Solving F(x,v) for x: Deriving x as a Function of Time

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving finding x as a function of time for a given function F(x,v) = kvx. The participants discuss deriving v as a function of position and then deriving x as a function of time. However, the solution presents problems and the function F is deemed unrealistic. One participant suggests solving a differential equation to find x as a function of time. The conversation ends with a thank you for the help.
Berko
I was given the following problem for a homework assignment:

Given F(x,v) = kvx where k is positive and the velocity is v-nought at x = 0, t = 0, what is x as a function of time?

First I derived v as a function of position:

v = v-nought + kx^2/2m

Then, I derived x as a function of time:

x = Sqrt[2mv-nought/k]tan(t*Sqrt[kv-nought/2m])

My problem with this solution is that x is then undefined for various points in time, plus the fact that it jumps from inifnity to negative infinity when it is undefined.

Now, if this is correct, it can be used as proof that the function as given cannot conform to anything in reality. However, it just may be plain out wrong. If it is wrong, I was wondering if someone might supply me with the correct answer as well as how to go about getting it.

Thank you very much for your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
F(x,v) doesn't seem to tell us anything useful. It's just a random function, as far as I can see. Therefore, v is unconstrained, and x could be anything as a function of time.

Edit to add:

Ah...hang on. Is F a force?

If F = kvx is the force on the particle, then:

ma = kvx,

which means

[tex]m \frac{d^2 x}{dt^2} = kx \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

Can you solve that differential equation?

Yes, it is a force, and I wrote kvx = ma = mv(dv/dx).

So, kx/m dx = dv, and

kx^2/2m = v - v-nought.

Therefore, v = v-nought + kx^2/2m = dx/dt.

I then separated variables again and solved for x as a function of time, which resulted in my result written up in my first post, aloing with the problems it carries.

Ah, yes. I forgot that a = v(dv/dx).

I haven't checked your final answer, but it's probably correct. Your conclusion that the force is unrealistic seems sensible to me.

Thank you.

1. What is the purpose of solving F(x,v) for x and deriving x as a function of time?

The purpose of this process is to determine how the position (x) of an object changes over time, given its initial position and velocity. This is important in understanding the motion of objects and predicting their future positions.

2. How is F(x,v) related to the motion of an object?

F(x,v) represents the net force acting on an object, which is responsible for its acceleration and subsequent motion. By solving this equation for x, we can determine the position of the object at any given time.

3. What are the steps involved in solving F(x,v) for x and deriving x as a function of time?

The first step is to identify the initial position (x0) and velocity (v0) of the object. Next, we use the appropriate equations of motion, such as F=ma and x=x0 + v0t + 0.5at2, to manipulate the F(x,v) equation and isolate x. Finally, we rearrange the equation to express x as a function of time (x(t)) and solve for any unknown variables.

4. What are the units of measurement for x and time in this equation?

The units of measurement for x will depend on the specific problem being solved, but it is typically measured in meters (m). Time is measured in seconds (s).

5. Can this method be applied to any type of motion?

Yes, this method can be applied to any type of motion, as long as the initial position and velocity are known and the forces acting on the object can be determined. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects in various scenarios.