Factor expression A so that it looks like expression B

• Thread starter sharpycasio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, the question is about factoring a given expression into the form shown by WolframAlpha. The attempt at a solution involved rearranging the terms, but the person is unsure how to proceed. The solution is to rearrange the terms as -a^2b+a^2c+ab^2-ac^2-b^2c+bc^2, which can then be factored as -(a-b)(a-c)(b-c). The person expresses gratitude for the help.
sharpycasio

Homework Statement

This question stems from this one: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=642712

I think I know how to solve it now. The only problem is I have to show how to factor this expression into the form WolframAlpha shows.

[itex]-a^2 b + a b^2 + a^2 c - b^2 c - a c^2 + b c^2[/itex] → [itex]-(a-b)(a-c)(b-c)[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did this but then I don't know how to proceed.

[tex]ab(b-a)+ac(a-c)+bc(c-b)[/tex]

Please help. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
By rearranging it like so:
[itex]−a^2b+ab^2+a^2c−b^2c−ac^2+bc^2 \rightarrow −a^2b+a^2c+ab^2−ac^2−b^2c+bc^2 [/itex]

Last edited:
You're a genius! Thank you. :)

1. How can I manipulate factor A to make it resemble expression B?

To make factor A look like expression B, you can use various mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. You can also use exponential and logarithmic functions, as well as trigonometric functions, depending on the complexity of the two expressions.

2. Can I use a different variable for factor A to achieve expression B?

Yes, you can use a different variable for factor A to transform it into expression B. This can be done by substituting the original variable with a new one and then manipulating it using mathematical operations. Just make sure to keep track of the changes to avoid any errors.

3. Are there any restrictions in manipulating factor A to look like expression B?

There are no specific restrictions, but it is important to keep in mind that the final expression should still have the same meaning as the original factor A. It should also follow the rules of mathematics and be logically valid.

4. Can I use brackets or parentheses when manipulating factor A to resemble expression B?

Yes, you can use brackets or parentheses to group terms and control the order of operations. This can be especially helpful when dealing with more complex expressions. Just remember to apply the correct mathematical rules when using brackets or parentheses.

5. Is there a specific method or approach I should use to transform factor A into expression B?

There is no one specific method or approach to follow when transforming factor A into expression B. It will depend on the specific expressions and the desired outcome. It is important to have a good understanding of mathematical principles and rules to choose the most efficient and accurate method for the transformation.