to the mean. T/4 to get to the right extreme, and then the reverse to get back. So it makes sense that its T/4.
What's next?

You should be able to do it now. When it reaches the mean position, it performs SHM about the small peg. It goes to the extreme and again back to mean. You can calculate this time by using the time period of SHM about the small peg. When it reaches the mean position, it head backs to its initial position.

18. A simple pendulum of length L is constructed from a point object of mass m suspended by a massless string attached to a fixed pivot point. A small peg is placed a distance 2L/3 directly below the fixed pivot point so that the pendulum would swing as shown in the figure below[*]. The mass is displaced 5 degrees from the vertical and released. How long does it take to return to its starting position?

[*] the diagram did not copy - it shows the setup as described. The peg is dircetly below the pivot. The pendulum is displaced to the right and it shows that the string wraps the peg when it tries to swing to the left.

So there are two motions - one is a pendulum about the peg and the other about the pivot - they have to join up smoothly. I think, here, the lynchpin is to think about the motion in stages - the time taken to swing from +5deg to 0deg, the time to swing from 0 to the far left, then back again, and the time to swing back to +5deg.

[edit - oh I see I was beaten to it :) ]

1. What is the equation F=MA and how is it related to the 2009 Exam #18 question?

The equation F=MA is the formula for Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In the 2009 Exam #18 question, the equation is used to calculate the force acting on the pendulum due to gravity.

2. How does the small peg affect the pendulum in the 2009 Exam #18 question?

The small peg acts as a pivot point for the pendulum to swing from. It also adds a small amount of friction, which can affect the motion of the pendulum.

3. How can the mass of the pendulum affect the period of its oscillation in the 2009 Exam #18 question?

The period of a pendulum's oscillation is determined by its length and the acceleration due to gravity. However, in this question, the mass of the pendulum also plays a role in the period calculation as it affects the force acting on the pendulum.

4. Can the mass of the pendulum be changed in the 2009 Exam #18 question?

Yes, the mass of the pendulum can be changed. The mass is represented by the variable "m" in the equation F=MA, and can be altered by changing the weight or size of the pendulum's bob.

5. How can you determine the acceleration due to gravity from the information given in the 2009 Exam #18 question?

The acceleration due to gravity can be calculated by rearranging the equation F=MA to solve for "a" and substituting the given values of force, mass, and length into the equation. Alternatively, the value of g can also be found by measuring the period of the pendulum's oscillation and using the formula T=2π√(L/g).