Factor of 1/2 in Hubbard Hamiltonian?

In summary, the factor of 1/2 in the Hubbard Hamiltonian is a scaling factor that accounts for electron-electron interactions in the system. It is necessary to accurately describe repulsive interactions between electrons and represents the fact that electrons with opposite spins do not interact. This factor significantly affects the properties of a material, such as electron interactions, electronic density of states, and material behavior at different temperatures and pressures. It can also be adjusted as the Hubbard parameter to study different phases and transitions in the material's behavior.
thisisphysics
Homework Statement
Hey! So I'm reading an intro to QFT book this summer for self-enrichment, it's not for a class., So, the author goes through the Hubbard model a bit, but I'm confused about one of the steps of the derivation, and I'm sure I'm missing something super simple, so any help would be appreciated. This is the derivation: https://imgur.com/8OWuKvX.

So, my question is: what happens to the 1/2? I understand that U=V_iiii, and all the other elements of V are 0, so the sum collapses. The author is simply substituting the number operators in, but where would an extra factor of 2 come in to cancel the 1/2?
Relevant Equations
For those that can't open the link, the author essentially writes that the potential energy term of the Hamiltonian is equal to :

$$ \frac{1}{2} \sum_{ijkl\sigma\sigma'} c_{i\sigma}^{\dagger} c_{j\sigma'}^{\dagger} V_{ijkl} c_{k\sigma'}c_{l\sigma} $$ Then, we assume that the potential energy is constant and significant only when electrons are at the same site i.e. $$ U = V_{iiii}$$ So, finally, the potential energy term simplifies to $$U \sum_{i} n_{i, spin up} n_{i, spin down}$$

So, what happens to the factor of 1/2?
Above

Physics news on Phys.org
So, in the majority of cases with Hamiltonians like this the 1/2 term is to deal with the double counting of states. Look at the original summation term ##\sum_{ijkl\sigma\sigma'}##. Based on the anticommutation relations $$\lbrace c^{\dagger}_{i},c^{\dagger}_{j}\rbrace=0$$ $$\lbrace c_{i},c_{j}\rbrace=0$$ and $$\lbrace c_{i},c^{\dagger}_{j}\rbrace=\delta_{ij}$$ We see that the relevant terms that remain are $$c^{\dagger}_{i\uparrow}c^{\dagger}_{i\downarrow}c_{i\downarrow}c_{i\uparrow}+c^{\dagger}_{i\downarrow}c^{\dagger}_{i\uparrow}c_{i\uparrow}c_{i\downarrow}$$ Looking back at the anticommutations we see that this becomes $$c^{\dagger}_{i\uparrow}c^{\dagger}_{i\downarrow}c_{i\downarrow}c_{i\uparrow}+c^{\dagger}_{i\uparrow}c^{\dagger}_{i\downarrow}c_{i\downarrow}c_{i\uparrow}$$ So, the states are double counted and as stated the 1/2 takes care of that.

• Love
Likes thisisphysics
SisypheanZealot said:
So, in the majority of cases with Hamiltonians like this the 1/2 term is to deal with the double counting of states. Look at the original summation term ##\sum_{ijkl\sigma\sigma'}##. Based on the anticommutation relations $$\lbrace c^{\dagger}_{i},c^{\dagger}_{j}\rbrace=0$$ $$\lbrace c_{i},c_{j}\rbrace=0$$ and $$\lbrace c_{i},c^{\dagger}_{j}\rbrace=\delta_{ij}$$ We see that the relevant terms that remain are $$c^{\dagger}_{i\uparrow}c^{\dagger}_{i\downarrow}c_{i\downarrow}c_{i\uparrow}+c^{\dagger}_{i\downarrow}c^{\dagger}_{i\uparrow}c_{i\uparrow}c_{i\downarrow}$$ Looking back at the anticommutations we see that this becomes $$c^{\dagger}_{i\uparrow}c^{\dagger}_{i\downarrow}c_{i\downarrow}c_{i\uparrow}+c^{\dagger}_{i\uparrow}c^{\dagger}_{i\downarrow}c_{i\downarrow}c_{i\uparrow}$$ So, the states are double counted and as stated the 1/2 takes care of that.
Thank you! This makes perfect sense.

No problem

1. What is the significance of the factor of 1/2 in the Hubbard Hamiltonian?

The factor of 1/2 in the Hubbard Hamiltonian represents the spin degeneracy of the electrons. In other words, it accounts for the fact that electrons can have two possible spin states, up or down, and thus only half of the total number of electrons contribute to the energy of the system.

2. How does the factor of 1/2 affect the energy levels in the Hubbard model?

The factor of 1/2 in the Hubbard Hamiltonian leads to a splitting of the energy levels in the Hubbard model. This is because the electrons with different spin states have different energies, and the factor of 1/2 accounts for this difference.

3. Can the factor of 1/2 be changed in the Hubbard Hamiltonian?

Yes, the factor of 1/2 can be adjusted in the Hubbard Hamiltonian to account for different spin degeneracies. For example, in the case of spinless fermions, the factor of 1/2 is not necessary and can be removed from the Hamiltonian.

4. What is the physical interpretation of the factor of 1/2 in the Hubbard Hamiltonian?

The factor of 1/2 in the Hubbard Hamiltonian can be interpreted as the ratio of the number of possible spin states to the total number of electrons in the system. It represents the probability of finding an electron in a particular spin state.

5. How does the factor of 1/2 affect the behavior of electrons in the Hubbard model?

The factor of 1/2 plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of electrons in the Hubbard model. It affects the energy levels and the spin states of the electrons, which in turn influence their interactions and dynamics within the system.